Radiomaster

Outrunner

a bit of feedback for everyone(T16s owners) today was my first flight since October 20,and first flight using the Radiomaster T16s/hitec RX.i carried out a range test and committed my test model to the air...no problems to report and the first flight a success.

T16s,hitec Optima RX.....module is now running vV1.3.2.61.......open TX version is 2.3.11

ken anderson...ne..1...open TX dept.

2 hours ago, Peter Hill said:

Glad it went well Ken. Is it just the Frsky protocols that need the RF fine tuning or all protocols?

Pete

FrSky protocols when used with FrSky receivers don't need fine tuning.

Edited by Andy48

Thanks for reply.I managed to answer my question by internet search. It seems it's a good idea to carry out the fine tune where possible,no matter what protocol,

due to variations in the oscillator crystals used in multiprotocol modules. BTW Andy,I found the documentation that you provided me the link to,very informative.Thankyou.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy48 said:

FrSky protocols when used with FrSky receivers don't need fine tuning.

FrSky protocols, when used with a FrSky Tx module and FrSky receiver don't need fine tuning.

Any Multiprotocol module using a protocol with the CC2500 RF chip (that includes FrSky protocols) do need fine tuning. I have several MPM modules (6 I think!) and they are all different, varying between -40 and +40 when using FrSky protocols.

Mike

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Peter Hill said:

Glad it went well Ken. Is it just the Frsky protocols that need the RF fine tuning or all protocols?

Pete

hello Peter,

here's what happened with my radiomaster(fine tuning)i only use hitec 2.4 optima rx.when i bought the set and had a go setting up a model(bearing in mind) i had never used open TX,i set up one of my models and fine tuned it/worked out the median etc and that was that. After about 1 week and reading up about  open tx,i kept seeing that you were recommended to have the latest release of it on your set,so i updated the o/tx,and then when i went into the model set up the update your module was flashing,so i also did the same.

after i went back to the model set up to re-bind as recommened.i thought i better fine tune again.the RSSI was around 112,and soon as i tried to fine tune i lost the signal either way,not even getting one increment! This set off alarm bells in my head thinking the worst. I scoured the internet for explanations ect,couldnt find anything as such...thinking i had done something wrong.....and contacted a fellow forumite who has a lot of experience with o/t.i even rolled back everything to different versions of open tx/module firmware. 

still no difference....so two days ago off i went to our strip did a range test and flew the model as i would fly as normal,no warnings about lost signal/telemetry or anything so there you go,my experience........ i only have hitec 2.4 rx's,so will wait and when i get a different brand see what the crack is with them re-fine tuning...... 

ken anderson...ne..1...fine tuning dept.

Thanks Mike.

Ken...it's weird that you lost the signal,one increment either way whilst trying to fine tune but had no problems with range test  and/or loss of signal/telemetry while flying. I'm a little baffled by it (then again that's my normal state!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

hello Peter,

here's what happened with my radiomaster(fine tuning)i only use hitec 2.4 optima rx.when i bought the set and had a go setting up a model(bearing in mind) i had never used open TX,i set up one of my models and fine tuned it/worked out the median etc and that was that. After about 1 week and reading up about  open tx,i kept seeing that you were recommended to have the latest release of it on your set,so i updated the o/tx,and then when i went into the model set up the update your module was flashing,so i also did the same.

after i went back to the model set up to re-bind as recommened.i thought i better fine tune again.the RSSI was around 112,and soon as i tried to fine tune i lost the signal either way,not even getting one increment! This set off alarm bells in my head thinking the worst. I scoured the internet for explanations ect,couldnt find anything as such...thinking i had done something wrong.....and contacted a fellow forumite who has a lot of experience with o/t.i even rolled back everything to different versions of open tx/module firmware. 

still no difference....so two days ago off i went to our strip did a range test and flew the model as i would fly as normal,no warnings about lost signal/telemetry or anything so there you go,my experience........ i only have hitec 2.4 rx's,so will wait and when i get a different brand see what the crack is with them re-fine tuning...... 

ken anderson...ne..1...fine tuning dept.

Ken. I get exactly the same result as you with the Hitec Optima receiver, if I move one click away from zero then I lose connection and a RSSI signal lost warning but as yet I've not tried an Optima in flight. I have though tried a Hitec Red Minima Ikonnik receiver, range tested and worked fine in flight although it was a very small park flyer type model.

I need to flight test a Hitec Optima receiver in flight but I'm in hurry as I got the Radiomaster as a backup in case my Hitec Aurora dies on me. I'm using the Radiomaster in smaller park fly and boats for the present.

Phil

• Like 1

well there you go Phil, fear not i sent my model up and away and had no issues at all....it was a bit unnerving when i set things up,but after a bit research etc......and the first time out with it,i resigned myself to the fact that the set up was ok,2nd by the proving flight...maybe the latest firmware update for the module did it...

ken anderson...ne..1...module dept. 

• Thanks 1

I've flashed the Radiomaster 4 in 1 with the latest firmware, as it's a test build do I need to change it back again or wait for an approval of this build? 

Now with Hitec Optima selected it behaves in a more expected fashion, I lose connection at about +64 and about -64 so if my understanding is correct it should be set on 0

It needs range testing yet but I will report back later.

Phil

• Like 2

I'd change back if you are going to fly with it if I were you @Outrunner. There are plenty of warnings about not using the test firmware in anger where you downloaded it from. Maybe feed back your findings to help the team decide that the tweak has worked. I suspect that @Mike Blandford will be keeping an eye on this thread and may do that anyway.

You now at least know that "0" is the right setting for your tranny, and that "should be" what the latest stable build uses, with no fine tuning applied.

Edited by Gary Manuel
  • Like 2

I'm not planning on flying with my Optima receivers yet as I'm still (slowly) evaluating Radiomaster and only using it in a parkfly model and boats. I'm still using my Hitec Aurora for my main transmitter as it's too good to retire. I will switch back to the latest release though.

Phil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outrunner said:

I'm not planning on flying with my Optima receivers yet as I'm still (slowly) evaluating Radiomaster and only using it in a parkfly model and boats. I'm still using my Hitec Aurora for my main transmitter as it's too good to retire. I will switch back to the latest release though.

Phil

Good plan. Even though you won't be using Optima receivers, the tweaks may have affected some other parts or made the module unstable.

36 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

well done Phil, so the setting was the same(0) but you had to fine tune the T16 to achieve the setting...i'll wait until the make the update permanent.

ken anderson...ne..1..update dept. 

Ken, when you update your T16 it will be interesting to see what fine tuning setting you arrive at, please keep us posted.

Mike, thank you for your help in getting the changes made and sharing your knowledge.

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...