Seagull Models

Dave S.

Yesterday, I ordered a Seagull Models Chipmunk from Al's - and today I received a picture and video from my daughter of the outside of the Seagull factory in Ho Chi Minh city, where she currently lives and works (the city, not the factory).

They could have been shown around but the boss wasn't there, so it didn't happen, unfortunately.

Good timing as she has lived in Vietnam for the last three years, and happened to be driving past Seagull for the first time yesterday.

Seagull Models

Edited By Dave S. on 17/01/2021 11:10:48

There are several videos on YouTube filmed inside the Seagull Models factory. I won't bother putting the links on here, as there are a number of them. Just search for 'seagull models factory tour'.

I had one of their Harmon Rocket ARTFs, which was OK until I lost it flying too low & too slow in a downwind turn.

I've subsequently bought one of their Sea Eagle F3A type models, which turned out much heavier than their spec suggests - over 6lb, rather than the 5lb mentioned in the instructions. Flies OK, but comes in like a bullet on landing, so it's reserved for windier days.

I've seen some of the factory videos - in fact sent one to my daughter just this morning. She said it looked very Vietnamese.

Looking forward to the Chippy, years ago I made a start on the RM plans Chipmunk but life got in the way after building the tail surfaces, a few years later I built the wing for the Apache aviation version, but things got broken in a house move - so this will be my third attempt at a 1/5 Chipmunk and hopefully this one will make it into the air. I will probably use a petrol engine in this one, I had a DHC Beaver with an MVVS petrol some years ago and it was a joy to operate, easy starting and very reliable.

Seagull make excellent models and at a good price too, however they have gone up in recent years.

They have good fit & finish.. The wood selection is good, all covered with quality Oracover (except for a basic trainer).

I had their ic version Pilatus PC-9 Roulette. It's a beautiful 40 size sports model. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a low wing aerobatic scale model which has no vices. I will get another one someday.