Rans S-9 Chaos. Peter Miller's new design blog

Hi, I have started one wing but may have made a blunder. The bottom spar is laid flat on the board and its says from R6 taper the spar from a 1/4 to 1/8 at R11. Is this spar tapered on the underneath before laying down on the plan or tapered after the wing is built and removed from the plan. Hope this makes sense. Thank you Glen

The spars are tapered on the inside because the ribs get narrow so you will notice that the spar slots get shallower towards the tip. If they didn't the ribs would be extremely narrow between the spar slots.

So you should taper the spar before laying it down but you can taper it once pinned down but obviously before gluing on the ribs

My part kit arrived from Sarik yesterday afternoon so it's ready to start once my Li'l Cub is finished - probably in the New Year.

What it inspired was to decide how it was going to be powered. I have a Multiplex Blizzard I haven't flown for several years (it's still on 35Mhz). I enjoyed it for a while but now I find it a bit quick and I daren't take my eyes off it so I've been thinking it has to go. It does, however, have an excellent motor fitted; it's a Scorpion 3020-14 (944 rpm/v)which should suit the Chaos perfectly, so I've removed it in preparation for the build.

Now it's just a matter of finding a Chaos with colours suiting whatever film I have in stock and preferably without spats

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Robert Pennink on 16/10/2020 18:09:26:

Peter is the wire required for the undercarriage and the elevator joiner included in the Sarik Hobbies short kit?

I haven't examined my short kit very closely but I'm almost certain it's only the CNC cut parts and the balsa etc required to complete the airframe. So no hardware including piano wire. However that's easy to buy.

@bees: that's why I opted for the additional balsa pack - ie the short kit, despite the expense I'm being very careful with what wood I have in stock and I go to my box full of pieces of wood too small to be of further use quite frequently.

Geoff

As Geoff has said, SLEC stock it.

I would suggest ordering by phone because you can then ask them to cut the sheet (24" long will do for Chaos) in half lengthwise which will make posting the thin ply much safer and easier .

Trust me that will be appreciated.

I would imagine that Balsa Cabin will also stock t and the same suggestion applies.

Hi, Got to the point of attaching the wings to the fuz with a captive nut and bolt from underneath. The article says to provide a hole under the fus which lets air out but allows you with a long allen key to attach the wing but my thinking is how do you stop the bolt from dropping into the fus. Thank you for any imfo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would show you my progress so far and take the opportunity to thank Peter for creating a plan for such an interesting subject. I looked at an S-10 based at a local airfield a couple of years ago. Really liked the windows under the wings. Must have been quite a view from the cockpit.
No problems during the build. I really like the undercarriage design. Luckily I managed to get the angles right without too much muttering. I am now waiting for a spinner so I can finish the nose block profile. I am also waiting for some 500 micron plastic for the canopy. My canopy frames turned out to be quite flimsy so I'm going to try to make them again. Given that there is not much to see in the cockpit, I wonder if it would be worthwhile using opaque black plastic for the canopy and side windows. The canopy frames could then be beefed up without showing. There is time to think about that because there is still lots of tidying up, filling and finishing to do before covering.

Keep well everyone.

20201203_104801.jpg20201203_104823.jpg20201203_105618.jpg

That looks really good.

I just used black film for the windows under the wing.

I feel that that huge canopy would not look so good in solid black. But that is up to you.

I used very small screws to hold it down and, while it is a bit fiddly it isn't too hard, the hardest section is the frnt windscreen panel and even that isn't too bad.

Hi Barry, Nice build and coming along nicely. I have more or less finished the covering on mine and more or less ready to tackle the canopy , think i will go along with the plastic route as i have made the three frames ready to install.