frskt taranis no bootloader

iawnski

Have a read here for the v1 firmware, bootloader access wasn't added until Opentx v2. You need to install Zadig drivers and load the firmware using the Companion PC application. I think you need to bring it up to date in stages starting by updating to OpenTX 2, then OpenTX 3. It's a long time since I went through this as I updated as the new versions were published so sorry if I'm a bit vague about it!

No special lead needed, just a standard mini-USB to USB.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/12/2020 14:17:56

Doc, that link leads to a vid on updating the internal multiprotocol module in a Jumper transmitter. The OP asks about a Taranis from 2013 so that will be an FrSky Taranis X9D. A very different beast in terms of hardware and the Taranis doesn't have a multiprotocol module, just the internal iXJT board. The second post on the page that I linked to explains about the OpenTX v1 issue.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 06/12/2020 14:16:08:

Have a read here for the v1 firmware, bootloader access wasn't added until Opentx v2. You need to install Zadig drivers and load the firmware using the Companion PC application. I think you need to bring it up to date in stages starting by updating to OpenTX 2, then OpenTX 3. It's a long time since I went through this as I updated as the new versions were published so sorry if I'm a bit vague about it!

No special lead needed, just a standard mini-USB to USB.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/12/2020 14:17:56

Above is correct, you won't get a bootloader till the later Open TX versions so you must use zadig, Once you have a bootloader you can then put the new software on the SD card (rename the file to a short name, can't remember the max so keep it shortish)  put it in the Firmware folder (if not there then make one) and update from there.

That way won't update the bootloader though as the bootloader can't update whilst running but it can then be updated with the radio turned on normally if the new firmware is on the SD card, just select it long press and update bootloader. 

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 06/12/2020 17:05:36

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 06/12/2020 17:15:33

Posted by iawnski on 06/12/2020 17:11:48:

thanks for the help on this ,but wow its far to complicated for me,thanks for the input fantastic ,going to find someone who knows a lot more on this than me lol cheers again

Yes, sorry zadig is a pain but once on Open TX later versions you'll never ever need it again and then it gets a lot simpler.

Special cable mentioned is only for updating peripherals like RX's not for updating the TX itself.

• 7 months later...

Use the version of companion you require. Go through all the process then drop the new firm ware on the SD card, rename it to an 8 character name and keep the .BIN . Put the SD back in tx and fire up the radio. page through the Radio set up till you get to the SD card, move down to the name you save in the FIRMEARE folder hit enter and update the radio, the boot loader should be updated by the software you load.  Simple.