Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

I tried neoprene and found it too soft. The original issue was with my Hellcat (8lbs) which has twistnturn retracts fitted and has damaged countless die-cast trunnions  until I used the 6mm silicone sheet. I have since used it on all my models, obviously it won't help a 90° landing approach 😉 

So you stick it between the U/C itself and the mounting plate? Did you use 6mm longer self tappers to compensate?

Morning All,

As some of you are aware (Spitfire Thread) I have been working on 3D printed wheels and tyres. No doubt as most of you have found what is available commercially is always a make do and mend or 'Meehh that's close enough'.

With all the effort I put into making my models look as good as I can, I have always not been happy with the wheels.

The Spitfire wheels have turned out well, anyway I think they're good, so...

After some discussion with Richard we are looking to try a range of wheels/tyres specifically for his models and will be available from his website.

These will be made to order once all the designs are complete, Please be aware that 3D printing, especially the tyres, is a long process due to the printing requirements of the material used. To give you an idea a set of hubs 5 hrs, but a 2.75" tyre takes 9 1/2 hrs and a 3" tyre 12 1/2 hrs.... each! And that is if there is no print problems.

I will try my best to get the design as close to the real item but will have to allow for the strength and integrity of the printed hub and wheel.

The hubs will have oil-lite bearing inserts.

To start with we discussed a set for the following of his kits, Spitfire 2.75" (complete), Mustang 2.75" and Hurricane 3"

Once all is ready I'll let you know when it's on his website.

An example of why I started this.

I have a VQ models Hellcat 61" Which I like but wheels... see for yourself.

Original supplied tyre and wheel.

2113016836_OriginalVQTyre.thumb.jpg.cad85aa8635dff681b5cae7201e9e93b.jpg

Not happy with them so tried the Hobby*ing 3" 'scale' wheels.

1561681053_Hobbykingtyre.thumb.jpg.34e99336e8185da1261bf49d9f2ae163.jpg

Better but still Meehhh.

So Roll out (excuse the pun) my design taken from drawings of the Hellcat.

356470115_Mytyre.thumb.jpg.99c5189f81178f32a9ef5bf0d20d2212.jpg

• Like 2

Just a quick update on the wheels, specifically the Mustang, one step back....

20220806_150526.thumb.jpg.dc57bf0c191479c2cdc69591d2066704.jpg

Birds nest soup anyone? (I wouldn't it's a bit rubbery)

The print had come off the bed so it did it's own thing!

I was trying a print to get a diamond pattern for the tyre but even on the piece that had printed wasn't very good.

20220806_150542.thumb.jpg.f9e9a2d185108c4efd1aa6c1395c8632.jpg

So... back to the CAD and after a lot of thought and re-design tried again.

20220806_150446.thumb.jpg.b8000e0bd77ef8e6919b60ac2d3f3c01.jpg

Now THAT'S looking better.

Also solved the print release issue as well so now it stays put. The finished print and fit on the hubs.

20220806_192304.thumb.jpg.0620640311f3b84100d7840e1835b207.jpg

Also managed to find out how to add the text to the surface.

20220806_192309.thumb.jpg.73d0a9b3c6f2ed200d500dc22e41f57e.jpg

These wheels are going on my P51 and decided to use up the last of the bearings as my wire legs are definitely 4mm exact. All the future wheels will have Oilite bearings in.

As My model is the Berlin Express I just had to paint the white walls and red hubs.

Fitted to my Mustang.

20220807_090034.thumb.jpg.2d219cc4b7af3e801ef98e4ab9b85502.jpg

I am currently working on the Hurricane wheels and Tyres will keep you informed, if your interested of course?

• Like 3

Ron, the picture you posted is interesting as it's an early 5 spoke wheel with a later ribbed tread. The  best bit I found when trying to find out what pattern was used with what hub it turned out there were quite a few Spitfires with odd tyres fitted.

Depending on what was available at the time of replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a quick go on Fusion360 after all the good stuff going on here and tried to design a new version of Glens fancy prop bits. 

I see a number of FMS Mustang users put a cable tie in the prop holder to give them more pitch. 

My model seems to be using very little battery I wondered if a bit more pitch might give it a bit more punch.   

I have a Resin printer rather than FDM but its been a fun first design project.  I will print them out and see what happens.... 

Would love to work with some guys to help design some bits and pieces

Jonathan 

The zip tie mod was designed for the standard 540KV motor. You shouldn't need it for the 580kv  preditor motor. I get a 6.5min flight times with a 4AHR battery. 

If you have a watt meter see what amps you are pulling stationary. The Preditor has a max of 56A but you certainly don't want to be pulling that for more than a couple of seconds.

Look into this before trying to mod it.

I have the zip tie mod on my fms p51 540kv and my flight times have dropped from 9 mins to 5.5 mins.

If you want to look into part design you need a good source of accurate drawings which you need to scale to the size of your model. 

Paul,

It was just one of the scale guys at my club thought the prop looked and sounded like it was going round but not doing much.... also 5 min flight I am using 40% batt.  

I might see if I can get it on my watt meter and maybe a luggage scale to see what's happening.

From a design perspective i am new to cad and design but it really interests me so trying to thing of ideas of things to model.