Future balsa supplies in UK

I have to agree. As much as the flite test stuff makes for a viable alternative construction, the overall look of the finished article just isn't for me. It may be that we have to look at alternative materials seriously now, but I'm not sure that foam board covers every base.

There's a bit of a trend towards rather... utilitarian looking models at the moment. For me, the build, the aesthetics, the 'fit and finish' are a big part of the experience. Just because something flies ok isn't always enough. For me anyway, we're all different.

Foam board works excellently well when used for internal structure. On hack models I'm happy to also use for flat plate controls / tails. Less excited about it as an all over replacement though. Too squishy for structure, especially with glow.

I'm looking at veneered poly bead foam with renewed interest though, that has wings, decks, tailplanes & fins quite well covered.

I've found what looks to be reasonably priced raw Sapele (heavier than Obechi) veneer here:

https://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/collections/all/products/sapele-wood-veneer?variant=35408732913820

£16 for a sheet of 108" x 20" and £5 post. It's around the same price per area, as 1/16 balsa used to be.

and Koto - which I have read is a different name for Obechi

https://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/products/koto-wood-veneer?variant=34781820649628

This looks around 2/3 price of 1/16 balsa.

Love to know if anyone has another source of veneer, BC look to be out of stock on poplar.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news at last. It seems SLEC have balsa coming from Indonesia instead of Papua now. Arriving by the end of the year! Probably take a bit longer to be on sale , but there's hope anyway.

I wonder whatever happened to Ecudor as a supplier of balsa?

You may be right Piers but in the 1970's when I used to deal with timber imports from Indonesia ( Ramin mainly ) and Burma (teak) I thought it took about a month, maybe my memory is wrong. Maybe those pre container era shipments were in smaller ships that were able to go through Suez Canal. But it also used to be possible to speed up shipment for important cargo from Far East by shipping to Vladivostock and then by the Trans Siberian Railway to Europe. Cut the transit time to 3 to 4 weeks and was more reliable if my memory is right. But whatever the transit time the goods always got held up in the docks etc and that's what i expect to happen to now. I don't expect balsa until the Spring or Summer! Best customer will get served first and that will surely be film industry and kit makers.

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 12:42:40:

from a possible shortage to some on its way is good.....wait and see the outcome from what Slec have put on their web site...and well done to them...for taking into account their customers.....

ken anderson...ne..1..Slec/balsa dept.

There IS a shortage! Right now you cannot buy medium or soft grade wood from SLEC or Balsa Cabin. Right at the start of the winter building season. If that isn't a shortage then I don't know what is?!

nobody arguing about whether there is a shortage or not Alan....here's a thing, the other week when it was first mentioned(a shortage) I decided to google "balsa wood"....there appears to be a few outlets for it...don't know what the quality is like....have a look.

ken anderson...ne..1..no argument dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 13:27:37

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 13:03:30:

nobody arguing about whether there is a shortage or not Alan....here's a thing, the other week when it was first mentioned(a shortage) I decided to google "balsa wood"....there appears to be a few outlets for it...don't know what the quality is like....have a look.

ken anderson...ne..1..no argument dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 13:27:37

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 12:42

from a possible shortage to some on its way is good

Well it looks like you are arguing with yourself here Ken....

First a possible shortage and then a definite shortage.

There is little point looking at craft suppliers of balsa such as Fred Aldous or Hobbycraft or the like as sources for model aircraft building. They sell balsa as a crafting supply (decoupage etc) and they are further down the supply chain than aeromodellers are in terms of wood quality.

There is a shortage of balsa suitable for our needs. Full stop.

Well 18 inch lengths may be better than nothing. I suspect it's just short lengths for posting easily. Do we know if this is actually in stock& available? Certainly long enough for ribs, formers etc and could perhaps be joined for other longer items. Unless it comes as offcuts from some other use it's likely to be in short supply too, although they might have different suppliers to SLEC etc.

The last time I bought a piece of balsa from Hobbycraft it was (a) about four times the cost of SLEC and (b) the single piece in the shop that was around medium grade - every other bit in their limited selection was like oak. Only in an emergency...

I'd hold on for the usual suspects to restock.

yes I bought some from our local hobby craft branch at eye watering prices...I only needed a small amount and convinced myself the the ordering on line plus the p/p would be near the price I was paying at h/craft...the choice and quality wasn't brilliant...seems to have been on the shelf a while etc....but if you google there are a number of shops with balsa of different sorts available...and it was mentioned a couple of weeks ago on the forum that a model shop someone go's to had just received a fresh order in(although they didn't do mail order)...so until the much mentioned and used Slec gets replenished...there is some available for our use...…… although it may not suit everyone's needs... emotion

ken anderson...ne..1..needs dept.

KC...the link I posted as an example shows most of the sizes in stock...

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/11/2020 17:28:05

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the slec website and they've secured a new deal with their suppliers - still an increase in prices for balsa but not the 150% increase it was going to be. They haven't given what the increase will be but say the increase is 'more reasonable'. Feeling more positive than I was in September!!