Flying with Spectacles

I use varifocals and, touch wood, have had no significant issues to date. It is apparent from the various posts here that whilst there are general groupings i.e. long sighted, short sighted etc., there are multiple permutations in between. As we and our eyes age, changes will occur so what may have been fine in ones 30s, less so or not at all in 60s and so on.

I have used small, independent opticians as well as the high street chains, (the latter I understand are often franchises). Good and bad in both, just have to hope the optician is one of the better ones wherever you go!

I could not help noticing how many people have the same problem as me (including my age).

I needed single vision specs for long distance for many years. Gradually my eyes deteriorated to the point where I could not longer read with my distance specs as my arms were not long enough. For work I was required to go on a couple of day release courses per year. I found the solution to my problem was to use old specs when I attended courses. I was a bit fuzzy at distance but I could read and write OK.

Then I went on a day release course in a large hotel in Manchester. At lunchtime I went out for the rather splendid meal they serve up in these hotels. I sat next to some guy and said to him, "Where have you come from?" He replied, "Bristol". I said, "I'm sure you could have got a course closer to home than Manchester". He said, "I was giving the lecture". For a moment I thought of giving him the explanation about the glasses. But I didn't bother. He probably thought 'they are not a very attentive bunch here'.

That was when I started with varifocals. I got the first pair from a small optician and later went to Vision Express. I noticed there was a difference especially when I looked down at my feet. There are certainly different grades of varifocals. The better ones are more expensive.

It is worth persisting for the benefit in the long run.

A mate of mine is a clay pigeon shooter and he gave me set of shooting glasses.there are 4 lenses, pinkyred,grey, yellow and a very pale yellow, I must say that they sharpen up the sky noticeably, the pinkyred ones do take about 10 minutes to get accustomed to though.if you don't need corrected vision to fly I would recommend a set.