Redundant at 62!

Cliff Bastow

My sympathies. 62 is bad, but 57 is worse!

When I went to sign-on, I was told that my savings (i.e. my pension) were too high for me to get any JSA.

When my 'gardening leave' expired I thought I'd better be a good boy and tell my car insurer of my change of status to officially 'unemployed'. Thanks for letting us know, they said - we've now cancelled your policy... "We don't insure unemployed people".

No JSA and the stigma of 'unemployed' made me change my status to 'retired'. Never looked back...

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 05/09/2020 14:42:45

I'm, afraid these days employees are just a number, and loyalty only works one way. If they can get a robot or a machine to do the work they would get rid of you in seconds even if you had worked there for ages. A book I can recommend, "The ragged trousered philanthropist" one part was even banned years ago as it give the working class too many secrets as to how employers kept the means of production to themselves. Hope things turn up better for you.

Hi Flyboy3,

You are right there, they expect loyalty from there employees but give non back, they have already sent a letter round saying that if we decide to leave before planned shut down date we will have to work out our notice which in my case is 1 month. Fat chance, if I get another offer I am off and they can whistle for my notice. Loyalty works both ways.

Not really Jonathan,

I could maybe work through an agency but then I would have to travel about and you get all the shifts nobody else wants, weekends, bank holidays, nights etc. An option if I get desperate.

We could maybe downsize and be mortgage free which might help but we don't want to if possible as we both love our bungalow and I have my nice workshop attached but needs must if desperate.

Hard luck Chris. I was made redundant at 60 so I know how it feels.

Mike T, unless they have changed the rules since my day you should have been able to get Contributions Based JSA for six months even if you were as rich as Croesus providing had been paying Class 1 (ie Employed Status) National Insurance Contributions. If you were self employed however...

It was Social Security Benefit which was means tested. They've both been replaced by Universal Credit.

I thought that I was out of a job JCB, had a redundancy letter in June, after they were looking to lay quite a few off, but they made a agreement to find a way to stave off redundancies, as work was there, just couldn't get much sense of the Covid situation.

Luckily went back 2 weeks ago, and even been working overtime, including the first Sat since last year..

I don't know the full circumstances of the closure, but my understanding of employment law is that if the work is to be carried out by another firm, TUPE legislation applies (Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment)). Employees should then transfer to the new employer on their existing terms and conditions. I'm not an expert and I suspect that some firms will try to avoid their obligations, however, it might be worth looking into.

I was working as a technician in a school at my last job (1992) When they made me redundant in January to take effect in September. Then I became ill with Mycoplasma Pneumonia which developed into ME.

The head of department then tried to get me slung out on medical grounds to save the redundancy pay.

When I told the medical examiner he said "Really!!.I see! Of course you will probably be fit to go back to work!!"

In fact I wasn't but I did get my redundacy pay

Edited By Peter Miller on 05/09/2020 18:26:40

Sorry to hear of your problems but there is always a silver lining ! I was made redundant at 58 and it is the best thing that could have happened to me. I was giving everything to the job, overtime, shifts, covering sick leave and more - and I was going downhill. I left my job, after a little pushing, and was able to take a deep breath. THEN I started my own business and have not looked back. I truely mean it, it was the very best thing that could have happened and now at 64 my business is doing well and I have no intention of stopping, in fact it would be nice to employ someone to do the work lol. My advice therefore is take that deep breath and look for opportunities.

See you smiling on the other side.

Sorry to here about your redundancy. Similar happened to me, job given to someone in Europe, it was much cheaper to make English redundant than a person in Europe.

Keep your spirits up, something will appear when you keep trying, remember it isn't your fault, it is their loss as they'll have to sort all the teething problems out with the new contractor. Finding a job is like a job in itself.

A plan build in balsa is very therapeutic, I can vouch for that.

My circumstances were not quite the same, in that I sought early retirement at 56. Even then, I had doubts was I doing the right thing.

My concern on leaving, was ensuring I had enough stamps for a full pension at 65. To achieve this I signed on as unemployed each week, without fail, kept letters and correspondence that I was actively seeking work.

Unlike others who managed to get some financial help for a period, my application was rejected. The problem probably was I did not do my research and know the qualification rules. Learn from a numpties negative experience. Citizens advice probably is a good source.

I did not find work or it find me, then again, I found that I was able to get along quite well and be very much happier. Perhaps one draw back I had in job hunting was I was invited for an interview at the other end of the country, for a job similar in principle to the one I had. I did not want to travel, nor have the responsibility of that job. I was prepared to do work with no significant responsibility, that did not require me to work long hours either weekly or at short notice (at others requirements). I self limited what I was prepared to do, with not very little clear idea, of what might interest me.

With hind sight I should have started Garden Maintenance, that is cutting lawns. As now i have found I like gardening, you are your own boss. The downside i knew and know little about plants, but I would have learnt.

My advice would be understand what you want, take any job that looks that it may allow you to be more particular when searching for another job, a stepping stone. That is if it is a necessity to work, if not, do things that interest you.

As for employers, there are many arguments, often dependent on which side of the fence you are, and circumstance. Most things are not Black or White, rather a shade of grey.

I wish you the best, in the future.

Cliff, I suggest that whilst working you consider getting the e-mail address for all your colleagues so that if one person gets an opportunity they might, hopefully, contact the others and give them a chance too. In particular try to get some of the management who might well get into the new contractors in an influential position.

It's also possible someone might start up on their own and want known good workers to join him. The assets of a business are largely contained in the brains of those with the practical knowhow. Keeping a team together who have the knowhow might possibly be worthwile. So ask around to see if anyone is starting up on their own. Much as I despise the principle of networking and giving jobs to chums I suppose it's everyone for themselves nowadays. it's worth being able to contact others easily!