First the Lidl Vulcan maiden, now the maiden all foamboard version - it was FAST!

Bonzo Moon

Hopefully you've seen my Lidl + foamboard Vulcan maiden, now here's the maiden of the all foamboard Vulcan that inspired my Lidl version.
It flew really well, very fast, not slow and easy like my Lidl based one.

Plans and the build blog article for this are linked below. 2 sheets of foamboard. Easy to build in an evening.

The article about the original foamboard Vulcan with motor spec etc. is here **LINK** full plan here **LINK**

tiled plans here **LINK**

Bonzo, suitably fired with enthusiasm, I am going to make one of these.

So far, I cannot find A1 sheets of 6mm board only 5mm. Where did you get yours from?.

I have found the same motor etc. was it powerful enough or would it be worth getting something bigger?

Great lockdown project, thanks for the idea!

Hi mate, Hobbycraft. 4 sheets A2 for a tenner . Only needs 2 sheets. And I use a glue gun. Mine was Amazon I think about a fiver.

Download tiled plans stick them together with clear tape , mark up board and cut out!

Seems like they may still be open despite lockdown. My local one says open Tuesday?

Hobbycraft

re the motor, well and truly big enough!  Very quick full chat, OK at half throttle. I'm using a 3 blade 5045 Dalprop

Props

Mine was slightly scaled down, I didn't realise till after I'd built it that my printer had scaled down the pages.  I found out when I measured and found the slot I'd cut for the the prop they suggested wasn't big enough!  

Mine is 28 inches span, design span 29 3/4 inches.

The 3 blade is great with it. They say use 7 x 4.  I think the 35 amp ESC is overkill too. 

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 21:49:57

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 21:52:29

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 21:54:34

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 22:08:29

Tell me more about e calc please!

Got it, Googled. I think I may have used it years ago when I converted an IC Wot 4 to electric. Useful, thanks for reminding me of it.

I've just glued together one of these with another 2 sheets of spare foamboard. 

RM 1 Supersonic Russian fighter

Not using the motor they suggest, very expensive, I think I've found another suitable one. I'll have to see what e calc says!

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 22:20:29

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 11/01/2021 22:21:43

Thanks for the info about e calc, I looked at the site and couldn't figure how to get answer, the subscription explains it.

Re battery: I used a 3s 1300 mA and current draw full throttle was 160 watts which I think IV=W means 13 amps, so would mean 6 mins max flat out. It was a bit too quick for me flat out but cruised well at half throttle so I reckon you'd expect 10 mins mixed flying?

edit:

I just checked on my raw video and I flew just over 2 mins and the Lipo was at 11.9v afterwards.  85%  so you should easily get 10 mins + mixed flying.

I guess you could go bigger battery, but bigger means more weight of course.

My servos are placed further back than they show and so my battery had to go further forward. If you went bigger than my 1300 mA you'd need to put the battery out on the nose I think.

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 12/01/2021 10:59:07

Mine came out at 28" span as well, tried upping the print to 110% but things started to get out of line!

So it looks like the default is 28".

There are a few inaccuracies on the plan, but nothing drastic.

I purchased A1 sheets, so can make the fus in one section.

Been thinking about launching................should be fun!.

So far...so good!

Just started cutting out the plan, and as I am getting A1 foamboard, I am hoping to make the base of the fuz in one piece.

Bit of juggling with the plan as one wing is longer than the other!.

Found some 1350 33c lipos which should do the job.

Everything else I have either got or its on its way from Banggood!.

Hi mate

Sorry mate but there is actually no such thing as a pusher prop! wink As long as a prop is mounted with the size info on the hub of the prop facing the direction of flight a prop doesn't care if it's in front pulling a plane, or mounted mid or behind pushing it. It is still 'pulling' the air towards it and causing thrust whether pulling or pushing a model.

RC Groups discussion here!

I used a 3 bladed 6045 Gemfan.

Put up some video of the maiden! smiley

• 2 weeks later...