Chris Foss Xtra Wot

Today's goal was to get the motor installation sorted out. so after looking through my scraps and offcuts box I came up with some bits and made up the engine mounting box.

fullsizeoutput_1564.jpeg

I then had to make up a radial, bolted prop adapter for the motor as I wanted to rear mount it to the engine box. I didn't take any photos of that but I basically re-fabricated an eFlite four hole one. This meant having to bore it out to fit the Hyperion stub driver and re drill it for a 3 hole fixing rather than a 4 hole one. I also had to machine a spacer to give a greater stand off from the motor. TBH it was one of those jobs that I should really have machined up a complete new adapter as it probably would have taken less time!

Once the engine box was dry I fitted it to the fuse using the supplied side thrust wedge, again a bit of fiddling to get it right but got there in the end.

fullsizeoutput_1565.jpeg

And a photo with the motor fitted yes, the threads at the end of the shaft are knackered, the joys of buying second hand, but they will be cut off.

fullsizeoutput_1566.jpeg

I didn't like the fact that there is a gap between the top of the wing and the wing seat plate in the fuse so I 3D printed a spacer to go in there.

fullsizeoutput_1567.jpeg

And just checked to make sure it all fitted.

fullsizeoutput_1568.jpeg

The instructions say to cut a slot out of the wing and then to glue the wing fixing bolt plate into it. I would rather spread the load with a play plate sitting across the underside of the wing and I'll be making that later.

So I did meet my target for today.

Hi Ron,

You're doing well with the build with excellent photos, I bought mine a week ago and its a two seat version. I'm bit of a slow builder with added time constraints through work. Anyway I'm hoping to lighten the airframe where I can such as making lightening holes in the ply fuselage sides and anywhere, where I could make holes without compromising strength, also planning to install a carbon tube in the wing and in the tail to give me a peace of mind. And to power it, I'm thinking petrol perhaps OS GT22.

Hi Mac, personally I wouldn’t lighten the ply doublers, they’ve already got lightening holes in them so I would be concerned about integrity. If you want to lighten the fuse, you could put some holes into the sides, top and bottom behind the cockpit, plus the tailplane is a big lump of balsa so some holes in that would help. The main plane does not need a tube / spar, the veneered foam construction with the GF root bandage (applied as per the instructions) is plenty strong enough and is a tried and tested method. Obviously if you want to have a wing joint to make transport easier then fine. The carbon tube in the tail is a no brainier!

I’m sure you will enjoy the kit / build, it can be done quite quickly but is an ideal ‘couple of hours a day’ build, just make sure you ensure everything is square when you assemble the fuse sides to the first couple of formers as this determines the accuracy of the rest of the build!

Post your progress on here, I, for one, would like to see others.

Having worked on 2 models recently with foam veneered wings I've got to say that the Warbird Replicas' ones are superior to the Chris Foss ones, the grain on the Xtra Wot is really coarse and quite prominent.

fullsizeoutput_1571.jpeg

Notwithstanding this I started the covering with the underside of the wings, well actually I decided to do all of the black bits first, leaving the control surfaces until later as they will need the control horn hard points fitting first. My normal practice is to cover wings in pieces to make it easier to handle but this time I decided to do it in one.

fullsizeoutput_1569.jpeg

The the rear underside of the fuse

fullsizeoutput_156a.jpeg

Underside of the tailplane

fullsizeoutput_156b.jpeg

And some bits on the sides of the fuse.

fullsizeoutput_156c.jpeg

Top surfaces and the rest of the fuse will be orange

Wing

fullsizeoutput_1570.jpeg

Fuse

fullsizeoutput_156d.jpeg

And then put together to see what the base colours look like.

fullsizeoutput_156e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_156f.jpeg

The orange top surface on the wing will be broken up with some black 'flashes' but they will come later.

Unfortunately I didn't meet my target of finishing the main covering today as I've still got one half of the fuse to put the orange film on plus the fin and rudder. I always underestimate how long it takes me to apply covering film. I would say that another couple of hours should see it done so I'll try and get some time in tomorrow.

