How do you clean your glow engined models after flying?

Jonathan M

I don't mind the faff of cleaning glow-fuel residue off IC models after flying before packing them away in the car, but wondering what the easiest/best method is?

Been using baby-wipes (never been without them since the kid was a nipper fifteen years ago!). These seem to lift most of the gunk off, then I wipe the surfaces dry with some kitchen-roll tissue.

But is there a better method - what do other people do, or what products do you use?

Just normal glass and cleaner nowadays; I've tried various concoctions and ratios including meths, Isopropyl, washing up liquid etc, but glass cleaner seems to to the job. I use blue roll paper as I buy it in bulk for use around the workshop.

Edited By Mark H75 on 17/09/2020 19:39:48

Used to be old (v.v. old) Terry Towelling nappies, now tired (v.v. tired) old hand towels or old tea towels to wipe off the worst of the grott, Anyway you need one after starting and tuning your engine before you fly and again after carirying your pride and joy back to the pits after a flight. I then wrap the engine and silencer in one of the grotty towels to prevent oll stains in the car on the way home. When I get home it could be whatever spray SWMBO has in the kitchen for cleaning surfaces that day or alternatively automobile glass cleaner spray as supplied in the usual pump sprayers (Auto Glym is excellent) any of which will shift pretty well anything that's likely to be stuck to your airframe. The secret, whatever cleaning fluid you use is to remove it with a clean towel and as a final flourish polish with another clean cloth. As mentioned above - a homeopathic misting with your furniture polish of choice at the polishing stage is the finishing touch, or overkill depending on your point of view.

As a last resort diluted washing up liquid or screen wash will also do the job, but not up to the standard of the dedicated automobile glass cleaner.

Finally - in the cause of marital harmony - don't try to sneak your 'flying' towels in with the family wash -

I keep an industrial blue paper towel roll in the car and use a quick spray of mr muscle kitchen and bathroom cleaner which immediately removes any traces of oil. Very quick! My planes are stored hanging horizontally from the garage ceiling and I put a “nappy” of the paper towel round the cowl to prevent oil dripping out onto the floor later on. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 18/09/2020 07:17:14

Edited By Tim Flyer on 18/09/2020 07:18:51

I use the spray windscreen de-icer . It contains high amount of alcohol that cuts through oil and leaves models clean without being sticky like some baby wipes that I've seen being used. I also buy cheap tea towels for the cleaning and after a few rinses replace them. Buy the de-icer during the summer when cheaper or 2 for 1 . You can buy the de-icer in gallons or half gallons if you have an old spray bottle handy.

50:50 Elbow grease and water does the job as well as any of the 'witches brews' I've tried over the years. Cheap as chips from Poundland and lasts for ages. Similar to the excellent Desolve-it that we used to use in work but much more diluted.

Use Muc-off on my motorbike, good for very heavily oiled models now and again when required, but quite expensive for use after every flight. Usually around a tenner a bottle but sometimes on offer for less than half that. Can be diluted.

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/09/2020 09:55:44