Advice on which receivers and other components needed when starting with FrSky

robk

Hi Everyone

I have been playing with OpenTX on my computer think I can get along with it (using Spektrum currently) and now want to buy some hardware. I believe that all the transmitters use the same software and features, but what other kit should I buy to get started? I am planning to buy two receivers and use one in a full house glider and the other in a power aircraft - one 8 channel and one 6 channel should do it. Also, should I buy one of the cheaper transmitters or go for something a bit more expensive? I would like to try a tray type transmitter eventually but I understand the current FrSky model is out of date so I am happy to go with a normal one for now.

Any advice welcome.

Hi started with the original teranis then moved on to frsky horus x12s and used a tray for both. The 12s has a lot better build feel about it and I am happy with it.

If you go to the open tx site here you will see the current radios supported. so you can see.

I always fly with a tray and have made them in the past if a affordable one is not available .

As for which radio they are all quite good, but you must consider do you want a colour screen or not ,price and do you want/can see that you need the new functions and lockedin archer (access) offers

If i was to by one now I go for a radionmaster T16s then the horus (teranis x9d plus 2019 is still good)

As for a tray you can get one that fits your choice from here and don't forget a crossed shoulder strap/harness to go with.

As for rx the glider go for G-rx8 with its virio to play with and any of the others 6/8 channel for the power

Edited By flight1 on 21/01/2021 23:09:26

Posted by robk on 21/01/2021 22:20:18:

I have been playing with OpenTX on my computer think I can get along with it (using Spektrum currently) and now want to buy some hardware. I believe that all the transmitters use the same software and features, but what other kit should I buy to get started? I am planning to buy two receivers and use one in a full house glider and the other in a power aircraft - one 8 channel and one 6 channel should do it. Also, should I buy one of the cheaper transmitters or go for something a bit more expensive? I would like to try a tray type transmitter eventually but I understand the current FrSky model is out of date so I am happy to go with a normal one for now.

Any advice welcome.

As a Frsky user of ~8-9 years (multiple conversion modules + an early X9D Taranis) I would suggest you consider the following...

• Decide whether you want the new features that ACCESS provides. If you fly a lot of gliders with skinny fuselages and tight installations there is a clear value to OTA updates and touch free binding, otherwise you may not be bothered. Decide this first before thinking about which TX to buy.
  • Be aware of what is happening with Frsky right now before you leap. Their new X20 and X24 TXs to be released in the coming months (if they are to be believed) will only transmit in ACCST D16 mode and ACCESS, and it sounds like the module bay will be limited in the aftermarket modules it will accept.
  • The X20/24 TXs will also not run OpenTX, at least not at launch. Instead they are going with a new proprietary firmware called ETHOS (not their previous iteration FrOS which was a huge flop when released with the Horus radios; almost all buyers moved their TXs to OpenTX within days of purchase as FrOS was poorly implemented and lacked functionality compared by OTX). At this point we have no idea how good that will be, but they do have the lead OpenTX dev Bertrand working on the team so it seems likely to be related in concept at least.
  • If you do want a Frsky TX make try and hold one first if you can, especially if you are considering the X10 or X7 - they are marmite TXs in terms of shape and feel. The Original Taranis and X9 Lite are more conventional in shape and can (IMO) be bought without that step.
  • Whilst Frsky remains good value compared to the historical big brands, it is no longer the steal it once was in the days of the D8 protocol and first Taranis - they are clearly looking to move upmarket and "lock" people in to defend against the threat posed by the cheaper multiprotocol radios from Radiomaster, Jumper etc. As a result the future for ACCST protocol looks uncertain at this point, though there are so many well proven aftermarket reverse engineered RXs no that it should never be a problem to get receivers if you need them.
  • In recent years Frsky's reputations for kit that "just works" has been sullied by a large number of buggy products that have effectively been beta tested on early adopters. Examples of his include the early redundancy buses that crashed numerous planes, G-RX8 receivers with drifting varios and other issues, and of course the uncommanded servo bug in ACCST v1 which was "fixed" by a v2 protocol for which RX firmware was released that in many cases was riven with bugs. These issues have not helped their reputation in the last few years, and I for one would never buy a newly released Frsky product at this point until it has been on the market for at least 6 months.

My recommendation? If you just want to dabble with Frsky and OpenTX and see if you like it get an X7 or Radiomaster TX16S and a couple of RXs - they are cheap enough to buy as an experiment, and if you don't like them you can resell and go in another direction. I personally would not buy one of the more expensive ACCESS Frsky TXs at this point until I'd seen how the X20/24 shape up, and what their firmware is like in terms of functionality and usability - they could be great, but might be awful. We also need answers from Frsky re: what that module bay will drive in terms of aftermarket options...

