Storing LiPos'

Hi

I have a new 3S 2200mAh 35c LiPo which was destined for a project. Due to unforseen health problems the project is now on hold. Using a capacity controller the LiPo cell readout is as follow...

Total Voltage 11.42. 36% capacity

Cell 1 - 3.806 Cell 2 - 3.805 Cell 3 - 3.809

The charger I have is an Overlander RC-D100v2

Can anyone offer some advice on long(ish) term storage. The battery currently resides in its supplied charged state in a LiPo safety charging bag.

How often should I check it?...charge it? Does it need cycling?

I am a newbie to LiPo technology and any and all help appreciated.

Robert

The common 'storage' level is 3,5 V per cell. Your charger has a facility to do this.

LiPo self discharge very slowly but it would be advisable to connect the LiPo for a storage charge check every 3 months.

If on connection the charger decides it doesn't need a top up it will tell you. If the LiPo does need some charge it will simply restore the LiPo to the correct storage level on each cell.

How long do you want to store it? A LiPo may loose a bit of capacity after a year or two at storage level.

A LiPo does not need cycling.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 05/12/2020 19:56:59

Opinions vary but I store mine in lipo safety bags inside metal cash boxes. In winter when frosts start I place the cash boxes on homemade 'warmers'. The warmers are metal biscuit tins (suitably earthed) with an 11W low energy bulb inside. A couple of small holes in the side of the tin allows light to escape so I know the bulbs are still working.

If temp outside is -6 degrees C inside the cash box is about 14 C, if outside gets up to +10 C then inside the cash box gets up to low twenties degrees. This has worked well over 3 winters without 'losing' any batteries.

I've got LiPos which are still flying my helis okay at 10 years old. They are stored in a well-ventilated unheated garage within a storage box made up of 1/2" plasterboard, usually at about 25% charge -- that's the charge they finished up at after the previous flight. If I'm not going to use them for a while I charge them up to something around 3.8v, as suggested by others, to avoid any risk of them self-discharging below a safe value.

• 8 months later...
On 05/12/2020 at 18:44, Robert Cracknell said:

Hi

I have a new 3S 2200mAh 35c LiPo which was destined for a project. Due to unforseen health problems the project is now on hold. Using a capacity controller the LiPo cell readout is as follow...

Total Voltage 11.42. 36% capacity

Cell 1 - 3.806 Cell 2 - 3.805 Cell 3 - 3.809

The charger I have is an Overlander RC-D100v2

Can anyone offer some advice on long(ish) term storage. The battery currently resides in its supplied charged state in a LiPo safety charging bag.

How often should I check it?...charge it? Does it need cycling?

I am a newbie to LiPo technology and any and all help appreciated.

There is some good advice in this thread, but my reference for all things lipo tends to be Battery University - I would recommend you read this article, it has lots of great info on the topic of storage and extending the lifespan of your lipos.

• 8 months later...

I think it should be don't charge them over night. Storage 3.8v. I keep mine in the small ammo boxes which I tend to line with plasterboard. Rather than drill holes in them I tend to leave the Box lid closed but unfastened. I must confess I have never used any kind of warming  they just live in my garage. However the boxes do not sit on the concrete floor but on cork tiles.

3 hours ago, malcolm woodcock 1 said:

My local model shop (Modelshopleeds) have advised me not to leave Li-pos charged overnight, what is the forums thought on this.

I think it's an excellent shop, but that isn't good advice at all.  Did they mean don't leave them charging overnight? That would be good advice.

5 hours ago, malcolm woodcock 1 said:

My local model shop (Modelshopleeds) have advised me not to leave Li-pos charged overnight, what is the forums thought on this.

Short answer - read the Battery University link above, it has everything you need to know about storage of lipos (there is lots more scientifically validated battery info on that site too).

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Edited by MattyB