Team Minimax

Peter Miller

I have now found a new model to design, the Team Minimax home built aircraft.

I started a google search for home built aircraft and found a mass of pictures for dozens of the Team Minimax. One colour scheme jumped out at me.

minimax4.jpg

Then I remembered that a Minimax had landed at a strip where we used to fly and I had pictures of that one and also all the 3 views and even some construction drawings.

That one was a the closed cockpit version.

I chose this one because the colour scheme is fabulous, well in my opinion, and I planned to have plug in wings which needed an open cockpit to fasten them.

The model is 1/6th scale 52" span,possibly 53 as this one has rounded wing tips.

I have cut oit all the formers and fuselage sides. also all the wing ribs.

dscf4673.jpg

The main U/C legs and the tubes for the wing mounting wires are bound and soldered to the formers

dscf4674.jpg

The wing tube is behind the former with the undercarriage legs.

The most vital operation is to make sure that the wings will plug into the fuselage so I did a dry run with the wires in the root ribs and the tubes pushed through the sides.

Great, they all line up and fit in a dry run.

dscf4675.jpg

Now I can build the fuselage. and wings.

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/11/2020 12:26:33

I know nothing about electric motors. I know quite a lot about i.c engines and what size of model for what size of engine. Been using them for the last 66 years!

When it comes to electric motors I phone George at 4 max

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/11/2020 17:42:47

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/11/2020 17:43:13

Got some more done now.

The wings are under construction.

THe basic wing follows my standard method.

dscf4676.jpg

Leading edge and top spars fitted,

The sheet over the trailing edge spar and aileron leading edge also done

dscf4679.jpg

Leading edge being clamped down. This leding edge box is very small so does not give quite as much anti warp effect as one with the spar further back.

dscf4678.jpg

The spar webs at the root are 1/32" ply on Both sodes of the spars as this where the 10 SWG wire wing joiners go.

dscf4683.jpgWell some progress has been made.

The wings are ready for their capstrips and a bit of sheet at the root. Note bearers for mounting the servo plates

The wires are glued into the ribs at the root withy epoxy. 1/32" ply webs are fitted each side of the spars in this area

Any bending loads are taken but the functional struts

dscf4684.jpg

The basic fuselage is made up

dscf4680.jpg

The servo mounts are glued in

dscf4681.jpg

The mount for the rear undercarriage legs have been fitted. There should not be any really heavy loads on this mount but I have made it as strong as possible. It is amazing just how much shock loading can be applied in a heavy landing.

dscf4682.jpg

Once again I have done an assembly check just to make sure everything fits well.

dscf4686.jpg

The wings will be held in place with small hooks screwed into those small block on the root rib and then either an elastic band or a spring between the hook pulling the wings in to the side.

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/11/2020 11:16:46

Quite a lot more done now.

The wings are ready for covering

dscf4694.jpg

The top of the fuselage is sheeted. Because of the curvature I have to cut thin Vees at the front. In effect taking the rolled sheet and cutting planks in the end.

dscf4695.jpg

The rear top deck has spruce stringers fitted and sheet between the stringers to support the head rest and covering

dscf4696.jpg

The cowl follows my normal method of construction

dscf4697.jpg

It is attached with screws into F-1 and keyhole slots in the rear cowl former (C-2)

dscf4698.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

minimax test 003.jpgWell today was flat calm and mild but cloudy.I looked at the forcast it is is going to turn horribly cold so I grabbed the chance to test fly the Team Minimax.

It is great. I took off on low rates and found that while it was rock steady and not a bit twitchy it was fuly aerobatic on low rates, Loops, rolls, envery spins, flick rolls. The lot.

No flying shots I am afraid because I was not with anyone used to my models and anyway the dark weather was not suitable for decent flying pictures.

I only had one flight as I found that the nylon clevises on the strut ends are not strong enough for a slight tumble on landing.Metal ones wil be fitted..

minimax test 002.jpg

minimax test 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, I have seen the technique of keyhole mount used before, other than on model planes , it is very effective.

Do you rely solely on the screws/bolts holding the cowel, or do you employ another form to make sure it stays in place?

Always enjoy reading your articles/posts

bas.