Future balsa supplies in UK

Well I haven't been able to solve the Balsa issue , so I have turned my attention to other areas of life that could be improved for all of us .

It seems that the latest problem in our recovery is , "How do you get the Croany VIrus vaccine to people when it has to be kept at minus seventy degrees"?

Then it came to me . A secret reserve army , ideally suited to the task in hand . An army that is conveniently dormant and in hibernation at this time of year .

Yes Mr Whippy , Yes Tonibell !! (other brands are available)

Want a flake with that sir ?

ice cream.jpg

icecream 2.jpg

Richard, i dont know how you keep thinking of the funny posts you keep coming up with, any one that reads your war bird replicas sites know what i mean , how you design and produce your amazing kits and have time to think up these funnies is amazing.

Back on topic, my local model shop has loads of balsa, all SLEC supplied, they are based in KIngswinford in the West Mids. their name is Penn models and they do mail order, give them a try, they have been going for over 30 years.,

Posted by Engine Doctor on 06/12/2020 11:41:33:
Posted by Doc Marten on 06/12/2020 10:33:22:

I cannot wait to see the back of this year.

yes + 1 for that . 2021 ? half full or half empty year ? smiley

For various reasons I've been saying that for the last few years and look what happened at the start of 2020!

You will all be pleased to hear that Matt Hancock is totally on board with my Ice Cream Van vaccination roll out . In fact he has even offered to drive one of the vans . He has also pushed the concept to Rishi Sunak , who has completely embraced my suggestion that we could kick start small businesses at the same time by allowing people to line up in the street with their sleeve rolled up,,when they hear the chimes approaching , receive a quick jab in the arm and immediately be offered a selection of microwaved Gingsters savoury pastries .

So much nicer than that dreadful glass of orange and biscuit you normally get .

I'm really enjoying the opportunities arising from the new version of normal . I might get an OBE out of this or maybe even a Knighthood. Just like the other great household names , Phillip Green , Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris .

I like the idea of the chimes summoning us out to get vacinated!

Unfortunately Richard i think you will have to make a contribution to a political party before you get a knighthood.........we must have the best government money can buy.

Posted by kc on 08/12/2020 14:11:06:

I like the idea of the chimes summoning us out to get vacinated!

Unfortunately Richard i think you will have to make a contribution to a political party before you get a knighthood.........we must have the best government money can buy.

I think he has already donated to the Monster Raving loonies.

Question - what happened to Mrs Whippy?

While I've been waiting for the notification from the Royal Household regarding my long overdue honour , it dawned on me that I haven't really addressed the balsa shortage , the very reason for this thread .

What I normally do when confronted with an immovable problem . is skirt round it , or in this case perhaps borrow from another genre.

Now , I have a penchant for cakes , so last year my wife explained that she had been to the local Women's Institute meeting and that although there had been some amazing baked goods brought in , it wasn't really for her .

I had a thought....

So the following week , I donned my late mother's "Church Going " outfit . complete with permed wig and comfortable brogues, and off I went . It seemed that as long as I enthused about the cakes , I was entirely accepted , even though I never seemed to be able to shave close enough to look really convincing .

Luckily , I was not alone , as it seems that many women over sixty don't bother to shave more than twice a week .

What I did notice ,was that a lot of the proceedings revolved around crochet and even more so , knitting . In fact there were several women sitting with a ball of wool at their feet, clicking away with their needles at such a speed that multi coloured scarves seemed to flow from them like broad Tikka Tape streams.

One woman had even knitted a medieval castle ,complete with knights on the parapet.

It was thinking about the castle when it came to me . Barnes Wallis had built a Wellington Bomber using geodetic basket weave. Obviously the problem with wool was going to be rigidity .However, by running the wool from the ball through a polystyrene wallpapering bath ,full of slow drying epoxy , the wool could be knitted while still pliable ,but harden a few hours later .

With the aid of one of my new friends , we tried a 1960s style tank top and balaclava .

After a curing time of just over twelve hours , we had created a very light and colourful set of upper body armour . I have offered it to Chelmsford Police Force to trial , but have yet to receive a reply (you just can't help some people ) .

Anyway for wind tunnel testing we have made a small version of one of my previous designs.

I thought I would get your thoughts on this new and innovative approach .

knitted plane.jpg