Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

On 24/01/2021 at 20:25, EarlyBird said:

I have also been looking at a motor, ESC and propeller. In your article Peter you advise a .25 glow with 10x4 propeller, the low pitch intended to keep the speed down. My thoughts are a 3541 1250kv motor on 3S and 10x5 propeller, Simply because that's what 4-Max have.

Keith this is what I used and it works well. With 3536 motors a larger prop may be needed, diameter or pitch.

Steve

Okay then.

Looks like I'll start off with the 1250KV and a 10x5 or a 10x6 I think I have both a 50A and 60A ESC in the spares box so I'll spin it up with the Watt meter and see which one to go with.

Really loving this build and with  you guys to help me along it's great.......Many thanks

Keith B

1655220665062.jpg

Edited by Keith Billinge
spelling

17 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

In my spares box I have two motors which may be suitable a 3536-1000kv (runs a 9 or 10 inch prop) or a 3536-1250kv (10 or 11 inch prop). Anyone know if these will be suitable?

Looking good Keith.

I think you might have your prop sizes the wrong way round. 1000kv motor spins slower for the same voltage than the 1250kv motor so will need a larger (or higher pitch) prop. 1250kv on a 9x6 and 3S will sing nicely!

• Like 1

I get really coonfused with motors and props but I have used similar motors on similar sized models before the manufacturer shows a max of 500W on a 10x5 but doesn't specify if that's 4S or 3S. I'll be using 3S so probably less than 500W.

Keith B

Motor Specs.png

Edited by Keith Billinge

You're not alone Keith, it's a whole different set of criteria to glow, for sure.

The way to look at it is in RPM terms. 1000kv on 3s is (for all intents and purposes) 11000 rpm. A 1250kv motor is around 14000 rpm. If you try to spin a big prop faster, you need to put in a load more power. Often, more than the ESC can handle!

Have a look at ecalc here:

https://www.ecalc.ch/

Use the Prop Calculator

The free version is limited as to what motors you can select, but you can find something similar to what you use and then try different propellers. It will show you the electrical impact on your set up, and also the thrust, flight times etc. Pay a nominal fee and you get all the motors, props, batteries you'll need.

Graham

On 14/06/2022 at 17:08, Keith Billinge said:

the manufacturer shows a max of 500W on a 10x5 but doesn't specify if that's 4S or 3S. I'll be using 3S so probably less than 500W.

My motor is a 3541 1270kv with a 10x5. With your 3536 1250kv with a 10x5 the performance should be the same because the kv and prop are the same. ?

I am wondering what the Watts are at WOT and will be very interested in your Watt meter results.

Steve

• Like 1

I have a Turnigy 3536/6 which is used on a 10 x 5 APC Electric with a 3S2200 and draws 46 amps giving 462 watts.   But the flight times are quite short with the 3S2200( around 3minutes).  However the Swizzle Stick has some warning in the instructions about not using full power for long so the 10 x 5  might just give enough full throttle time on a 3S2200.  As it draws 46 amps it would need a 60 amp ESC.

With a 9 x 6 APC it draws 33 amps and much longer flight times but of course lower power at 350 watts   And it would only need a 40amp ESC.

A 10 x4.5 APC gives 402 watts at 37 amps and may be the best compromise.  Just about OK with a 40 amp ESC.    (  Keith - it's used like this on my 3.5 pound 'Rapido' model that I rarely fly, but I did fly it a few times some years back at Brocks Fm. It only gives about 4 minutes flight times with this model.    Maybe I will bring it to Ospreys on Wednesday!)

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Just chucked a battery and ESC inside with the surfaces taped in place to see about the placement of the Servos. It all feels like the CG is well within bounds as per the plan.

With Motor, prop, battery, ESC but no covering or servos, the airframe weighs in at 1165grams, or 2lbs 9oz. Not sure what the target weight should be for this model.

So far, I am really enjoying the build.

Cheers

KB

1655733573265.jpg

1655733573271.jpg

Edited by Keith Billinge
Editing
  • Like 1

Tadaaaa!

Model is now finished and with only the 2200 3s it balances right on the CG (just behind the spar) No extra lead needed yet.

I set up a 6Ch radio with 3 position switch for rates and another for Flaperons.

My rates go 100% with 35% expo. 75% with 30% Expo and  50% with 25% expo.

Having never tried flaperons before I thought the huge control surfaces and big movements might be a bit of fun to try them.

Final weight with a battery and ready to fly is 1350g (2lb 15oz)

This may be a bit on the porky side, but there was no soft or medium balsa to be had anywhere in Essex.

Here in Essex it's blowing a Hooley so no maiden until it all calms down.

My wife said the colour scheme makes her want a "Rocket Lolly" from the ice cream man.

A good fun build. I will report back.

Cheers

Keith B

Edited by Keith Billinge
daft

###########STOP PRESS#########

The maiden flight of the swizzle stick took place today in somewhat, blustery conditions.

Took off in mid-rates but very soon switched to low-rates (50% throws).

The model climbed out easily on 2/3 power with plenty of oomph from the 3536 1250kv motor and 10x5 prop.

The model had a tendancy to climb and needed a fair bit of down elevator trim to fly straight and level.

The CG seemed perfect and the big wing really is a joy.

A few loops and rolls as I felt confident enough to give them a go even on the maiden.

Then a couple of practice landing approaches and the plane was safe down in one piece.

An excellent model no other trim was needed.

I didn't test the stall or try the flaperons yet. The CG seems spot on as per the plan.

I didn't get any pictures unfortunately; but I will post som up soon.

Great build and great fun fly.

Keith B

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

###########STOP PRESS#########

The maiden flight of the swizzle stick took place today in somewhat, blustery conditions.

Took off in mid-rates but very soon switched to low-rates (50% throws).

The model climbed out easily on 2/3 power with plenty of oomph from the 3536 1250kv motor and 10x5 prop.

The model had a tendancy to climb and needed a fair bit of down elevator trim to fly straight and level.

The CG seemed perfect and the big wing really is a joy.

A few loops and rolls as I felt confident enough to give them a go even on the maiden.

Then a couple of practice landing approaches and the plane was safe down in one piece.

An excellent model no other trim was needed.

I didn't test the stall or try the flaperons yet. The CG seems spot on as per the plan.

I didn't get any pictures unfortunately; but I will post som up soon.

Great build and great fun fly.

Keith B

I am pleased that all went well on the maiden Keith and yes, an easy build and a joy to fly.

I also found that the size and being electric make it ideal for keeping made up then throwing on the back seat when going to fly at short notice.

Steve

• Like 1

I knew it would fly well!   It's very nicely built and it's a Peter Miller design - so it would fly well.

When I looked at the model yesterday at the field I thought it looked as though it may have had a touch of upthrust in the motor, so perhaps that could be why it climbed.  ( could be an optical illusion though )  Maybe a couple of washers under the motor mount might be a good thing?

• Like 1

Despite an incident where I bent the under carriage last week. (I discovered the stall speed about 3ft up as I was trying a landing).

I flew again today. Wow! It really does fly well.

I am having a bit of trouble with the castering tail wheel I installed, which means it won't taxi at all.

However, I few 2 or 3 batteries today and dabbled with mid rates.......Oh the rolls and loops are very entertaining!

It's a much better aeroplane than the pilot! Great fun!

Ran out of runway at one point today and took an excursion into the long grass. No damage and it was very funny.

One of my clubmates took some pictures and another a short video. I'll post them here if there's any interest.

If you have a hankering for a funfly look no further this is great fun and an easy build.

KB

• Like 1