SLEC Li'l Cub build

Geoff S

The parts for Peter Miller's Li'l Cub arrived this afternoon, which is very prompt. I opted to buy both the CNC parts and the wood. The total cost, including postage (and VAT, which wasn't included in the quote) is £86.01.

I haven't studied the box contents carefully but it looks comprehensive and includes the balsa dowel which I knew I didn't have in stock. I like the sheet identifying the CNC components. It all came in a labelled box so perhaps SLEC is anticipating selling a few sets.

slec parts.jpg

I have no intention of doing a blow by blow build log but I'll post a few photos as I go along.

Geoff

Interesting indeed.

Please forgive my dumb questions but is this kit Geoff S has just a one off for SLEC, cos I can't find it on the SLEC website?

What is the wingspan and length of the model (can't find that either).

Would give me a nice build job over the winter.

I just emailed SLEC for the price (a member of the forum had asked them to do the CNC cutting. (I can't recall who) and then phoned to order it on Friday and it arrived this afternoon (Tuesday). So very quick service.

Had a look through the wood and it seems to cover all that will be needed. I know it's bit of a cop out as most of the parts would have been easy to self-cut but, as I said, I took the easy option and trust SLEC to supply sufficient balsa and ply.

Geoff

I've come to the conclusion that cutting out your own kit of parts is a vastly overrated pastime once you've got past the initial challenge of it, say after the first 50 or so models. I'm all for laser cut kits, short or otherwise, and don't think it's copping out at all no matter how simple the parts.

• Like 1

I've joined the Li'l Cub Club.

I put in an order to SLEC for the complete kit (CNC parts + wood parts + plan).

Nina and Chris at SLEC are soooooooo helpful. A joy to deal with.

I understand Chris will be making half a dozen kits in the next couple of weeks or so. Don't all rush at once

It's my winter project. Make a change from hobnobbing with the beautiful people at Courchevel 1850.

Thank all of you gentlemen for your helpful and infectious enthusing about this most interesting and unusual model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having finished my Pup as far as is needed before its maiden (I may add more scale detailing once I know it flies at its current somewhat porky weight) I've started work on the L'l Cub.

I've made a little progress but not enough to be worth showing yet - perhaps in a few days. I've been looking at the undercarriage. On the drawing it's quite simple but the photos of Peter's protoytype as well as the original show some sort of springing or extra re-inforcement (probably the former) between the legs as seen towards the bottom of this page.

Is there a better drawing or photograph of the full size which illustrates the undercarriage arrangement anywhere?

Geoff

Thanks, Peter. I should have realised it was based on a standard Cub undercarriage. Not sure how far I'll go to replicating it but I'll at least make it look more scale.

I assume there's no sheer web sheeting. It doesn't appear to on the drawing and the spars aren't in line with each other (which would make attaching them more difficult)

Geoff

Do you know I had not realised that there were no spar webs until I looked at the plans again.

As you say, the angle of teh spars would have made it tricky to fit them.

But the wing is quite stiff enough and has the struts to hold it true.

The trouble is that once a design has gone through the building and flying and has been published I tend to forget all about it as I will be thinking of the next one.

Martin, how do you bond them together, I find the use of carbon rods interesting. I am talking in model terms of course, although on second thoughts the use in aircraft , such as the real thing, must also pose some problems. Your reply should be quite useful.!!!

Bas

Edited By Basil on 04/10/2020 12:26:53

Well I've made a little progress.

I joined the balsa fuselage sides which came in several pieces. I taped them together with Selotape then turned them over, opened them like a book and used Cyano to edge glue them. They needed a little fettling (as do a few of the CNC cut parts but nothing to be too concerned about.

fuselage 1.jpg

This the balsa side so you can see the joins. The ply doublers are in one piece as you'd expect.

The tricky bit is building the rest of the fuselage with round dowel rather than square balsa. It's quite difficult to get a good joint for the cross bracing pieces. It's turned out OK but there are a few small gaps I intend to fill with paste made from 60 min epoxy and lightweight filler. I use DeLuxe aliphatic glue mostly but 60 minute epoxy to glue the dowel longerons into the grooves in the front fuselage sides. I didn't find it necessary to have a reversed drawing. btw the dowlel supplied by SLEC is ramin rather than balsa but Peter mentioned somewhere that there wasn't a problem with CoG and ramin would be ok. It's a bit more robust anyway.

fuselage 3.jpg

Tailplane, elevator, fin and rudder all built. I used 6mm square spruce (I think - hardwood anyway) for the rudder post as I thought it would be a lot easier to make a sound glue joint to the back of the fuselage.

fin and rudder.jpg

tailplane.jpg

I had a bit of a struggle with the laminated parts fro the rudder and tailplane but eventually succeeded in making serviceable parts.  I'm a bit of a rough and ready builder compared to some of the 'stars' on here but my models usually fly OK in the end

The wing is partly framed up on my magnetic build board (I had to fall back on MDF and cork tiles for the fuselage) but not glued yet. The centre section is partly glued.

Not sure what motor to use. I have an Axi 2820_12 which I can liberate from another model which may suit.

The parts supplied by SLEC aren't perfect but any fettling is relatively trivial and I'm reasonably happy so far.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 08/10/2020 21:52:14

That looks good. Like you I am a rough and ready builder and it always works. My regular remark is "You can't see it at 50 feet"

I didn't know that SLEC did ramin dowel. Thatmight need a bit of nose weight to compensate for the extra weight but it will be stronger although mine never failed.

I can't remember if SLEC had a copy of my original drawings but there could be slight variatipons between mine and the magazine ones. IT has been known.