Edited By MattyB on 22/01/2021 11:34:16

Thanks everyone - thats very useful information and so quick too. MattyB, thats a great analysis of the options. I have now had a look at the Radiomaster and that seems a good option with good reviews, sliders and touch screen coming soon. Two questions though... What receivers would you uses with that? Also, I have seen you can get a TBS crossfire version and there are receivers with that name. What doe this mean?

Posted by robk on 22/01/2021 12:59:46:

Thanks everyone - thats very useful information and so quick too. MattyB, thats a great analysis of the options. I have now had a look at the Radiomaster and that seems a good option with good reviews, sliders and touch screen coming soon. Two questions though... What receivers would you uses with that?

Any receiver that can be connected to the MPM is fine - the full list is here. That includes Frsky D8 and D16 ACCST, Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX, Futaba FHSS.... there are lots of choices. I would probably suggest you start with a Frsky D16 capable receiver so you have temetry capability, be that an OEM version like the G-RX8 vario, X6R, X8R etc, or one of the reverse engineered Radiomaster versions that run Frsky D16.

Posted by robk on 22/01/2021 12:59:46:

Also, I have seen you can get a TBS crossfire version and there are receivers with that name. What does this mean?

It means it just comes with an additional TBS 868 MHz long range module to go in the JR slot in the back. Unless you are interested in FPV at extended range (which in this and most countries isn't legal anyway) it won't be necessary; just use the internal 2.4 GHz MPM.

Edited By MattyB on 22/01/2021 15:44:52

I know that this is not a place to put ads on but I have an original X9D, some X8 and D8 Rxs and a programmer. Just cannot get on with it although the radio link is very robust with no problems. PM me if you are interested because I really can`t see me using it again. I have a module to fit JR so will keep a couple of Rxs to use with that.

Mike, I have to keep asking a club guru almost every time I need to do something different. He has been in on it from the very start so knows the system inside out. I got him to reprogram everything so that all my Rxs work as they should and was glad that I did not try it myself, being too old now to take on the computer programmer terms involved with setting up a new model, not a problem for younger, more computer savvy people. I actually really like the system but have made a few mistakes such as reversed trims which is easy to do with hindsight, so shall stick with my DSM2 (and one or two others) which I have a lot of and find quite easy.

No point in hanging on to a set of gear which I am not happy to use any more in new set ups so it may as well go to someone who would appreciate it more.

MattyB has a very good point about being able to hold an Frsky tranny before purchase, have been a very satisfied Frsky user for many years well before the Taranis was on the market. With a Futaba 9C on a Frsky module and a Futaba FF6 with hack module.

A couple of years or so ago I decided the old 9C was getting a bit long in the tooth and the Taranis X7 had just come out, so I went for one. Had a very steep learning curve with Open TX but really liked the power of the system. The problem was when I actually went to fly the X7 I just could not get on with how the TX sat in my hands (I'm a mode 1 thumbs flyer), it felt like the sticks were too low on the case and I was just not comfortable with it.

This was when I clapped eyes on the Horus X12S and just loved the look of them...... Couldn't resist it and bought one, when I actually got hold of it, it weighed a ton!! and is rather large for someone with quite small hands. There I am with two very good trannies that I don't like the feel of and every time i picked up the old 9C it just felt right.

This was when I bit the bullet and sold both the X7 and the Horus, then purchased a Taranis X9D Plus SE, which I am relieved to say feels just right and has been brilliant for the last two years.

Have looked at the Horus X10S longingly but it is a similar shape to the X7 as is the new X20/24 by the looks of it, so I'm sticking with the X9D for the time being. The trouble is you can't just go into a shop and actually get the feel for the things, because they are not in the shops and I'm the only flyer in our club that runs Frsky, you don't even see them for sale at the shows, if we had any that is.

Anyway rambled on a bit there but MattyB has a point.

Posted by Mike Blandford on 24/01/2021 19:29:27:

Martin (M): You may still find that erskyTx is easier to use than openTx then, I've tried to make it much more friendly.
There are a couple of screen shots in my albums.

Mike

Mike, it's not the operating system that I have a problem with, it's the actual shape and stick positioning of the transmitter case I don't like.

Mike, I am not looking for another set at the moment because I have three DSX9`s plus an i10 and i6 with countless rxs. I fancied trying the FrSky because of the limitless features and the fact that the case is a copy of a JR so am familiar with the layout and feel. This may help anyone thinking of the more comfortable X9D if they can get their hands on any JR set before purchase.

