Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

kc thinks that looks exactly like his drawing intended - and hopes it works!

Hingeing prevents the hatch from going missing but just putting a cocktail stick dowel into the front is easier. If using magnets then making the hatch slightly overlap the sides makes it possible to grip the hatch to overcome the strong magnets. Personally I often use a 'turnbuckle' to secure hatch - made from a cut off piece of servo arm pivoted on a tiny woodscrew with a thin leather washer to allow a stiff action. Crude but works well even with cold fingers on a winter day.

Edited By kc on 19/12/2020 13:23:56

I use one of those spring loaded nylon bolts and nylon hinges screwed to the hatch and the former or a strip of hardwood.

moon dancer const 020.jpg

I also use very strong Velcro 1 1/2" or 2" wide with super strong adhesive on the battery platform. First I apply epoxy to the platform and smooth on acetate sheet which will peel off after the epoxy has cured. Velcro from B&Q.

I also use a Velcro battery strap round the battery and platform.

Having had a battery drop out in flight I never want it to happen again.

Mind you, the model less battery did a perfect landing some 300 yards away in a field and two of my club mates went looking for the battery out in the ploughed field and found it.

I still don't want it to happen again.

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/12/2020 13:45:02

All good advice KC and Peter.

More bits glued on.

Wing bolt plate and scrap balsa sanded to shape.

img_20201219_190539778_hdr.jpg

Bottom plate for the undercarriage and hatch boxed out ready for ply frame.

img_20201219_190520733_hdr.jpg

Ply frame cut out ready for glue.

img_20201219_190609066_hdr.jpg

With hatch test fitted.

img_20201219_190730845_hdr.jpg

I will glue that tomorrow after some final checks and trimming no doubt.

What's left to do on the fuselage?

Servo mounting, snakes and decking hmm thinking anything else.

Today I ordered a jig from SLEC that will be used for the first time on The Ohmen fuselage yes

along with hard balsa spars, hard balsa they do have, well in the sizes I wanted.

When that comes I can start the wings unless I use 1/4x1/8 spruce. Another decision to be made.

Another good fun filled day smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

The fun continues this morning!

Hatch frame glued and sanded to fit the fuselage,

img_20201220_121038608.jpg

Snakes installed and top deck glued in place.

img_20201220_121051458_hdr.jpg

This is quick and easy!

It will not be ready for me to fly on Christmas day though sad

I will just have to fly my HK Crusader and my really old 50" stik, early 90s is my guess. I bought it second hand for my son to fly from my LMS Shermans, long gone as are so many others crying 2.

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by EarlyBird on 18/12/2020 06:55:50:

That makes sense Peter and from now on that is what I will do, too late to change on this build.

Formers added.

img_20201218_063819381_hdr.jpg

The half moon shape at the end of the doubler thoughtfully provided by Peter's design will greatly negate any lack of tapering so I don't think you need worry unduly.

Thanks Martin.

I am calling it a day!

img_20201220_190218050.jpg

What's left to do on the fuselage? servos to fit, tail skid plate and bottom sheeting then on to the tails surfaces and wings.

This has to be the easiest build ever. The wings are flat and built in one piece as you can see the fuselage is a box, no cowl and no canopy.

smiley

More fun tomorrow.

Cheers beer

Steve

Snakes and servo tray glued in.

Ribs test fitted the spars which required the slots to be filed down to fit. Then sanded to remove the laser charring.

img_20201222_195703361_hdr.jpg

Bottom fuselage sheeting was not fitted today because I had to find a plumber to repair a leak in the bathroom.sad

The good news is that the order I placed on Sunday was delivered today, well done SLEC, I now have all the balsa I need. smiley

I have decided not to make any promises about what I will do tomorrow that way there will be no more leaks. laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

Please stop cracking jokes, my side hurts when I laugh. Which does not happen often. laugh

Well it never happened until I joined this forum, a good tonic you are as well.

Thanks for being here.

Have you ever heard of HMAC because I think I met you there. Cold be a false memory of course.

Thanks Nigel.

This could make you think again about the good work. laugh

I was waiting for the SLEC delivery so that I could start this but it is made completely from balsa scrap. Why did I wait? don't ask me as I don't have a clue.

img_20201223_181456632.jpg

It will look fine when it is trimmed and sanded.

Next is the tailplane and elevator.

Cheers beer

Steve