Is it A Motorcycle? Is it A Plane?

Dai Fledermaus

There are some clever people about I both admire and envy for their talent. This is one of them. There's also a nasty part of me that hates them for showing me up blush Not so sure about 'spoiling' a Velocette

There was a guy at RR, Derby who did similar things. He put 2 500cc Triumph twin engines in a frame to make a 1000cc transverse 4 and then topped it by melding a pair of Hillman Imp engines into a V 8! I saw the bike in the racks near where I left my pedal cycle but never actually met the man himself. The finish was never like this, though.

Geoff

I managed to have a brief chat with Allen at last year's open day at the National Motorcycle Museum. Such a nice bloke at not the least bit of "look what I can do" at all. One of those people that you feel that you've known for ages even after only a few minutes. Astonishing what can be achieved with relatively simple workshop equipment if one has the vision and skill. Such an inspiration.

I’ve just watched both videos of Allan Millyards’ bike and I’m amazed. Amazed at the concept of using two ex-radial engine cylinders and the sheer quality of his engineering work. The donor engine was a Pratt and Witney R1340 which was a 9 cylinder 600Hp radial of 22 litres so each cylinder would be just under 2 ½ litres. It was 5.75 inches bore and stroke, exactly square. Allen made his own con-rods and bottom end so he could have altered the stroke slightly. I’m surprised he could kick start a 5 litre engine even with a low compression of 6:1, he didn’t mention valve lifters. I knew someone once who had a BSA Gold Star, 500cc single which I think it had a valve lifter although the Goldie had a much higher CR. The detachable kick start lever and its stowage were really ingenious and I liked the wooden battery box and bulb horn. Incidentally the R1340 powered many aircraft including the AT6/Harvard. A fantastic project brilliantly done.

BSA Gold Stars certainly had a valve lifter and needed some care when kick starting. All 350cc plus singles had them. My 1953 BB34 (which was the first with a pivotted rear fork suspension) regularly kicked back if I had the throttle open a bit too much and I had an almost permanent limp I replaced the worn out Amal TT carb with a Monobloc eventually, which helped a lot.

Valve lifters were almost essential for trials as they made engine braking more efficient on steep descents as did decompressors on 2 strokes.

Geoff