SLEC Li'l Cub build

Geoff S

Basil, if you are fitting those threaded ends into a snake inner then the little gadget I made will help insert them without damaging the thread -

it is simply a clevis of the same 2mm thread opened out to give something to hold and a bolt ( in this case another thread end with a soldered on head )  In use the thread end is inserted into the clevis and the 'bolt'  inserted from the other end which 'locknuts' the two together.   Then the thread end can be screwed into the snake inner, when it's in far enough ( halfway ) then unscrewing the bolt releases the grip and the clevis can be removed leaving the thread end in the snake inner.

1-IMG_4023-002.JPG

Edited by kc

18 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I gather that you just bought SLEC snakes without the clevises.  SLEC sell 2 mm threaded rods about an inch long (Product Code: SL017-R)

These will screw into the ends of the hollow snakes and then you can screw on a metal clevis

Product Code: SL016B-R

If you have the solid inners to the snakes Slec sell metal ends (Product Code: SL016C-R)

snakes which can be crimped on to the snake or glued on with CA. Again the metal clevis screws on.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply Peter.My delema is caused I think as at the moment I am unable to seek outside help. The snake I have is the SL25, with a quick link. This has a bare plastic end.  I have the SL016,( Male/female 2mm threaded).If a quick link or ball end is fitted it still requires a 2mm hole in the horn/servo arm.I take it that these are the only 2 alternatives. In this size model this means enlarging the hole in the horn/arm, this does not leave much 'Meat on the fitting, or am I being over cautiuos!!!!! I just find connecting controls to surfaces rather difficult as it seems we always seem to get back to the same fittings.

I did try to use a wire push/pull but the only way I can see would be to use an additional horn between servo and horn for wires due to the run of the wires. Am I making the situation more complicated that it is??????????????

Thanks for your support

Bas

Edited by Basil
omission

OK. With small servo output arms I use Metal pushrod connectors ( SL063-R) as these only use a very small hole in the arm

You would need a threaded rod  (SL017) screwed into the end of your snake as mentioned for the other end.  THis will go into the pushrod connector.  This will leave you enough meat.

The other alternative that I use in this situation is to bend a Z bend in thin wire and solder this to the threaded brass servo connector.  That Z bend only need a very small hole in the output arm.

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

OK. With small servo output arms I use Metal pushrod connectors ( SL063-R) as these only use a very small hole in the arm

You would need a threaded rod  (SL017) screwed into the end of your snake as mentioned for the other end.  THis will go into the pushrod connector.  This will leave you enough meat.

The other alternative that I use in this situation is to bend a Z bend in thin wire and solder this to the threaded brass servo connector.  That Z bend only need a very small hole in the output arm.

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Hope this helps

Yes Peter it does. If nothing else it made me use my brain alittle (A lot more). Just one thing more, I have some 1mm plastic rod/sleeve, what fittings can I use on these ends, as I cant find anything as small as 1mm listed anywhere?

Bas

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

I have never used anything that small.

J Perkins list Dubro micro clevises and also list rods and clevis etc for  Arrows Hobby spare parts for for various planes.

Perkins do not sell direct but you could check the websites of various model shops.

Thanks Peter, I'll have a dig around.

Bas

17 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

No response to my posts ?

I thought I gave loads of ideas that were helpful.

Not to worry.

Steve

Sorry Steve, got side tracked, trying to buy a second hand car.The super light is to short.  The diameter of the push rod keeper is 2mm, as I said to Peter this means drilling out the horn, it is small, was part of my original post , does not leave a lot of meat.The SL026 is what I have, again those parts that fix to it appear to be all 2mm, same problem as before. As I said I am a newby so been trying to find some alternatives.

Thanks Bas