I am still struggling with my Laptop

Erfolg

Another problem

Initially I had issues with not being able to install Google on my Laptop. You guys solved this issue, which was down to the version Windows 10installed.

Now the problem is that I prefer Google Chrome to Bing. I did have Google as the preferred browser for a short time. Now it is has reverted to Bing. I do not know why, or how to refix it'

Please help again.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/12/2020 22:15:01:

Go into settings, apps, default apps, then click on web browser and select Chrome (Win 10 will ask you to stay on Bing but you can ignore that).

Another tip for future queries, is you can just type a question in the search bar and it will often point you to an answer.

ha, beat me to it

The problem seems to be deeper.

I had set Google as the default browser. This worked for a time.

Following the settings path, as you guys indicated, Google was supposedly the default browser. I reset Google as the default. Still Bing comes up.

Could the problem somehow be related to the start up process? I obviously have no real idea!

As Andy observes there may be some confusion between browser and search engine, sorry if that's not the case.

The Windows 10 default browser is Microsoft Edge (blue and turquoise icon) and it's default search engine is Bing.

The Chrome browser (red, yellow and green segments around blue centre icon) has to be downloaded, it's default search engine is Google. If, as I think you already have, installed this then my instructions as above should get you to the settings page where you can set it as default browser and choose Google as the search engine.

If, on the other hand, you are using Microsoft Edge, then to set defaults, click on the three dots to the right of the toolbar, select settings, then Privacy, Search and Services; this should bring you to a screen where you set preferences etc, scroll all the way to the bottom of this screen and you find "Address Bar and Search" click this and the next screen gives you the search engine options, click to open options in the box select Google and you're done. Close the tab and search away.

Hope that helps

Ian

I was wondering if it was browser or search engine we were discussing.

Ian has it right, but for simplicity if you use google chrome see the following images. Click the 3 dots in the top right, then hit settings (all ringed as well as the google chrome logo Ian mentioned)

google.jpg

Then hit the search engine button on the left (ringed) and you will get the page below pop up. You can change the search engine there.

google1.jpg

I have finally done it! That is setting the browser and search engine, whow!

Things seem to get harder, rather than easier, as the software develops. There was a time when you installed a program and that was it. No hidden settings, to divert you to some other application, or way of obstructing those not familiar with changes to the various interfaces.

I also am finding, how you used to use a product, changes with each new iteration.

I am of such an age where I just want to use a PC, I do not want to relearn anything, those days have passed, I no longer have the time, nor want the challenge.

It does strike me that the more powerful, flexibility many things become, the harder it is to actually achieve what yo wanted. What ever happened to Fuzzy Logic?

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys put in to get me here.

I have finally done it! That is setting the browser and search engine, whow!

Things seem to get harder, rather than easier, as the software develops. There was a time when you installed a program and that was it. No hidden settings, to divert you to some other application, or way of obstructing those not familiar with changes to the various interfaces.

I also am finding, how you used to use a product, changes with each new iteration.

I am of such an age where I just want to use a PC, I do not want to relearn anything, those days have passed, I no longer have the time, nor want the challenge.

It does strike me that the more powerful, flexibility many things become, the harder it is to actually achieve what yo wanted. What ever happened to Fuzzy Logic?

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys put in to get me here.

I have a Chromebook which I love, my second.

I have my old Windows Vista laptop which I use for photo editing and writing. and I have a very fancy HP laptop which has now got Chrome on it which I only use for searches and a few other things.

Of all the things on that one that I hate is the "patience section with the horrible noises and constant adverts.

Can one get rid of the adverts for games without paying for the privilege

I don't like that organisations can modify my laptop without my knowledge or permission. On three occasions now I have suddenly found Microsoft Edge installed on my Win 10 laptop and set as the default browser.

On two occasions when uninstalling I have been asked for a reason. I replied that I did not want it, request it or authorise it. Nothing changed. On the third occasion I used VERY offensive language in my reply. So far it seems to have worked!!

Posted by Robert Cracknell on 13/12/2020 00:53:52:

I don't like that organisations can modify my laptop without my knowledge or permission. On three occasions now I have suddenly found Microsoft Edge installed on my Win 10 laptop and set as the default browser.

On two occasions when uninstalling I have been asked for a reason. I replied that I did not want it, request it or authorise it. Nothing changed. On the third occasion I used VERY offensive language in my reply. So far it seems to have worked!!

I’ve used rather spicy language on the feedbacks. Boy does it relieve frustration. Why do these programmers think we know the product as well as they do....or even care. What’s wrong with a word in a box rather than some silly symbols? I ask you!

Posted by Robert Cracknell on 13/12/2020 00:53:52:

The obvious answer? Don't use Windows.

I've just done another replacement installation, from 8 minutes to boot now down to 27 seconds to boot and it will never get a virus and not be interfered by Microsoft and it works.

And it is FREE.