Hello

Hi just signed up to the forum. I used to do some RC flying back about 20 years ago, and following retirement as a result of Covid I thought I would get back into RC flying again.

I have a question though.

I would like to have a go at building a new model aircraft with electric power, but all my radio control gear is 35MHz based. I have a vast collection of servos and receivers and am not sure whether these would be suitable for a new electric powered aircraft.

Anyone willing to give me some advice on this please?

I can't afford to invest in a 2.4GHz system at the present time.

Your comments/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gary

Your 35mhz gear is still legal and valid. There a quite a few flyers still using it.

Find a club/ clubs near you and contact them or take a visit...not easy or practical at this point in time. Email might be a good bet at the moment, ( I’ve had 2-3 prospective members email or phone me).

Gary

Nothing wrong with 35 MHz gear. I still use a 20 year old Futaba SkySport 6A.

You may find your servos are a bit big and heavy compared to what is used today for a modest electric plane where weight is important as you are flying with a relatively big heavy battery however brushless motor are powerful!

electric flying is a bit different (you can switch off & on as many times as you like in flight!) so it pays to start simple to get the hang of how it all works and feels.

A contact with a club is a good idea and visit when possible but remember you now have to be registered with the CAA and pass a simple theory test before you can fly legally. It is also a good idea to get insurance. Most clubs now insist on it however it may be included in the club fees along with membership of the BMFA. The club will advise on the process.

If you wish and have the facility to fly alone it is perfectly possible to do everything required by yourself - I did.