CAA Operator Registration Renewal

Dane Crosby

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 16/10/2020 10:29:25:
Posted by Cuban8 on 16/10/2020 10:18:39:

Having seen this thread this morning I thought I'd better get my act together and log on to the Go Membership site and reacquaint myself with all the fun before (virtual) AGM season, club membership renewals and BMFA membership payments.

Firstly, mine and the majority of our club's members' £9 CAAs that I processed with last years subs via the BMFA portal are due to expire on 21st February 2021, a few late joiners I put through mid season with corresponding CAA expiry dates later in 2021.

So I suppose for 2021, I'll leave CAA to the individual members to renew themselves as they'll need their BMFA as of 1st January.

Unless I've missed or misunderstood something?

Might be worth watching this **LINK**

May be something useful there.

Answer re my CAA question can be found at 1:13:00 and from the last few minutes of the video. Thanks.

Posted by Jason-I on 16/10/2020 12:11:50:

No need to renew here. I took the stupid test last year to 'prove' I am competent, but I have not and will not pay the unjust 'toy airplane tax'. Cancelled my BMFA membership last year too as I didnt feel I got any benefit from continued membership.....

devil

RC model aircraft (of all types) can be considered "toys" in much the same way as motor bikes and jet skis. All of which have the potential to cause damage or personal injury. Following on from the drone incidents, the government realised that there was no legislation in place to protect anyone from these "flying toys". There now is and thanks to the efforts of the (unbeneficial) BMFA it is not as onerous as it could have been. Those of us with average intelligence realised some time ago that the purpose of the test was not to prove our competence, but to show that we were aware of the rules and had at least read them. Thus showing culapability, should an occurrence arise and ignorance of the law cannot be used in defence.

Can we leave this old chestnut now please and stick to the thread.

It seems to me that there is going to be a lot of confusion regarding renewals this year. I think sooner or later it might settle down, but my suggestion would be for anybody involved in the model aircraft hobby to register through the BMFA and anyone wanting to fly for commercial, or other purposes to register through the CAA.

It is perhaps also worth noting that commercial drone accidents are now included in the AAIB monthly accident reports which may have curbed some of the "I can make some money doing this" aspirations.

It is perhaps also worth noting that the AAIB have expressed concern, but with no recommendations so far, at the potential consequences of an uncontrolled descent of even a 5 kg object in any sort of public place.

Hi All,

That was really the point I tried to express earlier in this thread, and being a Law Abiding BMFA member of many years and doing the test ( to be covered by the insurance ) as I'm more a lone flyer these days, I'm with Jason on this one !! not much talk of Drones near airports as there is much less air traffic to disrupt

Could be saving £41.00 next year ?

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 16/10/2020 14:41:06

I'm sorry that I seem to have created an ordure storm.

Today I received a nice informative and apologetic email from the CAA Drone Team. the had an IT snag which they have fixed.

I retried my registration renewal and it went seamlessly. I keep my present OPR number until November next year.

Now with the excellent weather forecast for this weekend on the peninsula I'll be flying everything I own....... hopefully.

P.S. I will most definitely be staying with the BMFA whom have worked so tirelessly for us all dealing with this governmental knee-jerk.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 15/10/2020 21:51:47:
Posted by Dane Crosby on 15/10/2020 20:50:13:

I thought that I would obtain my new Operator number today as I will be flying on Saturday. I have now stuck my old number on to the machine but will no doubt have to peel it off and stick on a new one. This is due to information I have heard that the CAA may well change our operator numbers upon renewal. Ho Hum...............

If you renew before 1st Jan your number will stay the same for 1 more year, if your renew after 1st Jan it will be in the new format which will then be permanent.

Sigh. I don't suppose there was any explanation from the Campaign Against Aviation as to why they will change the ruddy format, was there, Andy?

Edited By John Bisset on 16/10/2020 16:02:10

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 16/10/2020 16:12:06:

Sigh. I don't suppose there was any explanation from the Campaign Against Aviation as to why they will change the ruddy format, was there, Andy?

Edited By John Bisset on 16/10/2020 16:02:10

After 1st Jan we are adopting the EASA format..

...though we may or may not be in EASA at that point, who knows...

• 2 months later...
Posted by Rich Griff on 30/12/2020 14:45:43:

Am I right in thinking that if you are a Bmfa member and have an A test pass for powered flight, you are covered ?

You are "covered" as far as competency is concerned, but you still need to register annually with the CAA. You can do the CAA registration via your BMFA membership, or direct with the CAA.

All explained by the BMFA here.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 30/12/2020 15:43:57

Was this through the BMFA?

There was a mass registration in February after the BMFA (and probably the other organisations?) was granted temporary exemptions for its members while systems were being set up. We paid the fee with our renewals from December - not sure whether the Feruary date will be repeated this year...Andy?