Fournier RF-4

I would strongly recommend that you screw wooden battens (50x25mm) underneath the MDF sheet or it will eventually bend and no longer be flat. I made a similar building board with MDF with cork tiles which is now useless for most work. I now use it as a cutting board (supported on tressels) for film etc. I use a sheet of steel and magnetic blocks but it still needs a flat board to rest it on.

This looks an interesting project and (yet another!) one I fancy myself. After viewing your Ballerina build I'm sure this will be just as stunning. I agree with Peter re scale scheme for a scale model.

Geoff

Shear webs glued in place and wing joiner adjusted to fit and glued.

dscn0646.jpg

Followed by the front of R1 set at the dihedral angle and lined up with the rear part of R1.

dscn0647.jpg

Followed by the rear half glued in place.

dscn0648.jpg

Looks good to me but how good, I will find out when I join he wing together.

Leading edge next when the glue has dried, obviously.

Cheers beer

Steve

But I do think of it as you model Peter.

I have to admit I forgot about the charred wood, which has now been sanded off. Thanks for pointing it out.

I am now trying to work out how to cut and shape the leading edge for the bottom sheet.

That will be tomorrow after a good nights sleep, I hope.

Cheers beer

Steve

You just chamfer the lower edge of the sheet to roughly match the ribs before sticking to the ribs.

I build the wing with a slight over hang of the board so I can stick mappins in underneath the sheet. Failing that one can wedge short bits of tapered balsa underneath to hold the sheet against the leading edge.

Once the wing is complete and the cap strip is glued on it will be perfectly strong enough.