Radiomaster TX16s Anyone tried one?

Tim A

A quick update from my earlier posting, I have now flown my TX16S for the first time. Range check was good and flew with no problem whatsoever RSSI telemetry remained strong throughout flight. Minor niggles would be screen not as readable outside compared to my FRSKY X10S and I could do with stronger gimble springs. But other than that I'm very happy with the radio.

The snag with importing radios yourself is that if anything is not to UK standards ( e.g. DSM2 Tx ) then it could possibly be impounded by customs. So you might lose out rather than saving money! The BMFA Handbook has some words about the responsibility being yours to ensure radio etc complies with standards. It doesn't seem worth it when you also consider that you don't get the same sort of warranty that would come with a UK purchase. .

Posted by Keith Berriman on 08/08/2020 19:55:47:

Did see the you tube that means removal of some ribbon wire connector and then physical change of the gimbals

It is slightly unusual compared to most radios where you move the ratchet across from one side to the other rather than swapping over gimbals, but it certainly doesn't look hard to do. I wouldn't let that put you off! Just get a brew on, have your laptop/mobile open along side you with the video on it and work slowly and carefully.

Edited By MattyB on 10/08/2020 10:49:56

I agree with the ease of changing modes. However have in mind that particularly one is imported (no warranty) and is not the hall sensor gimbal model. The latter is £10 more with a guarantee from hobbyrc who say they are expected in this week (uk stock). They are supplied as mode 2. Your choice!

I've got one and like it a lot. I also have a Taranis X9D, X10 and X9 lite. Why change? Because Frsky keep changing and all the 3 radios are running on different protocols. The TX16S does the lot so I can run all my models from it. It has a copy feature which means I can copy all my models from my X9D which was/is my primary radio. I'm just learning how to copy. I can also use cheaper (Than Frsky) receivers from different manufacturers as it's multi protocol. The radio in comparison for what you get is dirt cheap. The build quality is fine it's on par with my X9D in my opinion. I've used it in anger and really like the gimbals as I can get a really stiff stick - you know what I mean - which I could never quite get on my X9D even with upgraded gimbals. Weight wise it feels a bit lighter than the X9D, the neck strap point is perfect and suits both thumb and pinchers, I'm the latter. I've used neck straps and trays and could never get one that suited 100%, per chance I bought a DJI shoulder strap ending in a single point clip connection. It balances superb very comfy and cheap at £12. My only gripe and it's not at Radiomaster is that I can't get a 5000Mah Tx battery they all seem to be sold out. I did buy a 2S 3000Mah lipo which hasn't been great, I think it's a rubbish battery I've got. I haven't used the option of 2 x 18650's but I will do as I run these in my X9 Lite. Some have reported 10 hours from these, we'll see when I try this week. I can't think of any reason for not buying this radio just because it's cheap don't think it's rubbish far far from it. Also it's future proofed with a touch screen display. Yet to come when Open Tx updates the version needed.

Tony

Posted by Tony Callan on 10/08/2020 14:48:50:

I've got one and like it a lot. I also have a Taranis X9D, X10 and X9 lite. Why change? Because Frsky keep changing and all the 3 radios are running on different protocols. The TX16S does the lot so I can run all my models from it.

Might seem like nit picking, but that's not quite correct. None of the TXs based on the multi-protocol module can do the new ACCESS protocol from FrSky, though apparently they have already incorporated the "oh-so-marvellous" bug filled ACCST v2.

That came out a few months ago, ostensibly to correct a bug that caused very occasional uncommanded servo movements, but it seems they were more focussed on encrypting the protocol to try and force people to buy the new TXs and RXs than releasing solid RF firmware. Not only does that mean the new TXs won't bind to aftermarket FrSky compatibles, but lots of other bugs were introduced which they are now leaving to the community to squish for them.

In time I'm sure the multi-protocol bods will reverse engineer ACCESS, but for the moment you will need one of the new FrSky ISRM TXs to use it. Personally I'm not excited by ACCESS; only the hands free binding is really of interest and ACCST does everything else I could wish it to (in 10 years of FrSky use I've never had one of these uncommanded servo movements). I've always been a happy customer previously, but these cynical changes are making me wonder if I will stick with them in the long term. In reality though changing to any other major manufacturer would still cost a lot more than buying a new ACCESS TX and receivers.

Edited By MattyB on 10/08/2020 17:08:37

Yes you're right it won't do all the Frsky stuff. To explain why I'm changing over to the TX16S as my main radio is because I loved the Taranis when it first came out, lots of learning curves and a few swear words along the way. Then over time, progress, things started to change. I was on FCC like the rest of us then the law changed and we're on EU LBT - not Frsky's fault, then the decline of supporting D8 of which I have more than 20 models on, then you were told to update everything, then all the different protocols etc. So for me, and I still fly on FCC firmware as well as EU LBT and ACCESS it was a God send when the TX16S came out. If I was starting out Frsky would look appealing but having experienced the history they could change their minds next week and everything would be redundant. It's interesting that they started the "Revolution" and they are now falling victim to it. Just a final thought: A D8 V8R4-II receiver six weeks ago was £12+ now the same receiver is £21+. They are still advertised at lower prices but "Out of Stock" notices everywhere the in stock items are at the inflated prices.

