Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

• 5 months later...

More flights last week. This flies so well, it has to be my best ever, a total surprise to me considering the size of the control surfaces. Even on high rates there are no problems. On reduced rates it's very easy to control, reminds me of a trainer. Enjoying this so much thanks for the design Peter.

9 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

In truth, we are only on our undercarriage a few seconds Steve

But those lightweight solid foam wheels on single wire, will do you no favours on landing on the hard stuff.

Any softer, pneumatic type tyred wheel will help you.

Brilliant build BTW.

IMG_20220421_213805.jpg

Thanks Denis ?

• 1 month later...

I have my Short kit and after a trip to Balsa Cabin I also have the strip wood for the wing. Also I have decided to do the mod that you did to lengthen the nose for the electric version. I'm going with a nice round 35mm (Not 32mm like you lot)....

I figured 35mm will give me a bit more wiggle room for battery size and CG.

swizzle stick.jpg

Edited by Keith Billinge
Very Old and forgetful

On 07/12/2020 at 14:25, EarlyBird said:

Sewn hinges?

I will have to go buy some needle and thread also I should have listened to my mum when she tried to teach me to sew. When I was at school girls did the sewing and the boys woodwork. How things have changed for the better.

Steve

As far as I am aware these days neither of them do either. Health and safety, and all that. That's why we have trouble finding young tradesmen (and women) (who speak English).

So much for the better.

Mind you back in the 1960's the lads thought woodwork useful for getting their pocket knives sharpened properly and the girls found knitting useful when they got pregnant.

At least they all learnt something at school !

:classic_wacko:

I will be using mylar hinges and I'm toying with changing the method of construction for the tail feathers and ailerons.

I'm not a fan of the stick construction method. I always break those in the hangar or getting suff in and out the car.
So, I might just do flat balsa surfaces with cross grain ends and nice big drilled holes for lightness.

On 05/06/2022 at 13:04, Keith Billinge said:

I'm not a fan of the stick construction method. I always break those in the hangar or getting suff in and out the car.

I appreciate your issue as I am the same. Adding tail weight will not be a problem with this model. I used hard balsa sticks for strength and on completion a 2200 3S battery balanced perfectly but only giving a five minute flight time. I am thinking of using a 3200 3S battery which will mean adding lead to the tail. I am thinking now that I should have made the tail feathers stronger and maybe even solid. More to think about, sorry.

Steve

THe tail was always pretty light. The trouble was the huge control surfaces. One could use mass balances which will cure flutter. by moving the control surface balance point to close to the hinge.

I remember the efforts they had to add lead to the nose of Twin Pioneer elevators to get the CG further forward in Aden.  But then we had a blinking nightmare with modifying  those things in Aden.

Hmmmmmmm?....... Now I'm really wondering whether to stick to the original plans for the elevator and ailerons.

My plan for this model is for it to be aerobatic, but I'm not interested in 3D and all that prophanging stuff. I'd like it to ba a long lasting fun model with forgiving characteristics.

I've found that wings with this style fat section will slow down nicely when you ease off the coals and wont get away from me, a pilot with somewhat limited experience.

Not sure I want a model that will flutter it's surfaces; that sounds scary!

Cheers

Keith B

17 minutes ago, Keith Billinge said:

Not sure I want a model that will flutter it's surfaces; that sounds scary!

Yes it scared me so I took advice from an aerobatic pilot who demonstrated by doing the maiden. Throws are very low rates and will still do tight loops and quick rolls. Full power straight and level gave no huge increase in speed and no sign of flutter. Yes ease off and it slows down very much like a trainer. Strengthening the control surfaces by using hard balsa and increasing the size of the spars will not cause any balance issues, and could help if using a battery larger than 2200 3S. Reducing the size of the control surfaces will not cause a problem just increase the throws, marginally. The only reason I left the surfaces as designed was because I liked the look. 

Now I find it a dream to fly. I have only been flying for four years, we can forget two of those, one day I hope to do a roll. So even with my lack of skill it is a dream to fly.

Steve

Bit more progress today. Finished the wing and wing seat.

Just got to do the empenage and the ailerons now.

Deliberately leaving the sheeting on the fuse until Im ready to fix the snakes and tail fixing.

I am toying with either a dowel or a long tab through the fuse to secure the vertical stabiliser in place.

You may be able to see my normal motor mount method; complete with rubber shock absorbing washers/standoffs that quiet down noisy models.

In my spares box I have two motors which may be suitable a 3536-1000kv (runs a 9 or 10 inch prop) or a 3536-1250kv (10 or 11 inch prop). Anyone know if these will be suitable?

Best Wishes

Keith B

1655157410161.jpg

1655157410141.jpg

1655157410147.jpg

1655157410156.jpg

• Like 1