Laser 200 in line twin - retro fit

Ron Gray

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

DH Comet with twin inlines....drool. But, if you go that route you will need another reverse rotation job so thats 3 engines i can chalk you up for as you need a matched pair for that, plus a 360 inline should i ever get it done....plus, a pair of 160v's for the whirlwind. Sounds very lucrative but the patio scenario could be a problem. 

That said, they would all look the same. Just make sure they are not all visible at the same time!

Are you sure she hasn’t employed you as a hitman or at least a setup man?🤔🤭😂

I had better check the life insurance 😂

I did the same with the moulded gliders, they were all yellow with red undersides, alright one was blue underneath, but my down fall was the all yellow Lunak, it might have been the 4m span and enormous fuselage and chord that gave it away, I barely got away with that, then when we were moving she was helping me carry them and it dawned on her there was far more than one yellow model! And that is when the first injury came🤣

• Haha 2

A little advice required if I may please chaps.

On my twins in the past I have generally used two tanks because I had the room, this time I have room for one large tank 16-20oz but the two 8oz tanks would just go in but with no room at all for any isolation materials at all, also meant taking out some structural parts that is too complicated to overcome.

I had intended to just use two pick ups one for each cylinder making it simple and just add a vent to the top of the tank which I do have plenty of room for, I then thought one pick up and a T piece in the feed for each cylinder so bought one of these in the picture, it seems too small and restrictive to me more like a piece for air retracts systems, what is the general consensus of the way forward and what do you use please? Also has anyone sourced more suitable T pieces?

Cheers

Nige.

6BBCB3FE-8358-4729-BA55-35FBF8EC98A5.jpeg

Our V twin's will not tolerate a fuel T but the flat and inline engines do not seem to care. I suspect this is due to the way the induction pulses overlap eachother. In any event i do not think you will suffer any restriction as the needle is the limiting factor here. I see people going on about big bore tubing to deliver more fuel to the engine and i just laugh as they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. 

Thanks Jon, they seem a lot smaller in outside diameter ( I know the the work is done on the inside) is a lot smaller than the carb but I have not checked it with the fuel tube yet so I maybe surprised, I take your point as to the needles, obvious I guess but this is sold as a fuel part so I should give it a go, although it is tempting just to use the two pick ups as I originally thought especially if I am correct and this is a source of leaks as I envisage, I will do a more serious check shortly.

I did try out the t piece for fit, obviously looks were deceptive!🙄 the bore is identical to the carbs the fit into to fuel tube I have is fine but I think a clip or binding will be done as a belt and braces to avoid leaks as it is just not confidence building but I will open a new reel of fuel tube to double check the fit, I think my doubts have been because I never use filters or the like inline and was always of the thought the more you put into the line the more there is to cause a problem, I have filters in the fuel bottle and the feed from the pump, never on the model, but thanks Ron I am just going to use the Tee as is I feel confident it will be fine just ensure the fit is secure.

16 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

When I first used a Tee on my 20OFT I didn’t wire or tie the connections which resulted in air getting into the line resulting in some nice backfiring. Having zip tied them all the problem has now gone away.

Thanks Ron, I was beginning to feel I was over thinking this, I have a habit of taking the longer and harder way round things 😂 I will just use it and tie the connections, it will be accessible to change if needs be but I don’t imagine it would come to that.

On 30/07/2022 at 10:53, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I suspect this is due to the way the induction pulses overlap eachother.

Pressure pulse moves from one carb to the other?

I guess with twin clunks that would have the entire volume of the tank to buffer it?

Suppose you could fix it with some kind of float chamber but why bother if the simple answer is twin clunks.

22 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Even easier if you also use a fill valve as the three line tank setup can be used.

As least until the valve leaks air 😉 

But yes the general issue is that the V's carbs seem to steal fuel from eachother causing problems but the ft and i do not

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2022 at 15:42, Jon - Laser Engines said:

At the moment i am not sending the inline's out of the UK as its just too complicated if there is problem. I already sent one out against my better judgement and it turned into a nightmare for all involved. Until the testing is finished and it is a standard stock item they are uk only im afraid. 

ahhhh Jon shes purring like a kitten.  You were up front with your reservations and I'm a happy customer.

42 minutes ago, Ted Khinsoe said:

ahhhh Jon shes purring like a kitten.  You were up front with your reservations and I'm a happy customer.

Yea but it was still a headache for everyone 😞 At least its working now. Has the model flown much?