Tony

Yes, they have somewhat fallen victim to their own success and are now trying to squeeze users onto higher priced, higher margin TXs and RXs.

The ETSI changes in 2015 were the first indication Frsky would take this path. There was no reason they couldn’t have released a compliant version of the D8 protocol (competitors using the same chipset were able to), but they chose not to in order to push people to the higher priced X series. Bizarrely D8 RXs continued to be sold here in the UK despite the fact they a) transmit and b) don’t have a valid CE certificate of conformity, but the authorities didn’t seem to care about that. I guess this will be the end of their commercial availability though.

Even so I don’t agree that every change immediately renders all the earlier products obsolete; all but one of the Frsky RXs I’ve ever bought remain usable with my current Taranis, and a new ACCESS set should I need one is only ~£100. The long and short of it is that it’s still great value compared to competitors, as long as you can live with their rather chaotic approach to updates and new features

The D8 protocol operates by the Tx sending data every 9mS, 3 times (27 mS elapsed time), then the Rx sends back the telemetry during the next 9mS, so the Rx doesn't use so much bandwidth. Depending on the actual transmit power, the Rx may well still be legal, it is the Tx that isn't.

If you have D8 receivers and an ACCESS Tx, you might consider flashing the D8 (note not the V8) receivers with the firmware I've written for them that supports the D16 (X) protocol to be able to continue using them.

See here: **LINK**.

This firmware auto detects the specific protocol at bind time (FCC/LBT, V1/V2).

Mike

Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/08/2020 21:39:03:

The D8 protocol operates by the Tx sending data every 9mS, 3 times (27 mS elapsed time), then the Rx sends back the telemetry during the next 9mS, so the Rx doesn't use so much bandwidth. Depending on the actual transmit power, the Rx may well still be legal, it is the Tx that isn't.

I'm not going to argue the point technically - I am sure you are correct that there is a decent chance the D8 RXs are capable of being compliant with the current ETSI regs. The problem (which I have pointed out a number of times before to UK sellers) is that none of these RXs have a valid Certificate of Conformity from Frsky since 2015, and as I understand it that is a mandatory requirement to be sold in the EU.

Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/08/2020 21:39:03:

If you have D8 receivers and an ACCESS Tx, you might consider flashing the D8 (note not the V8) receivers with the firmware I've written for them that supports the D16 (X) protocol to be able to continue using them.

See here: **LINK**.

This firmware auto detects the specific protocol at bind time (FCC/LBT, V1/V2).

Clever stuff Mike, though it does look fairly involved process to flash them compared with the std process. I will keep this in mind, but as I still have an old D8 module lying around I think it will be able to keep my oldest RXs in use for many years to come via that even once Frsky abandon D8. I might by a spare XJT too to une on ACCST v1.x as it seems v2 is still somewhat buggy!

The first flash is involved, but I now include a bootloader so any updates are then easily possible without opening up the Rx.

I also wonder about the RM Tx (and the Jumper ones), since they use a multi-protocol module that includes FrSky D8 and DSM2 protocols, neither of which are compliant with the current ETSI regs.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Bought tx16s last week as instant backup to my x9d+, as using the clone facility I don't have to rebind my receivers - brilliant feature.

I've copied my models across and tested 2, so far and they seem to work fine. I like the feel and handling of the tx16s so think I will make it my main radio.

Extra trims T5, T6, look great for things like butterfly compensation etc.

• 3 months later...

Hi all I found this while searching for info before buying a new transmitter to get back I to the sport after a lot of years away.

Most of my gear is 35mhz except I converted an old hitec using a frsky hack so I've quite a few small models with old v8 rxs

I first looked at frsky taranis x9lite but I need an external module to utilise the old rxs as well as going forward with new ones but then I saw the radiomaster tx16s which for the same price seems a lot better featured

Any advice which would be better ? I don't want to spend much more at this stage but one concern I have is eu compliance as I don't see any mention of lbt on the radiomaster tx16s hall ?

Thanks

Posted by RAYMOND MCMASTER on 21/01/2021 10:19:08:

Most of my gear is 35mhz except I converted an old hitec using a frsky hack so I've quite a few small models with old v8 rxs

I don't want to spend much more at this stage but one concern I have is eu compliance as I don't see any mention of lbt on the radiomaster tx16s hall ?

Thanks

Why not use the 35mhz gear you already have for the time being?

Well its not hard to find the conformity certificate, the problem with doom/nay sayers they never stop to check facts first and spread false uncertainties to make life harder

here is a link to the right page just download and view the right document for your needs

HERE click

Edited By flight1 on 21/01/2021 11:23:23