Flite Test Spitfire

Daren Cogdon

That's great Daren, super editing and nice flying...just missed the photo with Pinky and the moon behind it 😉

Club member flew his his last nigh (his son did the maiden it but did not like it), his never showed a dropping wing on launch, but we did let it spool up to 100% throttle before release and he had far to much travel as it was super lively!

The rise of foamboard continues...

Looks like this is a contender for the Sunday winter mass build as what could be better that one spit...half a dozen 🤣 

• Like 1

Well, I have number 4 on the go at the moment!  I've also been trying to drum up interest on the Flite Test forum to do another Spitfire Group Build.

I have both my FT Spits set up the same way, control-wise (although they also have matching electronics!).  50% on ailerons and elevator seems plenty, but I haven't got brave enough to fully ring them out yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually do love this thing!  

I took Pinky up to the airfield tonight, as it was near-perfect conditions up there.  Attempted a few loops and a roll, and this (for me) rather daring flyby.....

....and then the prop fell off!  Luckily I still had some height, so I actually managed to land, almost literally, back at base.  

Pinky flyby.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow.  Can't believe it's been a month since I did any work with any of the FT Spitfires!  

I changed my mind about the latest colour scheme.  Since I started reading the book First Light by Geoffrey Wellum, I've decided to finish my model in his markings, so it should end up looking something like this....

1409372-large.jpg

1428161-large.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So, it's been a heck of a long time since I updated this thread with progress on my FT Spitfire.

Long story short, I don't think it's a worthy enough project to carry Geoff Wellum's colours, so I went for a simpler scheme, inspired by the film First of the Few, which depicts an aircraft playing the prototype Spitfire K5054 being test flown by David Niven's character, Geoffrey Crisp.

(The film is in black and white, so the Spitfire appears a light grey - so it's a guess as to which colour the plane actually is!)

342725605_242253791806524_242808136772829860_n.jpg

344738975_547827077545694_7305138757839831335_n.jpg

• 5 months later...