Team Minimax

Peter Miller

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well yesterday we had the best day for a year.  I got my flying shots of the Minimax and then went to full rates.

This model is fantastic.  I flew square loops, square horizontal eights. Avalanches, Flick rolls and then Lomcevacs with ease. In fact I did about 5 with no effort at all and it never tried to bite once.

The very low wing loading helps of course.

Minimax FLT 2.jpg

Minimax FLT4.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 19/04/2021 at 12:44, Graham Davies 3 said:

I can attest to it's wide envelope. The climb out was so gentle, it was like a very benign trainer. Until you unleashed the full rates. I can see this being the sort of model that is 1st on the list when planning a day's flying.

Sounds like an ideal second model as a follow on after a high wing trainer and an easy build for a novice. 

I have been searching the web and this looks like a 1500 Sport, the 1100 looks easier to build but very utilitarian. 

Peter where is the battery hatch?

1 minute ago, Peter Miller said:

The battery hatch is under the nose from the cowl joint back

I have started the build, by thinking and planning about it.?

Looks like it will be my first plan build as I can't find a laser cut plan pack.

Looking at the full size I could build one in my garage.

? I wonder if I could scale it up for a Saito FG21?

No not again you have learned not to mess with the design. ?

My curious nature compels me to experiment.

As  build without a pre-cut pack it is pretty simple.  All the ribs are basically the same.  The formers are pretty simple .Tail surfaces are built up from strip.  

Get a copy of the plans printed off, cut out the formers and glue them to the wood and cut them out.  A fret saw or better,a power scroll saw

Will make light work of that. Ribs, make a ply template with a strip of 1/4" sq wood as a grip with a a couple of map pins to make sure it can't slide ad cut out all the ribs 

You will be amazed at how much money cutting your own parts out will save.

• 1 year later...

Peter,  how did you make the connection between esc and motor? The leads from the 4 Max motor only go into the closed cowling where the esc is located. There is o access to get  your fingers into the space to make the connection. Maybe I’m reading something wrong? 
Thanks

Clive Devey

Well I don't know about your plan but on my drawing just under the motor mount location on F-1 there is a large oval hole.

On my model this hole is large enough to insert the ESC.  I connect the ESC to the motor and slide the ESC through this hole.  The connection through to the receiver while to connection to the battery goes up between the fuselage side and the battery platform.

I am pretty sure that there are not many ESCs of the size needed for this model that will not go through this hole

I have attached the PDF of my plan just in case the one in the magazine doesn't show this although I did proof the plan but I may have missed this pointMinimax Fus.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2023 at 08:18, Peter Miller said:

Well I don't know about your plan but on my drawing just under the motor mount location on F-1 there is a large oval hole.

On my model this hole is large enough to insert the ESC.  I connect the ESC to the motor and slide the ESC through this hole.  The connection through to the receiver while to connection to the battery goes up between the fuselage side and the battery platform.

I am pretty sure that there are not many ESCs of the size needed for this model that will not go through this hole

I have attached the PDF of my plan just in case the one in the magazine doesn't show this although I did proof the plan but I may have missed this pointMinimax Fus.pdf

Thanks for the pdf file Peter. I think my confusion is based on the photo in RCM&E where your motor wires are fed from the motor through the top small hole in F1, not the large oval hole. I don't think that an ESC would go through that hole?  The installation description also refers to the ESC being "fed through from the cockpit and sits on top of the battery platform". Sorry to be persistent but this may confuse others too?