Marutaka project

kevin b

5 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I quite like a bit of carve and sand. Very therapeutic.

I totally understand.

However, if you had spent a considerable part of your working life wet sanding. dry sanding and machine sanding you would find it difficult to appreciate the therapeutic aspect !

🙃

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually new and old balsa. Fortunately all of similar density, so not too bad.

Also fairly light.

Had somebody call to collect an ARTF I was selling on behalf of the club.

He saw the Hein and I nearly lost it before finishing the woodwork !

He wants to try out covering with laminating film, so that is another one going unfinished.

I like the Hein and have its big brother to build so that one I will probably be keeping.

Next posting should be of the finished woodwork as there is not a lot left to do.

Thanks Earlybird, and Ron I did like your 3 videos, also the other liens to RC groups, it looks like good stuff for a lot of jobs, funny thing is that I have some in the workshop that I use as masks for lettering my warbirds as cold it doesn't stick down to much and pull the paint off after spraying, I will do a test on it tomorrow,,,

On 20/08/2022 at 17:30, kevin b said:

He wants to try out covering with laminating film, so that is another one going unfinished.

Arrr but that means you have more time to re-engineer/update another of the gorgeous now defunct Marutaka kits 👍

• Like 1

Well I finished the sanding and all that was left to do was put the assemblies together.

I have enjoyed building this one and am looking forward to building its big brother (much later), as this is one of my favourite aeroplanes.

Time for a break now and to try and get some serious flying in !

The next one is going to be a twin, but not the one I was intending to build !

IMGP0852.JPG

IMGP0853.JPG

IMGP0858.JPG

• Like 3

I think you just about got them all David (So have I).

I will be building the Victor P68 next.

The reasoning being that it is a high wing twin and will be good for me to learn flying twins with.

So this one I will complete the build (and fly).

It will be electric powered.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Bet you're wondering where I've been ?

The answer is nowhere !

I decided to take a break and then life got busy (and the grass started growing in the garden).

Anyway I am now back working on the kits, though I have had to reconsider the overall plan as it is now becoming obvious that there isn't likely to be enough of "me" left to complete all of the projects I would like. What with over 40 kits (aeroplanes) plus boats, plans I would like to build from and ones to design (no plans available).

So I am going to concentrate on the ones I want to fly and those which people want to take on when I have done the woodwork.

Back to the Victor P-68.

This one is for me to use as a twin powered trainer.

As is usual (not just me !) the first day got off to a good start with lots of building getting done.

I had spent quite a bit of time figuring out the layout. The nacelles aren't quite big enough to get batteries in without a lot of rework and the nose steering is not accessible once the fuselage is constructed, so had to be built in early on. Fitting a big battery in the fuselage might also help with balance with it having a large tail and the motors are not far from the balance point.

Here are some pictures to show you.

IMGP0889.JPG

IMGP0894.JPG

IMGP0897.JPG

IMGP0900.JPG

IMGP0909.JPG

IMGP0893.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work with the fuselage still on the jig and decided to make a start on the wing while waiting for glue to dry.

Considering it is a twin it's a nice easy wing !

The nacelles are like power pods that can be interlocked after the wing is covered.

So far everything fits nicely so I am very pleased with my laser cutting files.

IMGP0929.JPG

IMGP0933.JPG

• Like 1