Lidl Auto Gyro Glider

Stephen Jones

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply this is the light weight Autogyro i was referring to a while back.

Auw 650g

Yes i have linked the servos to the C30 head and then couple the wings to those rods.

So as the blades move so do the wings. The wings are short and stubby but should still offer some lift while giving me a little more to help with orientation.

The wings are removable much like the stabilizers on a Childs bike.

I will also be able to adjust the amount that the wings move in relation to the head.

Steve

So it was too windy today and the wind kept changing direction but i wanted to see if it would fly and if i could get it trimmed .

The main problem for me is my instinct to favor ailerons when i should use rudder i think it looks promising but it will have to wait for a better day the end flight was my fault i think as i try to turn it into wind i use ailerons as you can see by the wings.

Steve blush

Yes, i am well chuffed thank`s.

That is my 1st successful flight with a Autogyro and i made it myself smiley.

I was expecting to break it a few times like i did with my Auto G and Atom .

My Auto G i had a flight But broke it. blush

My atom broke it 1st go blush

So that is why i decided to have another go but this time using a cheap Lidl Glider that would bounce rather than break .

So maybe the experience of the other two Autogyros helped me to fly this one successfully .

ether way i am happy to of been able to fly a Autogyro smiley

Steve

Hi,

As the weekend looks bad and i got home early i decided to take advantage of the summer evening weather and fly my Gyro copter and my Keil Kraft Gyron.

First i tried my auto gyro with a larger battery a 1.6ah 3s as that fitted well i previously flown with a 1.4 ah 3s.

Shortly after take of i discovered i needed all my power to the motor just to keep it airborne .

i would not of thought that weight difference would of been so critical.

Second flight i tried the 1.4ah 3s battery but their was very little wind, i managed to get it airborne but on the down ward leg i did not have enough power or control over height so it ploughed in.

Thump that`s the motor ripped off the tail snapped and one of the blades broken.

So i have some work to do in order to get it airborne again good job it`s raining this weekend.

Oh Hum sad

Steve

Steve,

I missed the flight videos, that is fantastic well done smile, deserves a few more replies IMHO

Just an observation but it seems to be flying quite fast? (which some folk are comfortable with), a touch more rearward tilt would sort that out if you felt the need to do it, would also help spin up to.

The gyro bug will bite thumbs up

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 26/06/2020 09:20:06:

Steve,

I missed the flight videos, that is fantastic well done smile, deserves a few more replies IMHO

Just an observation but it seems to be flying quite fast? (which some folk are comfortable with), a touch more rearward tilt would sort that out if you felt the need to do it, would also help spin up to.

The gyro bug will bite thumbs up

Rich

Thank`s for the reply Richard,

I thought it was flying slow but then again i do fly fast models.

Thank`s for the advice on the Head tilt i will bear that in mind. thumbs up

As for missing my flying videos you could always subscribe to my YouTube channel, Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

I am the 1st person to of flown a model Rc Autogyro at are club successfully which i guess is an achievement in it`s self .

I will fix this one and get it flying again. The hand launch was a lot easier than i thought it would be, but i guess could go very wrong if not trimmed 1st.

Thank`s once again Richard your input is much appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/06/2020 09:25:39:

What blades did you use Stephen, commercial or home made?

Hi Bob,

I made a jig to make my blades.

bladejig.jpg

I have four more blades near completion . Well you never know if you might need a replacement.

Opps i do.

abaldes2.jpg

by the way i was speaking to a member at our club and he told me that heli blades might do 450 woodies .

Does anyone know if the have been used before.

Cheers Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a very busy day down at the field today.

busy day.jpg

In the rush to get out forgot my transmitter so could not fly my Sipa S-200 sad.

But did get to fly my autogyro four times today i think i have cracked it now.

The Lidl autogyro flies better now i have put a more powerful motor on and reduced the amount of down thrust.

Yesterday how ever was a different story as it was winder than today.

But at least this autogyro bounces when i make a mistake and smack it into the ground.

One more video of todays flight to show how much better it now flies , to follow.

Steve, ( happy i have managed to crack the Gyro nut ) wink

Well it was very busy last weekend and my Lidl Converted glider had a good few flights i was going to put them all together as one video but it would be too long so here is the second flight of the day.

You may notice a bit missing out of one of the blades to say this model has been through the wars is a under statement i am glad i made it from a lidl glider it would not of stood a chance the amount of slams into the ground it has had.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 18/07/2020 01:12:23

Thank you, Earlybird,

I have put a bigger motor on it which you may be able to spot in the thumb nail above.

Which has helped as i can manage the throttle better and after a 3 minutes flight i found i still had 50% of my battery left ( 3s 1.3mAh ) so decided to fly it a bit longer so a 4 to 41/2 minutes flight leaves me with 30% battery left which is a good flight time for someone like me who is still learning to fly these Autogyros.

Thank`s for your comment.

Steve smiley

Edited By Stephen Jones on 18/07/2020 11:12:55

Your welcome.

For me it was a pleasure to see one fly.

From what I have seen everyone is learning and the short flight times have nothing to do with the battery size more to do with the ability of the pilot.wink

They can't be easy to fly because I have seen good FW pilots struggle with them and put them through the wars as you put it.

Needless to say I will not be trying one any time soon. They are way beyond my skill level!

Steve

Very good effort there. 3 or 4 years ago I built a couple but was lucky enough to get a little flight time on a buddy box with Joe Anderson at the R/C Hotel. This was invaluable because it taught me that you have to use all four stick inputs at the same time, not easy for a fw pilot to cope with even though aerobatics has always been my thing.

Orientation is the problem and very easy to get confused, although I have managed a few successful flights. They now reside in the loft but must dig them out again.