Covid AGM

We're looking at doing this year's AGM via Zoom. It should work fine for up to 100 participants, but the free account meetings are limited to 40 minutes - easy enough to chuck a tea break in there if you need more than that though. It'll be interesting to see how well it works and it's been suggested to have a pre-meeting some time before to iron out any issues.

We had a virtual EGM earlier this year but it was a simple single issue - do we move to a new site from the current one which is slated to be a housing estate in the next few years. It was just a matter of emailing 'yes' or 'no'. so quite simple.

We usually have our AGM in the village hall we use for winter indoor flying but that won't happen this year. As it's just a matter of officer's reports (chairman, secretary, treasurer) I guess they'll be emailed and we'll vote to accept them (or not0 I suppose. I certainly won't bother with a Zoom AGM. I'm not a technophobe just a technobored after a lifetime of learning new operating systems, programming languages etc plus I don't have a web cam Or even a decent so-called smart-phone for that matter.

Geoff

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 09/10/2020 01:01:55:

No need - Hon Sec keeps us all posted by email as and when necessary. Our Committee are all happy to serve another year without going through the election process, and there have been no objections from the membership. It's all very civilised.

Ditto my club. Keep it simple.

Most model flying clubs hold their AGM in December when halls are expensive and scarce due to Christmas. Also weather is poor then, so an AGM by Zoom may save money as well as effort. Could even reduce subs by about a pound per member ( one of my clubs with about 25 members paid 30 pounds for a hall when less than a dozen turned up )

The other advantage may be that with Zoom it's easier to control a herd of members all speaking at once!

So if it works this year then hall owners could expect clubs of all types to never book halls for AGMs again in future.

I am a member of a club which is widespread over the country (Netherlands), and even beyond (Belgium and Germany).

We held our last AGM's with MS Excel (cloud version). All the necessary documents (MoM of last AGM, agenda and financials) were published beforehand in a group private discussion on the Dutch forum.

It is a matter of preparation in such manner that all the items are already in the Excel workbook, and setting a time where everybody should attend. The online discussion was held with the Excel chatbox.

I must admit that the % of attendees was not great, but the principle worked.

Cheers,

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 09/10/2020 11:21:16

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 09/10/2020 01:01:55:

No need - Hon Sec keeps us all posted by email as and when necessary. Our Committee are all happy to serve another year without going through the election process, and there have been no objections from the membership. It's all very civilised.

Yes, same here. Besides, getting some of our club members to use Zoom would require the patience of a saint smile, and I doubt that a traditional meeting would be very well attended. We'll encourage feedback on any issues, publish officers reports and roll everything over for another 12 months.

Keeping things simple this year. No AGM and all committee members have unanimously agreed to carry on for another year.

Committee members will produce their officer's reports which will be emailed to our membership early December along with 2021 club fee details.

Membership renewal will also be paperless wherever possible.

There are potentially a number of benefits from a Zoom AGM meeting, as a one of.

• Firstly it is probable many more will get involved, not having to leave home.
  • Secondly if the meeting is productive it could encourage more people to attend a standard meeting.
  • Rather than those with specific interests being present, a more diverse base could be involved
  • Thirdly no refreshments need to be provided (there to encourage attendance). A cost saving
  • Paying mileage money is saved.

The downsides (potentially) are

• People do not get to know each other than with a face to face. This is a must to keep the officials of an area working together,
  • It is difficult to maintain an inclusive discussion, at times.
  • Those who actually make the BMFA work, may not be as involved as is usual.
  • The minuta of prosaic issues can more easily dominate the event. This bore the majority.

As a one of at these times Zoom must have a place. Perhaps for some area meetings, although the BMFA grant constitution would benefit from a revision to keep the grant system working effectively.

Posted by John Lee on 09/10/2020 17:01:03:

The BMFA's own AGM is via Zoom on 14 Nov, your Club Secretary should have been sent the details.

Spoke to him recently about this. He hadn’t heard anything. That might have changed since. I was just curious, that’s all.

That said, he sent out an e-mail to members recently inviting suggestions regarding our own AGM and last I heard, he had only had one response. Mine.

smiley