Flite Test Spitfire

Daren Cogdon

• 2 weeks later...

So, I eventually decided to build the whole thing from scratch again!  Here's a photo of the current progress.

The fuselage is made up from 5mm Westfoam for the sides, and 3mm for the formers, with thin card covering the upper sections. Wings are 3mm, with 5mm for the spars. The tail parts are 3mm. I'll install the servos etc later on this week, with any luck.

277587079_10159840367818149_9176131966555016349_n.jpg

• Like 2

So, my plan is to test-fly the beast before I paint it.  Providing it makes it back in one piece after those initial test flights, I plan on giving it a generic RAF paint scheme so that it looks presentable, but practical.

I'm interested to know what paints people have used in order to decorate their Spits?  I've got some stuff that I had mixed up at B&Q for my last Spitfire, but I think this was too heavy for it.

1045911-large.jpg

Edited by Daren Cogdon
Pic for attention!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2022 at 12:34, Daren Cogdon said:

Cheers for that.  

I noticed that, on the SBK, it states a minimum of 810kv.  The motor I used in my first one was 1000, and was nowhere near gutsy enough to do anything more than straight and level flight.

Just noticed this, so I may be a bit late to the party.  The kv is not an indication of power.  It's just a measure of unloaded rpm/volt.  The power is a function of the prop you fit and the current drawn from the battery (and its voltage).  A 1000 kv may spin at 12,000 rpm with a 3S LiPo (approx 12 v fully charged)  which is quite good with a 12x6 prop.  Note, figures are approximate and probably over simplified.  In fact, higher powered motors generally have a low kv to allow for higher voltage batteries and bigger props.

One of the most important motor specifications is the continuous current draw - going over that for any length of time lets the magic smoke out ?

• Like 2

Hmm.  That is something I wasn't actually aware of.  

That said, since my Spitfire is of a similar construction to Dad_flyer's version, and I'm anticipating the weight coming in perhaps a bit lighter, I went with the motor/prop combo he mentioned to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Daren,

I sand the maker foam paper with 400 grit wet or dry to get rid of the waxy surface and use paint testers from B&Q straight on to the surface. I also wrap the leading edge with printer paper or similar back about 1" using thinned PVA, this stops the covering lifting off the foam, if it is a straight taper wing like the Me110 I go back to a panel line on the wing. 

• Like 1

I'll bear that in mind for when I build my kit version (since it's the maker foam version, not the original).

Anyway, here's the finished paint job.  I still need to put on the fin flashes.  Like I keep telling myself, this one is meant to be practical, not pretty....

280670090_10159913966073149_6426871927671085513_n.jpg

280659454_10159913965648149_3142059878307805683_n.jpg

280660215_10159913965423149_1732889415413276751_n.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty good there. You will need to get the CG forward to the plan position or it is a handful. I hot glued weight inside the cardboard cowl to over the motor. Stiffens up the cardboard and gets the weight forward. That was enough until I made it even more tail heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

Flite Test Spitfires breed like rabbits around here....! 

Haven't got to fly the camouflaged Spit yet due to the weather, but hoping that will change soon!  Had to remove the spinner as it was off-balance when I ran the motor.

The white airframe (empty) weighs in around 353g.  The camo version is 858g fully loaded.

Spitfires.jpg

Edited by Daren Cogdon
  • Like 1