New from Multiplex - Lentus 3m Glider

No problem. It can happen without you realising it, a good example is the cockpit, the canopy acts like a greenhouse when the sun shines and the temp in the cockpit goes up and up causing the foam in the cockpit to gator. Drilling a hole in the canopy does help but not as good as throwing a towel over it!

I got my Lentus yesterday and I'm very happy with it. A couple of pics after checking everything for fit. Not yet flown as I need to change the connector on the ESC, install Rx and set up on the Tx.

Definitely thinking of adding a fixed wheel. And a pilot would look nice too.

l1.jpg

l3.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 04/02/2021 08:21:34

• 1 month later...

Mine's been put back into it's box until I finish off a few other projects. Also, I've yet to decide whether to go for the Mpx retractable wheel, a fixed wheel or no wheel at all. I believe you have the Mpx retractable unit fitted David and would be keen to hear how well it works.

However, a clubmate maidened his yesterday and it looked and performed very impressively; from gentle, slow gliding to some low level high G manouevres. He had everything set up per the manual and didn't have to add a touch of trim anywhere.

Good luck with the maiden David; I'm sure you'll report back once the deed is done.

Edited by Steve Colman

All went well. Not much wind, 8-10mph with occasional passing thermals which it caught easily enough. I had to use the motor to recover height a few times. Thermal turns are nice and tight with little discernible height loss. Positive on ailerons and predictable too. The control surface settings in the manual work well. A very pleasant flying model, a bit like a larger Heron I suppose. 

The only 'moment' came when the canopy detached in flight. You know what those MPX latches are like, some work better than others. I landed easily enough before the walk to retrieve it. Used a 3S 4000mAh LiPo but I think a little more weight in the nose wouldn't do any harm )especially as I had put the ball weight in the tail during construction) so I'll use a larger pack next time.  

IMG_4141.jpeg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Flying and a view like that, not jealous in the slightest. ?

I am green with envy. 

For me being able to read about others flying again gives me a huge lift, optimism and a huge grin has returned. ?

More of the same please.?

• 2 weeks later...

DFA71725-7F72-4D23-BCF6-E9BB7DDFFC74_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aa948a0e72d2ec24541b1cca1fbc0258.jpegMaidened the Lentus today. I should have paid more attention to your post David as my canopy also detached in flight. Fortunately easily recovered and a bit of tape was used on subsequent flights. I'll see if I can add some magnets before the next outing.

Flies really nicely with a lovely sit in the air. My CG came out spot on with no tail weight & a 3300MAh 3S battery. It used about 20% capacity for each 10 min flight with minimal thermaling so shows good efficiency. Slightly embarrassing that despite the hours I spent setting it up I had mixed up elevator with crow, rather than down. With that sorted & just a few clicks of trim it was a delight.

I was surprised at how effective the 'speed' setting is. I found on my Heron & FunRay that it had minimal effect & I never used it, but on the Lentus it really gets a move on & greatly improves penetration.

Happy bunny.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Capt Kremen said:

Is the clear canopy of a better plastic than the one(s) that come with the 'Solius/Heron'?

Breath on them and they 'stress' crack!

(On my second replacement now, not counting the one that cracked in the post on the way from the model shop).

The canopy of the Lentus is made from much softer plastic than those of the Solius/Heron so should be much more durable and remain crack free.

8 minutes ago, John Lee said:

Whoops!

It's 50mm x 1.6mm, Mark.

Multiplex list it as a spare but I can't find a UK vendor from a quick search. https://www.multiplex-rc.de/produkte/1-00817-o-ring-o50mm-uv-stabil-fuer-54mm-spinner If you find a suitable equivalent could you let us know here as it looks like it will be a consumable item. 

Thank you. I stupidly didn’t think it would be listed as a spare in the manual. 
ive ordered one from fleabay but it’s 50 x 3.55 so don’t know if it will fit