Warbirds replicas Tempest

Graham Davies 3

All good points chaps . The main thing is have a go and morph toward what looks good for you . At the end of the day its important to please yourself and not feel judged , because that will just hold you back .

I like Jons picture of the Ruskies , Have a look at some of the really rough Jap stuff . Some of them must have been sprayed in the rain from 50 yds away and by the time the sun came out it simply flaked off . Most of them looked like large shiney fish with fin rot !

Have a go, thats the motto .

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/07/2020 07:29:25:

There may be some wear or paint off round screws on panels that are opened frequently.

THe biggest NO NO is to rub the paint off all the rivet heads so they are silver. In fact rivets tend to get a film of darker dirt round them. Many years ago there was a giant scale model which had every rivet painted silver,then camouflage and then the rivets rubbed back to silver OH DEAR!! The worst thing was that the full size aircraft skins were flush rivetted!!

My experience is from observation while working on RAF aircraft including Lancasters, Shackletons and a host of others.

That reminds me of the Kyosho Ta152 that I bought second hand. The previous owner had painstakingly gone over the whole airframe dabbing silver paint on every single 'rivet' in the pre-printed covering. How I laughed washing it off with thinners face 16*

*thinking back the laughter may have been down to the effects of using the thinners in an enclosed area!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/07/2020 10:40:59

But note that it is up on what will be the high point of the wing when the aircfraft is standing on the ground. Not anywhere near the trailing edge.

The leading edge would be caused by flying through heavy rain or even hail although,interestingly it does not seem to have efffected the cowl

Good point Peter . I expect you would have worked in the Northern hemisphere?

The reason I ask , is that when you see film of 109s and P40s taking off in the desert , being literally sand blasted , you would imagine the forward facing surfaces to be entirely void of paint and yet they still seem to be relatively well covered .

Any thoughts ?

There is a good facebook page called ScaleAircraftWeathering (not sure if I can post a link to it).

Its run by a Navy pilot who likes to build very weathered scale models. here is post pictures of extream weathered aircraft in service. It is good fun to look at just how tatty they can get.

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/07/2020 08:09:12:

But note that it is up on what will be the high point of the wing when the aircfraft is standing on the ground. Not anywhere near the trailing edge.

The leading edge would be caused by flying through heavy rain or even hail although,interestingly it does not seem to have efffected the cowl

Could be that the prop wash took it away from the cowl , I was more concerned wit the battering the inner wing panel had I have seen hail as big as choc bars filled with sand from the sahara which made a mess of the cars it the area .the outer wings on the Corsair have panels of doped fabric which would have been shattered by such hail .

Graham,

One thing I use on the small scale plastic is oil paint. (as in artists oil paints). Depending on what your base coat is (Acrylic is best) this can work well..

You apply a bit of oil paint then use white spirit to reproduce streaks, smoke, dirt and rain marks etc.

its also good for fading paint.

Not sure if this is used on RC but I did use it on my Foam Spitfire and it worked quite well. As this is electric you wont have to worry about the fuel removing the paint thumbs up

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 08/07/2020 08:03:46: ...

Less is usually more...but not if your aircraft is Russian!

Or Japanese.

----

Just build it to fly, and get a few flights on it. If it is still in one piece after that, start thinking about weathering and other finer details.

Did a quick weigh today. With all parts except:

• Snakes and control horns
  • decals and final finishing
  • pilot and cockpit cover
  • Undercarriage
  • Spinner (I forgot it...)
  • Connectors for the ESC

She comes in at 4lb 5Oz.

It's going to be light!

For all the foam wing cynics; i don't think it would have been any lighter with a built up wing...

Graham

That looks brilliant Graham. Doubly so given the quick build time! yes

"For all the foam wing cynics; i don't think it would have been any lighter with a built up wing..."

I think foam wings have a lot going for them. They are accurate and very quick to put together. Modern glues seem to have all but killed off the weight argument. Same for foam top decks. I've never cut them myself but I have used them from kits and they are certainly easy, and quick. Quite good at absorbing noise, too, for IC users.

Edited By Nigel R on 13/07/2020 15:07:39

Thanks Nigel,

As a NOB, or ARSE (See Richard's other post!), I'm keen to do anything to encourage new builders and preserve our odd obsession of creating plumes of balsa dust. For those that haven't yet discovered the joys of emerging from the man-cave bedecked in 'man glitter', and have yet to experience the gentle amusement of being able to pick out the exact hole pattern in your crocs from the dust embedded in your socks, a built up wing can seem daunting. The foam wing may help transition a few more builders into the dark arts!

Graham