Unfortunately I didn't hit my target of having the XW finished today, instead it looks like it's gong to be Thursday or Friday.

But lots of little jobs done, hard points fitted to rudder, elevator and ailerons. All hinge points slotted and hinges fitted. Elevator joining wire fitted. Rudder, elevators and ailerons covered. Fin and tailplane glued in place, for the latter I had to slightly trim one fuse tailplane slot as it was about 1/2 degrees out from level. I also spent a bit of time drawing and cutting out some letters for etc fuse and wings, for this I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut the letter from covering film.

Not many photos as the work was pretty basic and covering is covering! For eta hinges I'm using 'furry' plastic type glued into the control surfaces using medium, slow set cyano, then Gorilla Glue (white) to attach them to the wings etc,

Hinge slots cut using the slotting tool

fullsizeoutput_1572.jpeg

Most of the parts can be seen in this shot plus the lettering has been added to the fuse.

fullsizeoutput_1573.jpeg

Thanks Tim, it went together quite easily, really good instructions and sketches. Taking longer to finish bits off but me doing the fancy lettering hasn't helped! Hopefully it will look alright when it's all put together (got to paint the front deck and cowl first!)

Edited By Ron Gray on 30/06/2020 22:31:59

Thanks Gary, I tried the Cameo as an experiment and am rather pleased with the results but wait until you see the wings!

I’m using the kit supplied hardware, apart from the hinge material which is smooth nylon but I prefer to use the ‘flocked’ nylon type for flat hinges.

Excellent job Ron. This may be of interest regarding your power train. I am converting a Wot4 xl to electric using a Hyperion 4045/280 which is the forerunner of the 4045/12. On 8s and an 18*10 apc e I am getting 55 amps and about 1550 watts. This is with the cells on storage voltage. They are now on charge to see the results later today. The motor has a continuous current rating of 50amps and max 63 amps. Unless there is a significant difference between your motor and mine I think that you will need a smaller prop than the 19*10 than you intended to use. I'm sure that you will use a wattmeter to check and I look forward to seeing the results.

All the best...Chris.

Many thanks Chris and you are correct, I will be using a wattmeter to check it out before flying, I was basing mine on what another guy is using with the same motor plus what eCalc says (I know that is not always right!). Will be good to see your findings with fully charged cells.

Ok Ron here we go. Fully charged my lipos and then left them for 3 hours to settle. Ran up motor at half throttle for 1 minute then went to full power and hastily shut down again as was seeing 75amps and over 2000 watts. Changed prop to 16*10 and saw 55 amps and 1650 watts which is fine for me. It could be that the type of wind/construction changed when the motor was updated. Will be interested in your results. Incidentally I reckon that you will finish your extrawot build before I finish my wot 4am assembly!

All the best...Chris.

Some info on setting up electric motors guys. I bought a small on-board telemetry system sold by SM Modelbau called the UnisensE that can be made to talk to most types of radio system. (You can find an English translation here.) It is small and light yet provides real time readouts of the motor parameters as well as height and is pretty accurate.

I mention this as when doing a check on power output on two 2 mtr class aerobats I found that the static measurement was way out. I recorded 3600 watts at 98 amps on one motor/prop combo (10S pack with a 99 amp ESC) but never saw more than 2800 watts (the motor's limit) on more than one occasion and around 70 amps. Those figures were obtained from the UnisensE with the aircraft tethered and then at full throttle on a vertical climb.

I no longer rely on ground testing but on relying on airborne readings. For electrics, there is little point in doing a static full power check once you have sorted out the correct prop and, as you can see from the results I obtained, if you use the static power/current check to size the prop you will be well under that power/current in the air. Up to you how you go about this but for around Euro 70 (incl post) you have a piece of kit that can be moved from model to model to help check you are getting the maximum performance out of your equipment without overstressing it.