Chinese electronics - any alternative?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 05/01/2021 12:37:23:
Posted by Steve J on 05/01/2021 12:25:12:

Savox servos are made in Taiwan which you may or may not regard as being 'China'.

I can't imagine anyone from Taiwan regarding themselves as Chinese!

But the government of the PRC certainly do regard Taiwan as part of their territory.

Savox servos are made in Taiwan which you may or may not regard as being 'China'.

Trouble is that PRC regard Taiwan as a renegade state that they would much prefer to be 'reunited' with the mainland.

If you're sick of worrying about climate change, Covid, The EU, drone registration or sundry other issues and need a change of focus, then China / Taiwan with its far reaching effects is a nice little problem waiting to come to the boil.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/01/2021 13:56:12

Posted by Bill_B on 05/01/2021 14:05:08:

Why limit your scope for an ideal? It’s akin to cutting off your nose to spite the face and achieves nothing.

Rubbish!

If we had the same attitude to S.Africa and apartheid things would probably still be the same.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 05/01/2021 14:26:22

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 05/01/2021 13:04:10:

But the government of the PRC certainly do regard Taiwan as part of their territory.

I thought it was the other way around? To begin with, at least.

Posted by Nigel R on 05/01/2021 17:42:18:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 05/01/2021 13:04:10:

I thought it was the other way around? To begin with, at least.

I agree Nigel, confusing isn't it? I should have said that the ethnic Chinese population of Taiwan probably do not regard themselves as living in China bearing in mind that they have their own democratically elected government, their own currency, passports and no formal relations with Beijing as far as I am aware. So going back to the OP, when you buy your Savox or Hitec servos they probably come from Taiwan not China.

Phew! You have to be so careful on this forum don't you? angel

I am very wary with components marked " made in ,..........." . As they are often still made in china for the other companies.

I recently bought a replacement door lock assembly for my " made in England " car . The defective part I removed had a label stuck on it " made in Germany" . The replacement had made in china on it . Both parts were otherwise identical. I stripped the defective lock out and it had Chinese parts in it ! So was probably made in china in the first place for a German company who supply a British company ! Its Globalisation and is price driven .

Non-Chinese?

Plenty.

I tend to use Hacker, Lehner, Plettenberg, and AXI electric motors, Kontronik electric motors and ESCs, OS glows (though not all are made in Japan), Schubeler, Wemo, and Jetfan EDF fan units, Multiplex radio, which is at least 'assembled' in Gerrnany. I've got a whole lot of the 'proper' Multiplex genuine German servos too, with nice machined brass gears,

Note1 - In English 'motor' and 'engine' are interchangeable so neither imply electric or IC.

Note2 - Is non-Chinese stuff better? Not necessarily. But in critical applications, such as EDF motors and fans it often is, though the Chinese HET electric motors are also very good.

Lipos? I was a very 'early adopter' of lipos and the only make then available was Thunder Power. I have mostly stuck with them ever since. They are 'assembled' in Las Vegas but where the individual cells come from I have no idea. There aren't many lipo cell manufacturers.

Price of all this non-Chinese stuff? I don't much care as I have never considered model planes as an effective method of saving for my old age. And I like to remain 'loyal' to the originators.