DB DC3

dc3 3.jpgMany years ago Dave Boddington and his team made models for a TV series called wings and a few DC3's were made along with a spare kit or 2 if needed. These were very big models for those days and powered with Webra 60's. A friend of mine was on holiday in the UK in the early 80's and found one of these kits for sale at a show. He bought this kit and managed to get it back to South Africa.

In 1984 the DC3 was built and taken to Las Vegas for a QSAA meet. In 1988 at a local airshow this model was crashed and lay for many years collecting dust. A few years ago my son was given the bits and they were once again stored. I ellected to take on the rebuild and it was quite a project as we had to try and fix some of the parts to make a mold for the nacelles and cowls. The Centre section was rebuilt and the original homemade retracts were replaced with ESM ones and power changed to electric. G60 400kv motors with 6 cell 5000 lipo and Master airscrew 3 blade 14x9 props used. Weight is around 13kg.

Test flown yesterday in poor conditions but the Dak proved she is a real lady and will be re painteddc3 4.jpgdc3 2.jpg

dc3 1.jpg

Hi Chris, Your model would not have been built for the Wings tv series as it was set in the first world war.

Pretty sure it would have been for an early 80's series called Airline about an ex service pilot who wanted to set up his own service.

I have a Boddington model built for the TV series Flambards a few years before also powered by a Webra 61. Bleriot XI still fly's now and then. Cheers, John.9.jpg

This is the DVD of Airline - no longer at a reasonable price, but worth looking again to see if they reissue it. It's a good story and far better than most of the stuiff on TV now. I bought a copy a year or so ago when it was available for a reasonable price.

Same applies to Flambards - quite a good story and lots of model and fullsize flying which is difficult to say exactly which is which!

Wings is available and not too dear. A really good story and possibly the best story of the 3.

I believe all these programmes had models by David Boddington and his pals.    Boddo wrote about flying these models for TV and it's online somewhere if you search.

None of these good programmes seem to come back on TV as repeats so the DVD is the sort of thing to put on your Christmas list to avoid getting socks or ties etc that you don't want!

Edited By kc on 05/10/2020 17:32:30

Hi John

You are correct, it was for Airline, like the Bleriot. KC, thanks for the info, I must try to get a copy as I never saw the series. The DC 3 was later kitted by Inwood Models and I managed to get a kit wach is a long story all on its own. I built it and covered it in the Solar Trim Chrome like all the Ducted fan guys used in those days. I had 2 ST 90's for power and flew it for a number of years.and it died when it lost a motor in a steep climb and spun in. the airframe was beyond repair and when I got it home I had to start the long process of removing the equipment. My son Byron was about 3 years old and was quite upset abount the crash and kept on comming to me and saying how sorry he was about the Dak. The third time he came I said to him that it was fine and the dak is now in model heaven and is fixed and flying again. Byron looked at me in a strange way, thought for a bit and the asked me who is flying it and suggested that I should ask Jesus to keep it for me until I get there.

• 1 year later...