Martin M - ta for describing me as "younger and more computer savvy". I am in my sixties and starting to struggle with technology in general.smiley

No doubt OpenTx can be a steep learning curve but I have quite enjoyed the challenge of doing something that's more complex than pressing a couple of buttons . Horses for courses, and nice we have the choice.

Another +1 for the feel of the X9D - I personally find it more comfy than the Spektrum DX6 and DX7 I have. Again, nice to have a choice of styles - for now at least

GG

This is the video I always recommend to anyone starting in OpenTX - understand this flow and everything else (certainly 95% of the features most of us use) become relatively simple to implement.

PS - There are no "computer programmer terms" or "coding" involved in setting up a model in OpenTX. The only way you would get into code is if you choose to dabble in LUA scripts, but LUA is completely separate from model setup and operation so if you don't want to you never have to touch it (I have only ever used other people LUA widgets on a couple of occasions just t see how it works and what it was capable of).

Posted by Martin Arnold 1 on 24/01/2021 19:12:42:

...Have looked at the Horus X10S longingly but it is a similar shape to the X7 as is the new X20/24 by the looks of it, so I'm sticking with the X9D for the time being. The trouble is you can't just go into a shop and actually get the feel for the things, because they are not in the shops and I'm the only flyer in our club that runs Frsky, you don't even see them for sale at the shows, if we had any that is.

I think the X20/24 will feel quite different, as although it has what initially appear to be similar looks to the previous Horus TXs it's actually quite differently shaped around the back. Most obviously it's a lot thinner than those TXs, but it also features removeable rubber bolsters that should be "tuneable" (i.e. come in different thicknesses to taste) according to rumours. The inability to hold one issue won't go away of course, but I do think it is likely to feel significantly more "conventional" in the hand than it's predecessors...

Rob, I bought a QX7 a couple of years back when things were looking a bit flakey with Horizon Hobby, and I had (unfounded) concerns about continuing support for my Spektrum gear.

The QX7 is an amazingly capable piece of kit for the price. Although it has a slightly cheap appearance it feels solid enough and the stick feel is excellent. I had an initial problem because in my ignorance I ordered a "universal" rx, only to discover it was anything but, and T9 Hobbysport replaced it with an EU/LBT version which worked with no problem. I've had quite a few flights with it and it's been perfect, but I have struggled with setting up as all my other models have Spekky stuff, so I don't use the FrSky gear enough to get familiar with it.

Meanwhile, issues with Spektrum/HH seem to have settled down, and FrSky have confused me with ACCESS and various other updates, so I've decided to park it and keep going with Spektrum, which I have always been happy with.

MattyB is a dedicated and knowledgeable OpenTable user, and his summary above is very balanced.

Keep us posted on how you get on with the Radiomaster. That would not be an option for me as one of the clubs I am in does not permit mixing brands of tx and rx.

Thanks to MattyB for posting that link. I have viewed quite a few videos by Painless360 and his are great for conveying simply how to do things in OpenTX we all take for granted with Spektrum et al. I was sold on multi-protocol because (a) it seems far more flexible (b) when you are increasing the number of channels you need it gets much cheaper for receivers etc. (c) you can buy add-on kit such as a variometer much cheaper (£15 for FrSky compared to £79 for Spektrum) (d) I can use my existing receivers (e) no limit on the number of models.

My kit is arriving tomorrow - good price from HobbyRC here in the UK. I will let you know how I get on.

PC, I think that it is possibly due to the rumours that Spekky does not like Orange Rxs which could be true although I have never had any problems using them with JR. After all, in the days of 35mHz you could use pretty much any make you wished. My club still has a silly rule saying that you must not fly adjacent frequencies on 35.

No reason whatsoever not to use a protocol compatible Rx.

Martin: You could be right, but those were - as you say - just rumours. The only compatibility issues I ever experienced with DSM-2/X stuff was the Orange Tx module, which wouldn't work the throttle on small Bind'N'Fly models.

The only real issue on 35 MHz was people using the wrong crystal combinations, and even then the most cursory of range checks would reveal the problem!

Do these people still insist on having someone carry a red flag in front of your car when you arrive at the field, I wonder?

On a similar note, not far from me is a mobile phone mast. Someone has sprayed graffiti on it which reads "5G-Covid"! Aside from the fact that 5G hasn't reached our neck of the woods (and is unlikely too for some time!), what on earth makes people think that a low level RF signal can cause a virus born disease?

I despair of our education system!

--

Pete