Warbirds replicas Tempest

Graham Davies 3

@SR - you wont regret one of Richard's kits and the after sales service is second to none, a bit like Jon at Laser, ask a question and get an answer. now you don't get that from Hangar 9, Seagull etc and they are British!!!!

Edited By Ron Gray on 19/06/2020 19:40:32

Richard makes a very good point about orientation issues with camoflaged models. However, with the Tempest you can pull the same trick that I did with a 56" Typhoon - model an aircraft used in the D-Day operation, those stripes are a massive help, as shown in the picture earlier in the thread.

Gentle progress today.

(forgive the terrible pictures, my phone camera is broken!)

Fitted up the fuselage formers and fitted laminated leading and trailing edge to the foam wing panels.

Nice simple stuff. Tomorrow I will work on the wings:

• Fit the wing tips
  • shape the leading edge
  • Cut the wing panels and rejoin all the panels to get the polyhedral
  • Set the undercarriage blocks
  • Prefit the servo and retract extensions (I'm preparing for the eventual fitment of retracts, once I've got used to the fixed undercarriage)

Graham

tempest21062020_2.jpgtempest21062020_1.jpg

Morning all,

A bit of gentle progress:

Leading edges and trailing edges laminated. tips fitted and carved to shape. Wings cut and joined for polyhedral and undercarriage blocks added. Fuselage built, with battery box/ motor mount.

Next job is to make the aileron servo boxes, separate the ailerons and join the wings...

Graham

tempest 220620_2.jpg

tempest 220620_3.jpg

tempest 220620_1.jpg

Bob, Richard did tell me, but made me sign a very punitive NDA... I think I have to leave a deposit of bodily organs...

Yes, fixed undercarriage as a 'training step' to be replaced with retracts once I can get it out and back without incident. I have pre fitted cable runs for retracts and the block will come out to be replaced with the retract plates and wheel recesses if we ever get that far.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to get a semi-scale 'warbird trainer' before venturing onto more full-fat offerings.

Graham

Way back in the early 1980s I had a veneered foam Typhoon from some long forgotten range of kits, it was a very similar construction to Richards WR designs though probably more cartoon scale. That was iirc 54" and powered with a Meteor 40 it flew superbly for several years, just like a low wing trainer but with attitude. They all had fixed U/C back then, you soon become blind to the dangling wheels!

Got a lot done today. The wings are pretty much done. I have used lightweight glass cloth to reinforce the centre join and will put a second layer on tomorrow. The ailerons are separated and lined with 1/8" balsa. I have completed the servo boxes, so once the second cloth layer is done, they are ready for covering.

fuselage is nearly done. I have carved and shaped the foam decks. The rear deck will not be sheeted, but covered directly with brown paper. I have sheeted the front deck. This is not yet fitted as I have still to cut it in half for a battery hatch. I'm not going to do this until I have glassed the inside of the cowl (awaiting some resin). This will allow me to adjust the height to get an exact fit to the cowling. Richard's idea to make a 'sliding battery box/ motor mount' is brilliant. I will be able to get an exact fit of the spinner backplate to the cowl once this is fitted.

Tail is fitted and drying. I have pre-carved some filler pieces and once these are fitted and the ply deck under the nose, it will also be ready to cover.

And then I need to start making it look like a Tempest!

Great, easy build so far.

Graham

tempest270620-2.jpg

tempest270620-1.jpg

Thanks Ron.

Yes, it's moving at pace. I have since glassed the inside of the cowl. Well, some went on the cowl, most of it went on me, the cat, and random assorted things I touched and couldn't then let go of. I'd forgotten what a horrible job it is! I can now line up the front of the fuselage and will be then ready to cover.

The wings are finished. I have to say, they are some of the best quality foam wings I've seen. But taking a saw to them to cut the panels for the polyhedral is really scary!

Graham

Evening all.

A bit more progress. The airframe is pretty much done. Sheeted under the chin and lined up the cowl today. Just completed the wing fillets which will just need a few strokes of the sanding block tomorrow. Motor is mounted to the motor/ battery box and just needs lining up to the cowl and gluing into place.

I covered the wing today using Richard's magic brown paper idea. So, how have I got this far without discovering this before? I pasted the paper with slightly thinned PVA, left it for a few moments and then ironed it on. Piece of cake! It irons on really well and goes around curved better than shrink film. Only challenge is a couple of bubbles where I need to inject a little PVA and tack it down. It looks great though and masks a lot of finish challenges that I would otherwise spend ages filling.

Fuselage and control surfaces to cover tomorrow, then a coat of non-shrinking dope, and then onto trying to avoid messing up the paint. Talking of which, I bought some great paint from my employer; Rapid electronics. I got Ambersil grey acrylic primer, which is a pretty good match for the underside, and Plasticote primer which is a darker grey for the top. £6 a can and next day delivery!

Graham

tempest 040720-1.jpg

tempest 040720-3.jpg

Looks great Graham . I think most people who have tried the humble brown paper , dont go back to their old ways . Its cheap , simple , adds strength and doesnt smell . If you do get a few bubbles , you have either used pound shop glue (ask Glynn) , watered down good glue too much , or missed a bit when pasting . However all is not lost . Just cut an "H" or rugby goal with the cross bar through the blister . Gently open up the two doors and then rub a little pva in . Finally iron back the doors .

As you say , Graham , it does cover most sins .

Absolutely right on the Poundland PVA, I had a couple of bubbles come up on the La7's wingtip where the paper lifted from the block area after the first coat of primer.

A second point to watch out for is Tesco's brown wrapping paper has a fine striped appearance to it, it turns out to be visible in the final painted finish. Only if you look closely but once you know it's there...

I've actually gone upmarket and used Waitrose brown paper! Actually the only place locally I could get it! The PVA is a builder's grade and generally good, but clearly not as good as it could be! In fairness, there was one bubble on the underside and 2 on the top, so not widespread. I'll give it some attention later.

I'm really impressed though. A thought struck me whilst I was happily applying paper; I have an Acrowot in the loft awaiting refurbishment. If I sheet the turtle deck, I can cover it in brown paper and give it a warbird paint job. That would pick it out from the crowd!

Try greaseproof paper, I recall that PaulJ used this on his WR builds, it can be bought in big rolls (I bought one off Amazon, £10 for 50m) plus has the advantage that it doesn't need sealing prior to paint.

Also don't rule out laminating film, even cheaper and really strong.

Edited By Ron Gray on 05/07/2020 11:12:23