Battery advice please

Lee Morton

Hi everyone, I have a carbon cub 2 which I run on a standard 2200mah 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo 30C which came with the plane. Was wanting to upgrade the battery to something with a little more flight time. I’m quite new to the hobby so any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Posted by Lee Morton on 29/12/2020 08:43:50:

Hi everyone, I have a carbon cub 2 which I run on a standard 2200mah 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo 30C which came with the plane. Was wanting to upgrade the battery to something with a little more flight time. I’m quite new to the hobby so any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance.

A 3s 3000 would be a step up. You don't have to have a Horizon Smart battery unless you want the voltage monitoring function. The important thing is to make sure that it fits in the battery compartment. You will also need to check the centre of gravity as the battery will probably be heavier. 

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 29/12/2020 09:51:27

Lee

Just remember the battery makes up a significant proportion of the plane's weight so a bigger battery makes the whole plane significantly heavier and that needs more power as it has to fly a bit faster to stay in the air.

This means you won't see an increased flight time in direct proportion to the increased battery capacity. At some point an increased weight will actually make it harder to fly successfully.

In general the 'recommended' battery has been chosen to give the best all round compromise however you may find find a bigger battery better suits how you want to fly you Cub.

No harm in experimenting but it pays to be aware of the limitations.

How about these? have more capacity and smaller than most 2200mah batteries. also 30c, but when I had them in my F27q delta even at full throttle, the battery was still cold and have almost 10 mins of flight time. Normal 2200's would be puffed up and hot at 6 mins.

superlipo.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 29/12/2020 11:12:04

As others have suggested, the original 2200mAh size LiPo is probably the optimal pack for this model. Small, incremental increases in flight time may be achieved by:

(a) Perhaps obvious but often overlooked, careful throttle management i.e. not flying at full power all the time!

(b) Exchanging any heavier items such as main wheels for lighter items or a tail wheel similarly so 'dead weight' balance nose weight may be removed, all to lighten the aircraft. A lighter airframe needs less power for the same results.

(c) Experiment, within the margins suitable for the motor, with different prop sizes/pitch. Even trying props of the same size but from a different brand can make a significant difference.

(d) Balance the prop. An unbalanced one is inefficient as well as likely causing increased wear on the motor bearings.

All the above may only on their own add seconds to your flight duration but do six, ten second gains and that's another useful minute in the air.