Looking for first kit build

Joshua Bailey

Hello everyone,

Looking to build my first balsa wood glider with the help of my father over the third lockdown and was looking if anybody had any recomendations on a good kit to start me off with. I have a few pointers from the old man so was hoping to stick with something like that:

- About 5-6ft, approx £50-75 but can stretch if its worth it, laser cut balsa wood.

I had found a few I like the look of but he thinks id be better with something slightly smaller, so was hoping someone here would be able to point me somewhere in the right direction.

The kits I had found and rather liked the look of were the Sonata 3in1 from balsacabin and RBC RES eagle. I also love this 80s/90s style RC plane, but overall these kits seemed pretty well suiting apart from the length - if anybody has anything more suitable I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you all

Posted by Nigel R on 05/01/2021 13:36:39:

Similar...

https://www.slecuk.com/coyote-glider-1320mm-52quot-span

Thank you for your suggestion but I am afraid I am looking for something without the propellors on the front, a slope glider I believe?

Edited By Joshua Bailey on 05/01/2021 14:00:34

Posted by Joshua Bailey on 05/01/2021 14:00:21:

Similar...

Thank you for your suggestion but I am afraid I am looking for something without the propellors on the front, a slope glider I believe?

In the description it says that it can be built as a glider OR electric powered wink

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 05/01/2021 14:17:18:
Posted by Joshua Bailey on 05/01/2021 14:00:21:

Similar...

In the description it says that it can be built as a glider OR electric powered wink

Ah yes my bad sorry. I think this looks quite nice then i must say

The problem is a shortage of balsa because it's bought up by the Chinese probably for wind turbine blades. Should be new supplies to UK soon, until then most kit makers are biding their time ( see the comments on their websites ) You may find kits at retailers if you are lucky.

Steve Webb Hobbies (Servo Shop) seem to have the Chris Foss Middle Phase kit in stock at the moment

Phoenix Model products also have some kits available .

Edited By kc on 05/01/2021 15:19:04

Edited By kc on 05/01/2021 15:23:30

+1 for Phoenix Model Products (= PMP).

The CNC cutting is excellent, balsa, ply and sundry items equally so and the kit plans and instructions are crystal clear.

Stan Yeo, (proprietor of PMP), always goes the extra mile and if you get stuck or need advice, I'm sure he will oblige. PMP also stock all the items you may need such as glue, model pins and covering etc. (I have no commercial interest in PMP just a very, very satisfied customer over many years).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you haven't already gone for something get a Chris Foss Phase 6, it's a great build and you get a perfect flying glider at the end of it. It was also my first kit build! I think you can pick the kit up for about 90 quid now, all wood included and pre sheeted foam core wings 

Edited by Jack Petrie