Grammar, punctuation, spelling

Tim Kearsley

Posted by Phil Green on 11/10/2020 12:14:36:

It bothers me a lot, but then I'm fascinated by language. Its not just on forums but elsewhere too, newpapers, magazines, TV schedules... I've even seen it in rolling TV credits!

Some forum posts are almost incomprehensible, usually caused by devices with prediction and substitution, but there's no excuse not to read your own post before clicking 'Add Posting'.

One of my pet hates is there/their, your/you're and Americanisms like 'regular' which is related to frequency, not size:
"Fish & chips please". "Regular?" "No, just this once please I'm only passing through..." smiley

Cheers

Phil

I assume you intended to type 'fora' and had a slip of the finger cheeky

However we low grade pedants have to accept that language changes. I had an article I wrote for RCMW back in 1999 corrected before it was published by changing my correct use of a gerund (verbal noun) pLus my name was omitted from the heading.

Geoff

Posted by Phil Green on 11/10/2020 14:42:41:

Hi Geoff, no, I meant forums, as per the current Oxford English Dictionary example of the plural of forum smiley

Here's an interesting piece on the desuetude of Latin plurals in contemporary English:

Edited By Phil Green on 11/10/2020 14:53:43

That is quite interesting, if you have a scientific, engineering, legal or medical background you are probably more likely to adhere to the Latin plural form, especially if you studied the subject at school.

On the subject of Latin in school, does anyone else recognise their Latin Master in the Centurion in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? I certainly do!

When I was at university, a friend of mine studied Latin at degree level. We wondered what sort of job you could get with a Latin degree. He walked into a job with a software company who were of the opinion that if you follow the rules of written Latin, learning a programming language would be easy.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 11/10/2020 15:24:42:

Hi Geoff, no, I meant forums, as per the current Oxford English Dictionary example of the plural of forum smiley

Here's an interesting piece on the desuetude of Latin plurals in contemporary English:

That is quite interesting, if you have a scientific, engineering, legal or medical background you are probably more likely to adhere to the Latin plural form, especially if you studied the subject at school.

On the subject of Latin in school, does anyone else recognise their Latin Master in the Centurion in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? I certainly do!

When I was at university, a friend of mine studied Latin at degree level. We wondered what sort of job you could get with a Latin degree. He walked into a job with a software company who were of the opinion that if you follow the rules of written Latin, learning a programming language would be easy.

Damn right I do! I went to the same school as a certain J Clease

Shaun, Please write out one hundred times, 'The Centurion was in 'The Life of Brian' '.wink

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 11/10/2020 16:56:50

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 11/10/2020 16:53:04:

Shaun, Please write out one hundred times, 'The Centurion was in 'The Life of Brian'. wink

AAAAAH! brain malfunction.

Mea culpa, mea culpa,mea maxima culpa!

Have to agree with some of the views here.

If it's a "professional" grade job; e.g. advertisements, flyers, journalism, I detest the superfluous apostrophes. Their entire business is built on the written word. They ought to have a good standard of grammar and punctuation.

I also can't abide the proliferation of "aircrafts" or the adding of "s" to words which remain unchanged as plurals. Perhaps a new one to annoy others: "myriad". Plenty misuse the word in myriad ways.

Having said that, on a forum, not all will be fluent in written English, so I let it slide.

I think that criticism of grammar is one of the standard stages of debate (?!) on most social media sites or forums. It usually precedes a torrent of expletives and finally a flurry of posts which sound similar to a Presidential debate.smiley

I think, like language in general, grammar continuously evolves. If it didn't, we would all be talking and writing 16th century Shakespearean English with its peculiar words and slightly different sentence structure. With that in mind, does that mean everybody's grammar is wrong nowadays ?

I do think however, that we have become sloppy, particularly with online content. Frequently there are words used in the wrong context, a lack of punctuation and incorrect use of words such as "their" and "there". No doubt I have just typed some examples of each (?) and will now be subjected to the remaining standard stages of posting.wink.

Oh and one final point : emojis are more powerful than language and defuse everything.

Posted by Doc Marten on 11/10/2020 09:56:15:
Posted by EarlyBird on 11/10/2020 08:39:06:

In order not to annoy those with a good command of English, because of their good education, I will stop posting.

I wonder how many people with less than perfect English have been put off joining this forum.

For some writing is easy but equally for some it is hard.

For those that find it hard you should be encouraging them by not be critical in any way.

Comments not aimed at a particular individual can still be received as offensive and have the potential to put people off joining this forum.

So, now that has annoyed some, can you be less critical and more encouraging please?

After all that is what you all do with regard to the quality of the builds on here, I have not seen one negative comment.

Cheers beer

Steve

Steve,

The idea of the 'Chit chat' section is so members can post non model related topics, that includes subjects that annoy them in general, the criticism of the standard of spelling and grammar is a regular subject both online and in conversation, having a sound grasp of it is not to do with someone having a good education.

Nobody on this forum is perfect in the use of their English, all of us can be criticised for it and all of us find some things easy and some things hard, however due to advances in IT there is a multitude of help, both auto and searchable to enable us use the language correctly.

I think you'll find by reading through the thread again that nobody is saying that a member with a poor grasp should not post, Martin earlier posted a perfect comment to sum up a given analogy that help is there if you want it. Anyone who chooses not to join a forum because they are offended by a general annoyance being voiced by others really should also avoid public places or cover their ears to protect their sensitivities.

The forum is stuffed with encouragement, you even state this in the closing sentence of your reply so why can we not also offer constructive criticism? Balance is another rapidly diminishing commodity which we once held with pride.

Whether you continue to post or not based purely on your own annoyance that members wish to discuss that the standard of language and grammar has become noticeably poorer and harder to understand is your choice but personally, I think it's an overreaction.

' having a sound grasp of it is not to do with someone having a good education.' So how do you acquire a sound grasp of it if not through education?

You seem to have missed my point. There are people who like me recognise that their English is poor and even though they could make worthwhile contributions to this forum do not. This thread is not going to encourage anyone with poor English to join in.

'I think you'll find by reading through the thread again that nobody is saying that a member with a poor grasp should not post, Martin earlier posted a perfect comment to sum up a given analogy that help is there if you want it. Anyone who chooses not to join a forum because they are offended by a general annoyance being voiced by others really should also avoid public places or cover their ears to protect their sensitivities.'

I did not say they should not post and are you accusing me of being over sensitive?

'Whether you continue to post or not based purely on your own annoyance that members wish to discuss that the standard of language and grammar has become noticeably poorer and harder to understand is your choice but personally, I think it's an overreaction.'

I am not annoyed, why do you think I am?

My understanding of this forum is to encourage and help with model flying and for me this thread is counter productive in that it has the potential to put people off from joining in.

Matt

'Have you ever criticised someone for their driving or parking? Of course you have, whether publicly or not. Should you not be more understanding of people who find driving and parking difficult?'

No I have not and yes I do understand people do have difficulties that make them less than perfect, which is why I do not criticise.

I did not say that it is wrong to criticise did I?

I never suggested that we should tread on eggshells.

This is not the right forum to be correcting peoples English.

One last point and I am sure I am not the only one, some replies to my posts make me feel that I am not allowed to comment, not only on this thread but other threads as well.

Cheers beer

Steve