Rans S-9 Chaos. Peter Miller's new design blog

1/32 ply is pretty hard to come by in my neck of the woods, so I'll have to get creative!

I hope my model will look at bit like this New Zealand example. No wheel spats, 3 blade prop or wing turbulators though, and I'm going to have to track down that Rans S9 font for the tail. I like the exhaust setup. Rotax 582.

rans s9.jpg

• Like 1

Wished i had seen that picture before hand, ha well never mind. I envy people that can finish a model like that, i love building from scratch and can make a nice job of it but i hate finishing off regarding covering the model and insignia. I make a reasonable job of covering but if it is not perfect it really bugs me. Must try and listen to the wife more because she says what difference does it make as long has it flies, they don't understand ha,ha. Best regards Glen

That looks great, Peter. You obviously had much better weather than we did yesterday.

What's the new camera? I bought a s/h so-called Bridge camera (like an SLR but with a fixed zoom lens) earlier this year. It's a Fuiji S200 EXR with a 30 to 450mm zoom (35mm equivalent) but I haven't had a chance to try it for flying pictures. It's very handy for workshop pics with its built-in flash.

Geoff

I think that the object on te cowl is a bitbof covering that has lifted.

WE had a great afternoon but 1 1/2 hours was more than enough. 5 mph wing but about 4 degrees.

The camera. I am on Amazon VIne. If you buy a lot of stuff and always write a review you may be invited to join Amazon Vine where they offer you goodies for free to review and then keep. These range from a box of crisps and a baar of Chocolate up to very expensive cameras etc

My new camera is a Sony Alpha 7C. I will leave you to look it up.

Hi, Made a bit of a boobie, Not concentrating i accidently glued the ailerons on the wrong way meaning that the vee is facing upwards in stead of down. Only done one but was wondering if it would make a difference regarding the flight envelope , Thank you

The drawing just shows a conventional aileron 'V' shape at the hinge. I assume you were intending a top hinged installation and now you have a bottom hinged one. Provided you have enough chamfer to allow sufficient aileron up movement (it's common to have more up than down) then I can''t see it making any difference although it might look a bit odd with such a big gap between wing and aileron.

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum David. From the photos on this thread, it appears that there's a ply plate between the two ribs either side of the central rib and the hole is drilled on the centre line through this and the tail end of the central rib. By the time you drill this part that rib looks like it's pretty much redundant at this point anyway.

I expect Peter will be along to confirm this but I'm posting more to bump the thread as your question/first post had to wait a little time for moderation...

You build as shown. Then you fillin between the ribs with thick sheet balsa as shown. this is shaped to match the ribs before adding the centre section sheet

You then put a plywood plate on top of that area as shown. This takes the nut ans spreads the load when tightening down the wing hold down bolt.

You then drill through on the centre line through the centre ribs.

There are two pictures on page one of this blog that show the area

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/01/2021 08:44:50

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is complete and it flies beautifully.

Peter was right about the black canopy, it just doesn't work! The only other mod was a steerable tailwheel which helps on our, often crosswind, runway.

Thank you Peter for an interesting and successful design. I am already dreaming of scaling it up a little, making the struts functional and cutting away the wing centre section (that is going to be a challenge) to make the cockpit more scale. Transparent glazing of course!!!

rans s9.jpg

That is very nice...apart from that canopy!!

A friend in our club has built his enlarged to 60 span. It flies like a dream.

You might be interested in my latest design. The TEam Minimax. That uses plug in wings and an open cockpit. Have a look at the build blog thread.

If you like the idea of the wing mounting PM me and I will send you the PDF files ofmy plans soyou can use my system on your larger Chaos.

The Minimax is very (non scale) aerobatic

• 1 month later...

Peter.  I'm completely new to building - this is my first plane build. I have a question: on your picture on this forum (the one showing the dihedral braces and R1 rib, dated 20th June), it indicates that theres 2 x R1 ribs joined together. However on the plan there is only one R1 rib (and in the short kit). Can you please advise?

50 minutes ago, Ian Lennox said:

Peter.  I'm completely new to building - this is my first plane build. I have a question: on your picture on this forum (the one showing the dihedral braces and R1 rib, dated 20th June), it indicates that theres 2 x R1 ribs joined together. However on the plan there is only one R1 rib (and in the short kit). Can you please advise?

Hi Ian,

The way to get a forum members attention is to use the @Peter Miller.

• 9 months later...

I climbed up into the loft/hangar over my workshop yesterday and found a cardboard box sent from Sarik.  Honestly (m'lud) I had no idea it was there or what it contained.  On investigation, I  found it was the drawings, CNC cut parts and balsa pack for the Peter Miller designed Rans S9 Chaos I was intending to build last winter.  Over the last year I've had difficulty raising any interest in aeromodelling - flying or building.  In fact, I spotted a photo of me in the background of Alex Whittaker's piece about the Ashbourne Scale Day ain  October and that was the last time I went up there!

OK, so I've assembled the fuselage side pieces and attached the ply doublers and I'm part way through building the starboard wing.  It's a start!  I may start a build thread but don't hold your collective breaths!  I always start with building wings because they are generally quite repetitive and a bit tedious so best tackled when enthusiasm is high  - not enjoying wing building is quite a confession for someone who like biplanes.

Anyway, you never know, I may have another PM model to test fly once the weather warms up.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Geoff S said:

It's a start!  I may start a build thread but don't hold your collective breaths! 

Nice one Geoff, a build thread would be interesting even more so with loads of photos and detail.

I am wondering myself how to regain my enthusiasm for flying. Would more people building and then flying their creation help? I guess so but only if we know about it by posting on the forum.

I have missed the mass build over the last couple of years and as the balsa crisis is over, I wonder if we can do something for 2022. 

On both drawings (the one in the magazine and the one in 2 more substantial sheets provided by Sarik) only a single 1/8" (or 3 mm?) R1 is shown at the centre and only one is provided.  There is a slot to take the 1/4" wing retention dowel but with only 1 rib plus the 2 off 1/8" R1a at the side opening it out for the dowel leaves very little 'meat' in the rib. It's also tricky building a wing and leaving off R1 because of the shear webs and spar location.  I toyed with the idea of making a single 1/4" R! but in the end I've made a second R1 from 1/8" scrap balsa (I have a boxful of balsa 'remains' I can't bear to scrap!).

I just wondered if the single R1 is a drawing error because there's no mention of it in either of Peter's build articles here or in the magazine.  It's not a big deal and this isn't an actual kit so a builder is expected to be a bit inventive, I guess ?  

I've also scarfed the top 1/4" spar as there's no dihedral on the top so it appears as a straight spar over the full wingspan.  The 1/4" square spruce dihedral brace covers the join so my angled cut probably isn't necessary but it'll be stronger than an end grain butt joint at zero extra weight.

It's a trickier wing than most I've built as it's tapered at both leading and trailing edges as well becoming thinner at the tips.  The Liddle Stik I built from a free plan to 'celebrate' Covid 19 in 2020 has identical ribs and, having no dihedral at all was built in one piece.  Probably the quickest and easiest built-up wing I've ever made.  It flies well, though.

Yes, There are two rid at the centre.

I build one wing including the centre section rib and leading edge sheet. Then I prop I prop it up to twice the dihedral angle so that the other wing is flat on the board and join them with the other root rib and dihedral braces before adding the LE sheet to the second wing.

Have a look at some of my other build blogs and that should include Chaos to see my standard method.  I photograph and describe it almost every time.