Fournier RF-4

Or a partial fit? laugh

Anyway you have all convinced me that I am too much of a perfectionist.

back to the build.

Shear webs are glued in, leading edge glued and sheeting pulled up and glued to the leading edge. I then used super aliphatic on the ribs.

dscn0661.jpg

Waiting for the glue to dry then shape the leading edge for the top sheet.

Cheers beer

Steve

Nikon Coolpix given to me twenty years ago and hardly used until I started the Ballerina. It just says lens error when I turn it on.

I have always found mobiles useless and only use them for text and phone calls.

Oh well I always feel a bit down when things break, Some one did suggest that maybe I have chosen the wrong hobby. laugh

Posted by brokenenglish on 04/10/2020 07:50:03:

Surely the motor mount shown above could be built up as a robust ply cube, maybe even enlarged as necessary, and used as a ballast box.

Edited By brokenenglish on 04/10/2020 07:51:25

I'm not sure I could build a ply cube that would be robust enough. I could have hollowed out the existing one and filled it with ballast, but I only thought of that yesterday. Hindsight is wonderful!!

That looks like a setting for "Panoramic" pictures.

Interestingly there was an artcile in Amateur Photographer very recently about buying old digital cameras with low pixel counts which are ideal for blogging and they tend to be around the £10 to £15 mark.

I even thought about getting one but I can change my cameras from large files to small ones in a couple of seconds.

A bit more practice with the cheap mobile.

The leading edge top sheet has dried and is partially holding it's shape. For this wing I don't think this step is essential as the sheet does bend to shape quite easily when dry and very easily when damp on the outside.

img_20201005_092301.jpg

Hmm the auto focus is not great.

Glue time next yes

I am pleased with the progress as a week for each of these tapered wings is good especially as I have been flying on three days.

Talking about joining wings has anyone noticed that I have lifted this wing and turned it around?

A second hand camera now that is a good idea at that price.

Cheers beer

Steve

Ooops FF

Glued and clamped now with no tubes thinking

img_20201006_112139_hdr.jpg

I know! I will do what I did on the first wing, use the string method. I convinced myself that as the string will be removed the weight of the model will be reduced. So I did not forget as it was a positive decision on my part.

Anybody believe me?

I was going to use the tube but I had glued R1 in place and then realised that R1 does not have a hole for the tube.

So I did not forget did I. blush

Cheers beer

Steve

Installed the string to pull the servo wired through the ribs.

Fitted the scrap blocks for the wing mounting plate, both of them embarrassed which included some practice surgery.

Cut and fitted the top sheet glued and buried it under wood and old batteries.

img_20201006_194724_hdr.jpg

Cap strips tomorrow and anything else I forgot.

Cheers beer

Steve

Not a good start to the daysad

I removed the wing from the board and turned it over to inspect the joint and this is what I found.

img_20201008_194711.jpg

Not good, what an embarrassment embarrassed

Also some of the leading edge sheet was not glued to the leading edge.

Anyway not being one to give up at the first setback I glued the sheet down and once dried planed and sanded it down.

img_20201008_194748.jpg

I thought now that looks good, Unfortunately my eyes saw the centre join so I gave up for the day.

Anyway I at least made some progress today and tomorrow I will make some more and that way it will get built.

On reflection no a bad day really. smiley These little setbacks are all part of the fun!

Cheers beer

Steve

Your encouragement is appreciated Peter. Thanks.

Looking this morning I agree the centre join just needs a bit of sanding.

The leading edge has worked out well this time.

Generally the build process is becoming easier as I complete more models, no surprise there. Obviously I have a lot to learn if I am to get to the spectacular finishes that I have seen on this forum. For me though what is important at this stage is to produce a model that will fly, learn in the process and enjoy myself.

So after breakfast it's on with the build.

Cheers beer

Steve

Low stress I like as it does not trigger my anxiety, now that is a strange condition to be saddled with.

I have been shaping the leading edge which as it went well I decided to attack the joint with sand paper.

img_20201009_143922.jpg

I know I do not understand what the fuss was about. It will look perfect when finished and no need for a bandage either. Well I hope.

Cut up some block for the wing tips.

img_20201009_143855.jpg

Ready to glue but I have had enough and need a rest. One of the joys of getting old is that there is no need to feel guilty over having a siesta after all it is expected.

Cheers beer

Steve