My Lidl Glider RC conversion no 6. The Lidl Biplane!

Bonzo Moon

Nice work, but why are the interplane struts so tall? Seems like they could have been 50% shorter and it might have looked a little more elegant. Also whilst the thrustline is obviously wrong it looked to me like it might be tail heavy too - I would be tempted to try a power off test glide over long grass to check itbefore trying another powered flight. Good luck!

Posted by MattyB on 24/11/2020 10:59:53:

Nice work, but why are the interplane struts so tall? Seems like they could have been 50% shorter and it might have looked a little more elegant. Also whilst the thrustline is obviously wrong it looked to me like it might be tail heavy too - I would be tempted to try a power off test glide over long grass to check itbefore trying another powered flight. Good luck!

Agree it looks tall but I Googled biplanes and it's suggested that the gap should be the same as the chord, which is what I went for. It's the same on the Flight Test foam board SE5 Biplane. Does look a bit ungainly though! Google said biplanes don't generate twice the lift of a single wing mostly because of the airflow between wings, hence it improves with a big gap!

From Google

Biplane Gap & Stagger

Abstracted by Mike Nassise

Gap and stagger are a pair of terms used to describe a biplane's layout which a modeler should well understand when building a multi-wing mode/- Editor. The gap on a biplane is the distance between the two wings. It is measured as the vertical distance between the chord lines of the two airfoils. All biplanes must, obviously, have a certain gap and, in general, this should be as large as possible. For satisfactory flight efficiency a minimum figure is usually stated as gap:' wing chord (or chord of the largest wing if these are of unequal size). There is no theoretical upper limit, but above a gap of about 1.5 the max chord, each wing acts as a single monoplane wing with no inter-wing interference.