DX8 Warranty message ????

tigerman

I don't think updating via sd card is bad. What I do think is bad is how some cars are now being made with heated seats throughout but you have to pay to use them (BMW). To me that crosses a line. I'm buying a car, it has bits, but I'm not allowed to use it without paying extra? Software functionality is one thing but inhibiting hardware?

Though I can see it happening in r/c Tx has 16 channels and you just pay for the channels you need.

Posted by Geoff S on 03/01/2021 16:27:29:

For me, OpenTX would be a big plus . Just had a quick look at some Radiomaster images and the colour screen images look very like the ones on my Horus X10.

The price at Bangood (they were most prominent on the Duckduckgo search) range from £82 through £124 to £189. I think th difference between £82 and £124 is Hall effect sensors on the joysticks. Not sure what you get extra for the £189 version. I assume all are multiprotocol but I haven't studied deeply.

Certainly looks a good deal for lobsters

btw How can Frsky QX7 be ageing? They've only been out for a short time. My Mutiplex 3030 35Mhz transmitter might just about qualify as old but a QX7? Perhaps my age has distorted my view

Geoff

The £189 I would guess includes a receiver whereas the the others are just for a Tx.

Edited By John Wagg on 03/01/2021 18:52:30

I've had a look in greater depth and the X16S certainly seems to be an excellent radio. I'm very impressed. However my Horus x10 is also a great radio and it's new (well 2 years old ) and I love it. It fits on my transmitter tray as well.

I'd certainly consider one if I was looking to replace the Horus. One thing that does appeal is the multiprotocol aspect. Will it work with (for instance) E Flite models which usually need a Spektrum radio to use the A3xR (?) stabilised receivers. I understand they can be difficult if you don't have exactly the right transmitter.

Geoff

Geoff

I can only think that Spectrum AS3X receivers will be accommodated by the TX16S the only thing I had to remember was Spectrum and Frsky are different channel order . My S6R receivers bound and can be controlled by LUA scripts to be stabilised with mode switch and level control so the Speccy ones should be because you actually program the receiver itself through a PC or smart phone . Don't think its an issue , my only concern is it must have stabilisation off on a switch . Some off the Gen 2 spectrums tx have an AS3X page which allows gain and mode control but thats easily replicated in Open TX . I know we should be aware of " To good to be true" but if its got a downside I've not found it yet with the TX16S .

Great I finally sorted out my DX 8 now there are no 8 channel Spektrum receiver anywhere in the UK ,and I will not trust buying one on E Bay .most are fake and the price is almost double the price in the model shop, when they are in stock .My model will have to wait untill I can get an 8 Spektrum 8 channel receiver crying

Posted by tigerman on 03/01/2021 23:13:42:

Great I finally sorted out my DX 8 now there are no 8 channel Spektrum receiver anywhere in the UK ,and I will not trust buying one on E Bay .most are fake and the price is almost double the price in the model shop, when they are in stock .My model will have to wait untill I can get an 8 Spektrum 8 channel receiver crying

Webbies has the 8 channel Spektrum receiver with telemetry in stock -it's only £4 more expensive than the non-telemetry 8 channel receiver. Any use?

Servoshop

Thanks leccyflyer but I really was looking for the Spektrum AR8010T receiver and they are out off stock every where in the UK including Webbies .Not a massive problem because we are in Tier 4 and I know you can go flying but I think we are pushing the boundary to the limit on this and it looks like there will be no flying soon untill April .So it looks like I have plenty off time for the 8010t to come back in stock .But thanks again

Brian, again forgive my ignorance re this TX. You are using phrases like 'Open TX', and others. You are also saying you have to do this and that!!!!.

It reads that you cant just 'Plug and go' like a Spektrum. or any other system.

Perhaps you could tell us more , in everyday languge.

Many thanks Bas

Posted by Nigel R on 04/01/2021 11:13:21:

Any OpenTx transmitter is going to require some set up. If you want 'plug and go' then Spektrum (despite the naysayers) does it very well.

tigerman I think that's the right choice, the newer 8020T looks better than the 8010T for a few reasons.

I'm not sure how you can describe Spektrum as "Plug and Go". It still needs all new models to be programmed into the transmitter and set up to suit the required control surface configuration, throws and direction of travel. It also needs to be bound to the receiver and range tested before "going" anywhere.

