Mystic 64

Martyn K

Thanks Rich - appreciated.

Mystic 64 day 23. not much done this morning as grand child minding duties lasted until mid afternoon.
I did get in the shed for a couple of hours later this afternoon though.

A brief dry assembly to check that the wing sits square and true

fb_img_1609273229008.jpg

And

fb_img_1609273231888.jpg

Next job was to fit the le dowel and captive T nuts. Wing drilled for 2 x m4 steel mounting bolts. Checked it was still straight and true and then made a start on the underwing fairing. A bit of trimming needed on the Kit pieces so I'll have to adjust the DXF files accordingly.

fb_img_1609273234481.jpg

My model won't have a tuned pipe so the underwing area will be boxed in. That will save the task of planking the pipe tunnel.

Probably won't get much done tomorrow as it's my son's birthday.

More to come

Martyn

Thanks both

Apparently, the Illusion f3a of the same era has a very similar canopy so I have one of those on order to evaluate. If its no good then it looks like we will have to make a plug.

No pipe on this one John. We have a bit of a noise problem at our local field and it has been deemed that the exhaust note from a tuned pipe is too harsh, despite the model meeting the 82dbA noise limit requirement. It's the reason why I shrunk the plan from 68 inches to use a standard sport engine. Os55ax has been selected but I think almost any 61 sized modern schneurle ported sport engine that will turn a 12x8 or 11x9 at 10k should be ok

Martyn,

I'm looking at putting together a DupliStar scaled down to 63" span and the canopy from an Acrowot looks to be a very close match. Having recently refurbished my 34 year old Acrowot with a brand new replacement canopy from Sussex, I took a plaster mould from it so I can now vacform one for the new project.

Given that some of Hanno's development models have some close similarities it may be that the Acrowot canopy would be OK if the illusion one doesn't suit.

I also took a mould from my old DSM Joker canopy and successfully reproduced for a refurb.

final trimmed canopy smoked.jpg

Cheers Andy

I never really thought about the Awot. However, I don't think it will be long enough although the shape looks OK.

It really needs to be about 335l x 85h x 90w. I may get away with slightly shorter - say 300mm but I can see this is going to be a challenge

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the offer Andy but I have already downloaded all the ones that suit me and keep them on my computer and backed up on CD too. My enquiry was rather theoretical and was prompted by your comment about facebook.

Previously the Trenton NJ site was the home of many aerobatic plans and this disappeared suddenly, so i was worried the same might have happened again here.

KC,

I remember the Trenton website and I wish I'd got a back-up copy of it before it went.

On the Facebook thing, It was strange because when I went back to look a day or so after I made the comment, the UKCAA FB page suddenly had all the images available again and not greyed out either. Also I noticed the extra comments added were also not available for a while but now are.

Andy.

PS the UKCAA website is now back on line as of a few seconds ago.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 19/01/2021 19:18:27

Apologies all

For some reason, I have not been receiving notifications for this thread.

Working from the top. the fuselage and belly have been glassed and I am sanding down get ready for primer. Unfortunately, I have to paint outdoors and its been far too cold this past few days. This Saturday coming is looking slightly better though, fingers crossed for no snow or frost and I'll get the hi build primer on.

The FB site is 'Open' which means that non FB users should be able to see all the content PROVIDING posters set the privacy of their posts to public. Most do but its something outside my control.

The UKCAA site went down for a couple of days, maybe longer. This was caused by a change in DNS that I wasn't notified about. once fixed, it takes about half a day for the change to propagate. Its all OK now and I am sorry for the loss of service..

On Mystic I am finalising the last version of the plan ready for release. There are still a couple of drawing errors that don't match what I built and that has caused me to be a bit perplexed (or tearing my hair out!).

I'll now try and fix the notifications on this....

Best wishes

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see another Mystic. Your Mystic is looking good. 

I've been flying a EZ Mystic 90 for awhile. Superb, quite quick smooth flyer, it will hold knife edge all day long, amazing flick rolls. 

I'm powering mine with a YS70FZ and a short Hatori muffler. Prettner mechanical retracts. 

Inside the fuselage it's date stamped from the factory 8.8.92 

If there's one down side, it comes in quick on landing. 

IMG_20200527_112828.jpg

IMG_20200528_114157.jpg

IMG_20200527_112857.jpg

• Like 1