Spektrum Rx Servo Slots

Tosh McCaber

I have a Spektrum AR9020 RX. The Rx came as part of my DX9 package. All the servo slots have wedge shaped, presumably polarity, guards, which are a real pain. It means having to chisel wedges off the edges of my servos- quite difficult. Almost as bad, if not worse than Futaba!

Do all the Spektrums have similar slots? Fortunately, my (very reliable and cheaper) Orange Rxs have plain rectangular slots.

Hi,

I just carefully dress the end of the servo plug or extension lead plug with a needle file to help it into the TX, bit of a pain but I don't think they will ever fall out!

Considering I don't swap RX's between models I don't think its an issue although interestingly the new RX's don't seem to have this feature..

Like the guys said Tosh, just a second or two scrape along the edge of the servo plug helps a lot with using other brands of servos and extension leads. A little less butchery than required for Futaba plugs. For me the bigger issue is always denoting which is the signal, negative and positive pins.

Posted by leccyflyer on 19/12/2020 20:19:46:

Like the guys said Tosh, just a second or two scrape along the edge of the servo plug helps a lot with using other brands of servos and extension leads. A little less butchery than required for Futaba plugs. For me the bigger issue is always denoting which is the signal, negative and positive pins.

THIS might help

THIS as well

Posted by leccyflyer on 19/12/2020 23:32:00:

I've no problem with which servo lead is positive, negative and signal - it's the markings, or lack of, on so many receiver cases.

Apologies, misunderstood the question. After looking through some Spektrum photos, they do put a very small legend on the box but you really need good eye sight to see it

ae2189ad-594a-4e49-a8d0-bf6b36b2b04a.jpeg

The pin legend is just below BND/DAT.

It appears there might be a market for small self adhesive labels to pop on your receivers with just s + - printed on them to help those of us who need our reading glasses to actually make out the tiny lettering on some receivers. It's not really a problem when you're doing something at home but down at the field is a different matter altogether.

Posted by David Davis 2 on 20/12/2020 07:48:32:

I've found that the negative wire always goes to the pin on the outside of the receiver case on both Spektrum and Futaba receivers.

That would be good if it were correct, but Cymaz's pictures of the AR8000 and AR410 show that isn't the case - they are the opposite way around.

rex7.jpgrex3.jpgNot sure about the AR9020 RX, but some of the Spektrum receivers I have (early ones) have a very tight pin spacing and some servo plugs are difficult to squeeze in.

Jeti and Multiplex are a couple of examples of how it should be done. Most MPX receivers are set up to accept Futaba plugs as standard so no need to trim the plugs.

mpx7.jpg

Posted by leccyflyer on 20/12/2020 08:26:05:

I've found that the negative wire always goes to the pin on the outside of the receiver case on both Spektrum and Futaba receivers.

That would be good if it were correct, but Cymaz's pictures of the AR8000 and AR410 show that isn't the case - they are the opposite way around.

Just going by the pictures....I'm not a spektrum user. I plead ignorance!!

Posted by Denis Watkins on 20/12/2020 10:13:37:

They do, as the negative is a common line of track on the outer perimeter of the pcb board

I think the point being mades was that with an "end pin" type Rx, both the negative and the signal pins are next to the outside of the case!

Dick

Thx for the ongoing discussion. Like Frank, I think that the slots on the Spektrum AR9200 seem very tight, as well as having larger wedges than the new Spektrum Rxs, like the AR410 in the picture above.

I've chiselled the flanges of Futaba plugs before, with no trouble, but these are a different matter- maybe have to buy some (overpriced) Spektrum servos!!

Thx Leccy,

My pal Norrie suggested that I go out and buy a bunch of Spektrum bare plugs, pull out the pins from the existing plugs on the servos that I intend to use, and substitute the Spektrum plugs for them. However, knowing me, I'm feart and would probably make a hash of it!

See you on the field after, or before New Year?

Posted by leccyflyer on 20/12/2020 08:26:05:

I don't think they are.