flight modes

Yorkman

I've set up flight modes on a powered sailplane on my DX7, can't remember how, but got launch, cruise, thermal and landing moving the ailerons and flaps.

Now I want to set up a 'launch' mode for a powered model, which drops the flaps to take-off position and dials in some up-elevator so (hopefully) it climbs away from the hand launch and I flick a switch and the elevator returns to neutral and the flaps retract. But how?

I don't want the up elevator on normal flap extension...

I can't find anywhere to adjust anything. Go to 'flight mode setup' in the menu, and it allows me to assign a switch, which I am then told, loudly, is 'flight mode 1' or 'flight mode 2'. And...? How do I now make that switch adjust anything?

I don't have a Dx7, but looking at the manual I see in the trim setup menu you can make the trim common or flight mode specific. I suspect that in other set up menus you can set parameters for each flight modes. Once you have activated flight modes then you will be able adjust some other parameters per flight mode, but I must admit that from the manual it looks like flight modes are pretty limited in power models and mainly used in sailplane programming.

Just use the glider set up

My easy set up on the Spektrum:

Program DX G2

1. Select plane type: Chose always glider type if you want to use spoilerons or flaps. Use motorplane if it is a flying Wing.
  2. Select wing type. Activate motor if it is a motor plane or motor glider.
  3. Trim set up: set to FL mode
  4. F mode, Activate switch 1, 2, 3, for flaps on motorplane, maybe more if you want to use more than 3 flight modes on a glider.
  5. Put in the servo plugs in the receiver. Use the monitor to see this.. It can change for each wing type
  6. Servo set up: Set the right directions and sub trim the servos.
  7. Set the travel for the servos
  8. Ailerons differential, not too much because this can be a problem when using spoilerons and flaps
  9. Dual rate and expo, 50% on ailerons and 40% on elevator and rudder is a good start.
  10. Camber preset: Motor plane/Glider, here you adjust: Motor plane: Flaps up/ take off flaps/ landing flaps and elevator compensation and how fast the flaps move. Glider:Flight modes as Thermal /cruise/speed and how fast it changes

1. Program DX G2

2. Camber system: Glider, here you adjust landing flaps/ crow brake and which switch or stick you will use for it. (In crow brake not more up aileron when using the crowbrake that when using the ailerons the aileron that going down must go down to neutral, in this way you still have good aileron control. And if you use flight modes you have to set it in all FLT modes you use.
  3. MIX: Flaps- elevator, here you adjust the elevator compensation when using the landing flaps (Camber system) and adjust the offset so that the elevator start moving when the flaps is moving when using the throttle stick to control it. 2 mm down elevator when using the flaps is a good starting point.
  4. Mix: Ailerons- flaps, here you adjust all span ailerons
  5. Elevator- flaps, here you adjust the Aileron –rudder, here you adjust snap flaps
  6. Aileron –rudder, here you adjust as described
  7. Set up the spoken Flight modes and switch change sounds
  8. Set up telemetry in auto config.
  9. Motor planes with flaps: you can go to elevator dual rate and set the switch to flt mode/ flaps switch and then set it so you still have full up elevator movement, when using the flaps and have set down elevator compensation, in this way you still have enough up elevator to pull up in the landing when using the flaps
  10. Set the timer

Program DX G2

1. If you program a flying wing with 4 flap wing, then set it up as a glider with 2 ailerons and V tail. Outer flaps are ailerons and inner flaps is the elevator/rudder
    Then a mix: Aileron- rudder, to get the elevators to go as ailerons.
    Then a mix: elevator- L aileron, to get the ailerons to go as elevator. And then set the Dual rate for the rudder to % to disable the rudder stick.
    At camber system you adjust the aileron up in Crowbrake and after this preset Mix: Flap – elevator, here you set the elevator down in the Crow, after this you go to camber system and just the offset so that both aileron and elevator start to move at the same time when using the throttle stick.
    If it is a 4 flap flying wing you can set the crow brake on a switch and set it up in flight mode in the Camber preset.