Rans S-9 Chaos. Peter Miller's new design blog

Posted by Peter Miller on 20/07/2020 13:49:07:

I just checked what Watts my set up was producing.

376 watts which is just about perfect for the weight of model.

The moral of this is "Never trust someone elses figures"

That's a lot more likely than 25 watts

If I can shake myself out of my Covid depression this is something that appeals to me - both scale and not potentially a long build. Saves my converting from glow to electric, too - what's not to like?

Geoff

Tim:

In fact the pilot was one that was being made and sold on Ebay.They were superbly detailed and all different.

They were not cheap,£15 to £18 each and boght several. The painting was superb ad the details such as separate mikes and head phones.Every tooth on the zips.

I was very sorry when the chap stopped making them.

Geoff.

You will love this one. nothing hard to build and one or two new techniques

• 2 months later...

Just been looking at the plan. I wonder if Sarik (or SLEC) are going to do a CNC set of parts and an additional wood pack. I think I'd 'invest' if they did That'll be two Peter Miller designs to build over winter.

Both scale(ish). At least scale enough for me.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 22/09/2020 19:32:26

Hi folks

Thanks for the interest.

I can say that it as as scale as the factory 3 views allow and Rans have ut it up on their website and the current owner of my version said that it is very accurate.

I can also say that it flies beautifully although I would suggest the first flight should be made on a calmer day. It is light and has a lot of wing area.

I've been doing some minor research looking for different scale schemes for the Chaos and ended up at this Wikipedia site. Apparently Rans don't only manufacture aeroplane kits but sarted out with land yachts and, later a whole variety of both upright and recumbent pedal cycles. Seems to be a very innovative and vibrant company and I'll definitely be building one during the forthcoming winter lockdown (assuming it happens). Anyway there'll be a weather lockdown for me

A very good find, Peter.

Geoff

i Peter,

I've just read through your Build Thread of your Rans Chaos. Please can you tell me what motor/ESC/Battery/Prop combination you used. Also which Servos you chose.

I plan to build this (It will be my very first buld) from scratch it maybe use the Sarik kit & complete over the winter.

Can you also recommend initial surface travel settings for maiden flight & suggested flight time?

Cheers in advance.

AndyB