NGH 38 review Feb. 2021

Martin  McIntosh

Surprised to see that this has been reviewed again. I bought one on the strength of the original glowing report by Brian Winch. JE and HK were offering them at vastly differing prices but the HK one had no silencer, and this is what I bought, assuming that the motors were otherwise identical.

Beautiful to look at but the worst rubbish I have ever had in terms of motors. Compression was zero to start with but even on a 16x6 prop it would only reach 6000 rpm. After 1 1/2 tanks it was stripped to reveal a piston crown resembling the lunar surface and the camshaft had worn away and started to break up.

Took this up with HK and got an instant refund which suggests that mine was not the only one to suffer these faults.

576058.jpg

Buyer beware.

• Sad 1

Glad to hear that you got a good one. Shame about my example because it would have been ideal for the intended model which is rather over powered with a noisy 50cc two stroke. They have been on the market for quite a while now and there is little to choose from for a petrol four stroke in that size/price range.

My four stroke petrol is sixteen years old, never fails to start, has never stopped unless out of fuel, is subject to all sorts of user abuse and has only required a new carb diaphragm in thousands of hours running in my garden and elsewhere.

You've probably guessed that I refer to the Briggs and Stratton in my lawn mower, so although we're not comparing like with like in terms of size and weight, it is possible to build a reliable smallish mass produced F/S petrol engine if you know what you're doing.

Just to clarify the photo Martin posted its a shot i took of the cam from his engine. He loaned me the engine to test vs my prototype efforts at the time and the first thing i did was peek inside. As you can see, i found that the cam followers had eaten through the hardening on the cam and started taking chunks out of the lobes. I informed Martin and returned the carcass so he could do battle with HK. The moonscape piston crown was also a shock!

Various customers have told me over the years of their experiences and it seems you either get a good one or a bad one. Clearly RCME can only test with their sample size of one so any review can only be based upon that testing. I might have to buy the latest edition and give it a read.

It was me who reviewed it and I bought it based on feedback on here, including Martins, several months before doing the review . The review isn't a detailed engine review but more a practical users experience. Due to Covid (and broken undercarriage!) I've only managed a dozen flights with it, but it seems to be getting even better.

The Privateer btw is a cracking model, would have been even better if I'd keep the weight down a bit wink

And yes I will be in the queue for a Laser petrol when they are released to compliment my Laser 61,62,75,150 and 200v glows.

Posted by bert baker on 08/01/2021 19:38:17:

Use less the review engine has been used for a year or so longevity is a unknown

It's also a sample of one.

I bought an ASP91 FS many years ago (over 10) and the conrod let go within about 3 flights, it was repaired under warranty and it's given sterling service ever since, been in a least 3 models and is currently powering my CAP Jungmeister. Valve springs also failed on my Laser 61 when it was only a few years old (probably over 20 years ago!), I got replacements direct from Neil Tidey, it's still on them and powering my Flair Fokker DVII.

In the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't make any difference where an engine was purchased from. . The manufacturers won't have separate production lines for different retail outlets, with some lines better than others.

No... the components are made, the engines are built, they are boxed up, and they are shipped out. . We, as consumers, can only hope - or maybe expect - that the manufacturers maintain a suitably high level of quality control from start to finish.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 09/01/2021 01:35:01:

In the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't make any difference where an engine was purchased from. . The manufacturers won't have separate production lines for different retail outlets, with some lines better than others.

No... the components are made, the engines are built, they are boxed up, and they are shipped out. . We, as consumers, can only hope - or maybe expect - that the manufacturers maintain a suitably high level of quality control from start to finish.

And not forgetting that our contract is with the retailer, who should have the interests of their customers in mind before bringing less than acceptable products to market.

Your're on your own then Brian, if your engine has been languishing for a few years unused - as I found to my cost and frustration (written off model and sixty quid in engine spares) when my now excellent ASP 120FS suffered a failed crank pin after under an hour's running from new. Out of warranty because I'd bought it early on in a lengthy build that got delayed, as often happens.

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/01/2021 10:22:43

There are several threads on RC Groups and RC Universe regarding this engine. Many different experiences posted and whilst it is widely reported as 'no ball of fire' a common issue seems to be the quality of assembly. Particularly, incorrect valve and ignition timing being blamed on 'no compression out of the box', also, 'no valve clearance' and no evidence of the cam shaft being oiled at the factory. This should be lubricated prior to being started for the first time. Several posters have reported better starting and running by retarding the ignition and valve timing without loss of performance. Some have reported better results using 1:20 ratio for breaking in and 1:25 for running (using synthetic not mineral oil).

Martin's experience seems to be the worst I have read.

I am planning to run mine but I will check the valve clearances, oil the cams and check the timing. Might make no difference at all but it will be an interesting experiment at any rate. I will report further.

Incidentally do you think it would be suitable for a Flair Hannibal apart from being a bit heavy? I have seen them powered by a variety of engines from an OS 120FS to a 26cc 2 stroke.