OpenTX based transmitters have a built in wizard which makes programming of new models just as simple as Spektrum. The logic used for OpenTX programming beyond the initial setup wizard is certainly different to Spektrum and other menu driven transmitters, but I'm not sure whether it is any more difficult.

I'm not defending or promoting either brand, but saying that Spectum are "Plug and Go" is not right.

Sorry for late reply Basil been a bit busy . Open Tx is the operating system for the transmitter much like Windows on your PC and it works on several different manufacturers transmitters Frsky , Jumper Radiomaster etc . It is as easy as Spectrum for straightforward radio setup using the wizards but some of the clever bits can difficult to work out . Spectrum must be a little off putting to someone coming to it first time especially if your looking for a menu driven setup , its like Linux to Windows 10 does the same but gets there in a different way and as with Linux its usually upgraded with new features being open source . Best idea is view some of the YouTube vids to see how its done and to remember being a common operating system its the same regardless of platform .

Must admit I've never bothered with any of the set-up Wizards in OpenTX. I just make a copy of an existing, similar, model, then rename it, change the picture and the RX number. I set all the throws to maximum etc and then adjust as I set up the new model.

That way, all my programmed options for motor disable and timers etc are the same for all my models. If I need anything a bit different I modify from there.

It really is very easy and it's the way I used to set up models on my Multiplex 3030 35Mhz transmitter.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 04/01/2021 19:58:52:

Must admit I've never bothered with any of the set-up Wizards in OpenTX. I just make a copy of an existing, similar, model, then rename it, change the picture and the RX number. I set all the throws to maximum etc and then adjust as I set up the new model.

That way, all my programmed options for motor disable and timers etc are the same for all my models. If I need anything a bit different I modify from there.

It really is very easy and it's the way I used to set up models on my Multiplex 3030 35Mhz transmitter.

Geoff

That's a logical way of doing it Geoff all you have to do then is make adjustments rather than set up from scratch. You can apply settings to all models by using "Global Settings" these apply to the settings in the radio rather than just for the model so things like engine cut and timers are applied to every model you add.

Me too Geoff. To be honest, I do the same with my JR system too.

The point is though, how do you create your FIRST model when you don't have a working example to follow? The answer is, you use the wizard and then tweak it to suit your preference. This is where you learn how it all works.

Gary, By plug and go I maen just that. Just turn it on and its ready. The models would have been set etc One assumes that would be the same for what you are presribing. So you dont do a range check with this TX.

What I was really trying to find out was, that from what was said in earlier posts, it seems as though you need other items maybe such as a computer or such like.You mentioned using a wizard, is the wizard built into the TX?

I could go on

Regards Barry

A search of youtube would answer many of your questions Basil, a 20 minute video is worth unlimited pages of posts, search for "Painless360" as a start point. You can do everything on the Tx except flashing firmware and updates, you need a computer for that and if you choose to use OpenTx Companion where you can update firmware and try out mixes and switch functions before you commit them to the radio but it's it's not essential.

Guide to OpenTx

Basil, the only way you're going to get that is if you buy a RTF model which includes the transmitter.

With any separate transmitter you will have to make some adjustments to suit the model even if it's only servo reverse. Even if you don't want to adjust the control throws with the transmitter you may well have to do so on the model by adjusting the mechanical links between the servo and surface.

You must always do a range check even with an RTF model because otherwise you wouldn't know if it was working as intended. RC models of all types are complex devices which require some user input and understanding to operate. You wouldn't buy a car having never used one before and expect to be able to use it safely without some training and guidance.

And yes, the wizards are built into the transmitter. Even with sophisticated transmitters you don't absolutely have to have a computer if you don't wish either to update the software/firmware or save your model data. I do most of my model setups on the transmitter rather than use OpenTx Companion. Even with earlier transmitters I probably spend at least a couple of hours setting up the model before a test flight.

Aeromodelling is a hobby/pastime that attracts practical enthusiasts. That's its appeal even for those whose main interest is flying over building. A lot., like me, are 50:50 and enjoy building as much as flying.

Geoff

"Why is it that a significant number of transmitter topics that have nothing to do with OpenTx or the radios that use it end up as discussions of the merits or otherwise of OpenTx?"

I guess the same reasons that BMFA renewal end up as endless quotes referring to CAA and EASA.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 05/01/2021 12:38:02